Second Cake Disaster Just Need To Vent

Decorating By paula1234 Updated 2 May 2009 , 5:15pm by paula1234

paula1234 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
paula1234 Posted 2 May 2009 , 3:19am
post #1 of 6

This is the second cake disaster I have had out of 4 years doing the cake thing. My first was nit all that bad, the gumpaste flowers just fell off, put back on, no biggie. This time was a different story. I had a cake due today around 2:30 pm. Baked a sheet cake yesterday to feed 40 people. It was for a girl turning 12. She is into horses, her mother wanted a chocolate transfer of a horse, and picket fence around the cake out of chocolate, also. Got my 16 year old to put my cake into the oven and I started getting everything ready for my transfers. About 30 minutes into baking the cake ( I am baking the cake in the kitchen in the house instead of my garage. where I have my bakery) I start to smell the cake and think who opened the oven door. My 15 year old said Mom you might want to check your cake. I say, oh, it's fine. He says, then why is the kitchen filled with smoke. I jump up, hobble to the kitchen, but wait, where is the kitchen? There is so much smoke, I am not sure if I am in the kitchen or not. Find the stove, get my cake out, then put the fire out in the oven. Mean while my 19 year old get the dogs out of the smoke filled house (with a broke back and in a brace). Trevor, my 15 year old is still somewhere in the kitchen with his eyes as big as they could be with his mouth hanging open ( I am sure he suffered smoke inhalation). Meanwhile my other son tanner comes in and asks what happened? I proceed to tell him and he gets this funny look on his face. Then it hit me like a ton of bricks. I had asked him to put the cake into the oven. I asked him what he did and he proceeded to tell me that the cake pan wasn't filled all the way to t he top of the pan, so he put the rest of the cake mix in. I tried my best to take a deep breath and count to ten, but every time I did I coughed froim all the smoke. I tell him to go check on paw to see if he is ok. never saw that child move so fast. so I go to my shop, bake cake, an hour behind, up to 2 am, finishing my transfer. everything is done for the night. go to bed get up. finally got my cake iced, ready for transfers, only have an hour to get the cake to its destination, and i take the horse out of the fridge to put on cake and the door to the fridge swings back, and catches my hand and the horse shattered into a million pieces. Tanner, who started this domino affect, home from school for a doctors appt. looks at me and says you sweep I'll start the chocolate pot. any way, it finally all worked out, second horse looked alot better than first, I am trying to get my pictures upload, My 19 year old broke his back, just walking is going to upload the sunday, sorry so long.

5 replies
margaretb Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
margaretb Posted 2 May 2009 , 3:30am
post #2 of 6

Oh no but HA HA I could TOTALLY see one of the guys in my house "helping" out by filling the pan. Thank goodness it all worked out.

cricket0616 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cricket0616 Posted 2 May 2009 , 3:32am
post #3 of 6

Sorry it was such a bad day. I am sure you will look back on this one day and laugh. We all have those kind of days. Here to a much better weekend!!!

in2cakes2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
in2cakes2 Posted 2 May 2009 , 3:35am
post #4 of 6

icon_rolleyes.gif This so sounds like something my 16 yo son would do.

aliciag829 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
aliciag829 Posted 2 May 2009 , 3:47am
post #5 of 6

Sounds like your kids got a valuable baking lesson today. icon_lol.gif

Sorry to hear about your disaster but I'm glad it worked out for you in the end!

paula1234 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
paula1234 Posted 2 May 2009 , 5:15pm
post #6 of 6

I forgot to mention that after we delivered the cake, my 16 year old had a doctor's appt at 3:30 pm, which we made on time, and we didn't get to see the doctor until 7 pm. yep, he was that far behind. when we got into the room, the nurses and everyone was kinda looking at us strange, we had forgot to change clothes, we had buttercream and chocolate everywhere on us, including our faces. we were too frazzled to notice. we had some story to tell everyone. They all thought that was so funny. We're still not laughing, too exhausted, we will look back on this and laugh, we always do!!!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%