Carving A Butterfly Shape Out Of Sheet Cake

Decorating By Angie1968 Updated 2 May 2009 , 5:18am by panchanewjersey

Angie1968 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Angie1968 Posted 2 May 2009 , 1:38am
post #1 of 4

I am new to the forum so I hope I am doing this right?? I need some guidance on carving a butterfly shape out of a sheet cake and also it needs to feed approx 30 people. Has anyone done this before?

3 replies
deliciously_decadent Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
deliciously_decadent Posted 2 May 2009 , 5:05am
post #2 of 4

ok the no fail easiest way to do a butterfly is get a 10" round as it feeds 30 desert. get a round cutter or glass and cut a circle out the middle (butterflies head) then make twoocuts slighty to each side of the center so that you are left with two semi circles and two rectangles
so round piece - head
2 semi circles are the wings
2 small rectangles - joined to gether is the body
arange pieces to make the butterfly and ice, this is the most basic no fail butterfly carving there is, if you want a picture of how to cut PM me with your email and i will send you one

deliciously_decadent Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
deliciously_decadent Posted 2 May 2009 , 5:06am
post #3 of 4

the other way is to get a sheet cake that will feed slightly more than 30 (to allow for offcuts) print a pic of a butterfly, blow it up to the size of the sheet cake, cutit out and use as a template for cutting the cake into shape

panchanewjersey Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
panchanewjersey Posted 2 May 2009 , 5:18am
post #4 of 4

Found a video to give you an idea on how to cut the rounds to make the cake I'm guessing you can use any size rounds to get 30 servings. And I know you can do a much better job than the lady on the video. Hope it works!

http://www.metacafe.com/watch/1701945/how_to_make_a_butterfly_birthday_cake/

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%