Mmf On Stacked Cakes??

Decorating By bemshelt Updated 10 May 2009 , 3:54pm by bemshelt

bemshelt Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bemshelt Posted 2 May 2009 , 1:21am
post #1 of 6

I am not new to cake decorating but I am very new to fondant. I've used fondant on quiet a few cakes and I love the way it looks. The only time I have issues is when I try to stack cakes that are covered in MMF. It always buckles icon_cry.gif . Does this always happen? Does anyone use MMF on stacked cakes? I have a four tiered cake coming up in a couple of weeks and I'm worried about it since it is stacked and she wants fondant icon_rolleyes.gif . Suggestions my cake loving friends

5 replies
kelleym Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kelleym Posted 2 May 2009 , 1:23am
post #2 of 6

I've used MMF many times on stacked cakes with no problems. What kind of support system do you use?

bemshelt Posted 2 May 2009 , 1:28am
post #3 of 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by kelleym

I've used MMF many times on stacked cakes with no problems. What kind of support system do you use?

I've been using the Wilton plastic dowels. I used to use wooden dowels but I read somewhere that they could pull moisture and start to mildew and I'm scared to death now. What kind do you suggest? This is going to be the largest cake I've ever done and I'm so so nervous.

MBHazel Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MBHazel Posted 2 May 2009 , 1:42am
post #4 of 6

Just curious, are you trimming the fondant at the bottom of the cake and adding a border, or are you tucking some of the fondant under the cake board. If the tucked part is too thick it could push up the fondant on the sides of the cake. Any pressure would have to be released somewhere and the sides of the cake would be the easiest spot. Just a guess though.

queenie1958 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
queenie1958 Posted 5 May 2009 , 12:27am
post #5 of 6

I'm also making my first stacked mmf cake and want to avoid buckles.
Will keep looking on this forum.

bemshelt Posted 10 May 2009 , 3:54pm
post #6 of 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by queenie1958

I'm also making my first stacked mmf cake and want to avoid buckles.
Will keep looking on this forum.

I think this post kinda died icon_sad.gif BUT...I will email you how my cake comes out and we'll chat icon_wink.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%