How Would You Go About Constructing This Into Cake?

Decorating By springlakecake Updated 2 May 2009 , 12:10pm by springlakecake

springlakecake Posted 1 May 2009 , 11:38pm
post #1 of 5

I know this is an unsual cake, but I'd like some tips on how you all creative minds would go about making it. The customer sent me this design and is giving me the weekend to mull it over and we'll talk next week. We had originally talked about having the sock part cake, but I am kind of thinking that perhaps it might be better to make the base cake and the sock out of crispy treats or styrofoam. I guess I am worried about the height and narrowness of the sock. I dont really know how to apply fondant to a shape like that. Any ideas
LL

4 replies
deliciously_decadent Posted 2 May 2009 , 5:18am
post #2 of 5

ok you could definately do the RKT idea, how many do you need to feed? i think it would ROCK if it was cake though and you can totally do it!! i would bake either 2 4 o"o5" tiers or an extended height tier for the leg part of the sock and then a 5" or 6" sqaure would bee enought to carve to foot from you would just need a support dowel throught the center of the leg part to keep it all together and to coveryou would just wrap it in fondant (roll out your fondant and lay it over the top of the foot anf front of the leg part, wrap around to the back and push together and cut excess with a sharp knife, the straighter and smoother the cut the better, snooth it over with some alcohol and it will be hardly visable. then add a cap to the top (cut a circle the same size as the top of the sock stick on and smooth edges in same way, add you diammonds (cut squares from fondant and stick on with alcohol or water) then add you black doted lines and voila! it would be even easier if you could talk her into stripy sock as then you could just use strips of fondant!! make sure to mark the detail, like where the heel is socks always have a stitching mark and around the toes they usually have a seem. that would be faniastic! feel free to pick my brain!! i am making a high heel boot in a few weeks so have nutted out the ideas for that thus how i can pass this idea onto you as it is very similar in theory icon_smile.gif

patticakesnc Posted 2 May 2009 , 5:23am
post #3 of 5

Candy Clay or RKT definitly.

KoryAK Posted 2 May 2009 , 5:31am
post #4 of 5

For me, RKT all the way.

springlakecake Posted 2 May 2009 , 12:10pm
post #5 of 5

thanks...! I just dont know! I told my DH about my rice crispy treat idea and he gave me this look icon_confused.gif . He's like oh you can make that out of cake. I wanted to tell him to shush up because he's never decorated a cake LOL!

I don't think the cake actually need to feed any certain amout of people. It's more about making a statement. the back story is that he works for a sock company and has been trying to get an appointment (or at least a response) from a local large chain store that is headquartered in the area. He's hoping this might be a way to get them noticed!

I've never applied fondant to anything other than from the top..and so far so good, but I havent made anything tall and skinny either. I guess beyond getting the fondant on there I am worrying that it will start to sag/buckle/lean.

I think I am leaning toward the RKT thing.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%