Nfsc Or Something Different For A Change? Need Advise Please

Baking By auntbeesbaking Updated 8 May 2009 , 1:35pm by Luvsthedogs

auntbeesbaking Posted 1 May 2009 , 9:41pm
post #1 of 13

May I ask if someone has a recipe for a change of pace other than NFSC? I don't know if I"m getting bored with them or I need to intensify the flavor to them? Because of nut allergies, I don't use almond extract but do add extra vanilla.

I would still like the cookies (I personally love soft cookies!) to keep their shape for decorating.

Thank you so much CC friends! icon_smile.gif

12 replies
cylstrial Posted 2 May 2009 , 1:20pm
post #2 of 13

I have a recipe that I love! I'm not sure where it came from! I wish I knew so that I could give credit to someone.

Sugar Cookies
Yields: 24 (Depending on the size and thickness of the cookies)

1 cup butter, softened (I use Blue Bonnett spread in stick form)
1 cup granulated sugar
1 large egg
1-1/2 teaspoons vanilla
3 cups all purpose flour
1-1/4 teaspoons baking powder

1. Beat together butter and sugar until light and fluffy.
2. Add egg and vanilla, mix until just combined.
3. Add flour and baking powder in intervals. Dough will seem as if it doesn't have enough moisture, but continue to mix with mixer until combined (it will come together).
4. Divide the dough into 4 equal parts, shape into 4 disks, wrap with plastic wrap and refrigerate about an hour or until firm.
5. Preheat the oven to 375F. Lightly grease baking sheets or line with parchment paper or a non-stick baking mat.
6. Roll out dough between 2 sheets of waxed paper. (If you want crisper cookies, roll the dough to a 1/4 inch thick. If you want softer cookies, roll the dough to a 1/3 inch thick). Cut out shapes with cookie cutters and place on prepared baking sheets.
7. Bake for 7-8 minutes or until edges just start to turn a golden color. For softer cookies, do not allow the cookies to take on color.
8. Remove from the oven, let cool for one minute and then transfer to a wire rack.
9. Allow cookie sheet to cool thoroughly before placing uncooked dough on it. Decorate cookies with Royal Icing or Buttercream Frosting or Sprinkles.

Dough can be stored in freezer, undecorated, for 2 months.

bonniebakes Posted 2 May 2009 , 6:24pm
post #3 of 13

cylstrial - that's almost the same as the NFCS recipe, but cut in half and with slightly less baking powder.

That's just about what I use, but I reduce the BP to 1 teaspoon and add another 1/2 teaspoon of vanilla.

cylstrial Posted 2 May 2009 , 9:54pm
post #4 of 13

Thanks Bonnie! That's good to know! And I might have to try it your way with the BP and the extra vanilla. That sounds really good to me!

cookiemookie Posted 3 May 2009 , 1:46pm
post #5 of 13

Just get yourself some Penzeys double strength vanilla and use it as you normally would.

It's fantastic. The big bottle(not sure if the smaller size comes with it) even has a whole vanilla bean in it. I use that at the end of a bottle. Just scrap the seeds and add with the vanilla. So good!(your cookies will have tiny specks but just label them vanilla bean flavor.)

Seriously, this is good stuff. Makes grocery store bought look like it's watered down.

Or you could just add some vanilla beans to the brand you use and let it steep for awhile.

bonniebakes Posted 3 May 2009 , 1:56pm
post #6 of 13

I also use vanilla bean paste instead of extract. It has a really strong vanilla flavor that way....

jdconcc Posted 4 May 2009 , 6:14am
post #7 of 13

I love the sound of this recipe, I've been trying to find the NFSC one, but the searches were not working properly. How long do these cookies last. I've got 50 to make for a wedding and want to allow for icing/drying time but also want them to be as fresh as possible and not sure on timings.

Thanks for any help.
Claire

bonniebakes Posted 4 May 2009 , 10:30pm
post #8 of 13

Claire - I try not to let them go more than 5-7 days, from the time I make the dough to the time I expect them to be eaten.

They do freeze OK, though - either iced or uniced - they are a little bit more crisp after they've been frozen.

Personally, I think anything that has been in a freezer has a "freezer" taste, but no one else that I have ever given them to can tell if they've been frozen or not. I've even done "blind taste tests." I think my taste buds are just very, very sensitive.

jdconcc Posted 5 May 2009 , 9:45am
post #9 of 13

Thanks for that I'm going to try them out for my daughter's party on saturday and see how I get on. I'm also going to try Antonia74 icing instead of the fondant I usually use so I think a dry run onm 5 year olds is probably a good idea.

Thanks again for the advice.

auntbeesbaking Posted 5 May 2009 , 12:51pm
post #10 of 13

Thank you everyone for your imput. As I ran out of time, I did end up doing the NFSC but with Watkins Double Strength Vanilla I had just received for my birthday. I did do something differently also. Instead of doing RI, I did Michele's original fondant and put it on immediately after the cookies came out of the oven. Boy, that was so much quicker than "gluing" them with thinned down corn syrup!

Happy Baking, everyone!

pinkflower1212 Posted 6 May 2009 , 2:43pm
post #11 of 13

Auntbeezbaking: If you like the way NFSC recipe works, just change up your flavoring instead of vanilla. I do that with my White Almond Sour Cream Cake (WASC for short). There is a whole thread called Gourmet Flavors on here for cakes, but what I've learned is that if you have a basic recipe that you like, then change out some liquid or in this case the extract for something else.

I did my first ever NFSC this past weekend, and did mine Pina Colada flavor. You can go to amoretti dot com and click on pastry for all their flavor compounds and extracts. Then click on Contact Us and fill it out. In the box tell them what you would be interested in. Their Customer Service is super friendly, and usually call you within the business day. They will send you free samples. They would rather you try before you buy so that you are not stuck with it. I even have mimosa compond, and margarita compound along with Prickly Pear.

I used the Pina Colada Compound for my cookies, and I've used the Orange Zest Extract Oil for cookies too, and they have a BubbleGum Extract that I will be using to make some Bobby Jack (monkey with the bubble gum blown bubble) cookies for my daughter.

Basiclly if you like the way NFSC works for you as a cookie, just change up the flavoring. It has done me woders for my WASC cakes I make, and is promising in my cookie adventure. Good Luck!

GeminiRJ Posted 7 May 2009 , 11:47am
post #12 of 13

I use the same recipe bonniebakes uses. It's wonderful when you add 3 oz. of unsweetened, premelted baking chocolate (added after the egg and vanilla). For even more chocolate, fold in 1 cup mini-chocolate chips to the chocolate dough after all the flour has been added. Extra yumm!

Luvsthedogs Posted 8 May 2009 , 1:35pm
post #13 of 13

I, too was looking for a different recipe and tried the Best Ever Cream Cheese recipe by bsawyer 78

http://www.cakecentral.com/cake_recipe-7462-Best-Ever-Cream-Cheese-Sugar-Cookies.html

The recipe is AWESOME! A tender cookie yet sturdy enough to decorate. Next time I make them I'll be sure to roll the dough 1/4" thick, think I did them a little too thin this time. I tried them thin as I didn't know if they would puff up or spread - they didn't change shape/size very much. The dough is easy to work with, too.

Tasty!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%