Transporting Cakes

Decorating By imamommy1205 Updated 1 May 2009 , 8:26pm by panchanewjersey

imamommy1205 Posted 1 May 2009 , 2:33pm
post #1 of 8

I am transporting a cake an hour next weekend. It is only 2 tiers, but I have never driven with a teired cake before. I have a Jeep Commander, but I will be taking my 3 yo (this i for my cousin's birthday, she will be turning icon_cool.gif, so I cant lay all the seats down. Although I think the middle seat (we have a 3 row) will let you leave one seat up and lay 2 down, so I might be able to at least see it...not that I could do anything if it started to fall. Are there any precautions I need to take to make sure the cake wont fall over while I am driving? I am using rolled buttercream to cover the cakes (the birthday girl likes that better), so I am kind of weary of waiting to stack it until I get there bc the rolled bc is so soft, I dont want to leave fingerprints in it or otherwise mess it up. All help would be appreciated! icon_smile.gif

I dont know if this matters, but the bottom tier will be on a cake board.

7 replies
Shelly4481 Posted 1 May 2009 , 2:49pm
post #2 of 8

I have had to travel with cakes, and I just make sure the cake is sitting flat. If you can have it in the front seat while you drive you could watch it. I usually put a towel or something in the seat to make it flat. I have also put the cake board inside something like a larger cake pan, or a box to keep it from moving around. You can put a non skid mat (like those kitchen cabinet liners) in the bottom to keep it from moving. Most of the time I put it in the back of my suv and drive very careful. No sudden stops or taking off to fast. Give yourself extra time to get there. I also keep cake in fridge till I have to leave, a cold cake travels better. Hope this helps.

CandyLady Posted 1 May 2009 , 5:51pm
post #3 of 8

I agree. I always keep the trunk of my SUV lined with the rubbermaid shelf liner. I transported a two tier and actually drove a dowel rod through the center of both cakes to be sure they did not move...don't be nervous, just watch the pot holes along the way. Here in Ohio they are still filling them in from the winter.

pattycakesnj Posted 1 May 2009 , 6:00pm
post #4 of 8

I agree with candylady, drive a dowel down thru both tiers. I did this and drove 90 minutes with a 3 tier topsy turvy in my suv. I too use the shelf liner for no slipping around. Good luck

imamommy1205 Posted 1 May 2009 , 8:12pm
post #5 of 8

Thanks for the tips!!

grammynan Posted 1 May 2009 , 8:18pm
post #6 of 8

How difficult is it to drive a dowel through the center of a multi-tiered cake?
I've had a couple of instances that I wanted to do that, but I was afraid I would destroy the cake.

pattycakesnj Posted 1 May 2009 , 8:25pm
post #7 of 8

not hard to do at all. I sharpen the end of the wooden dowel to a point, and with a small craft hammer, just pound it down. Obviously it goes easy thru the cake and just give it a little extra pound to go thru the cake board. Then I use another dowel on top of the original dowel to push the original below the surface

panchanewjersey Posted 1 May 2009 , 8:26pm
post #8 of 8

Don't forget to dowel it and make sure you HAVE a non skid mat under your cake, it will save your life.... I mean save your cake. It has mine. I think every cake I've made drives over an hour and I won't ever do it without the non skid mat.

Quote by @%username% on %date%