Crumb Coating Problems

Decorating By CookieMeister Updated 1 May 2009 , 7:03pm by CookieMeister

CookieMeister  Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CookieMeister Posted 1 May 2009 , 12:44pm
post #1 of 9

I made a bridal shower cake, and had an issue with the crumb coating. I made the cake on Wednesday night, let it cool and then applied the crumb coating. Thursday night I iced and decorated it. When I iced the cake, the crumb coating actually peeled up (adhered to the additional icing I was applying) as I tried to spread the additional icing. It was like I hadn't let it dry, but it had overnight to crust. (yes, I did use a crusting buttercream) Upset me horribly because it was very difficult to get the cake smooth.

It has been rainy here for the last week - is this a humidity problem? Why would it do this?

8 replies
 Loucinda  Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Loucinda Posted 1 May 2009 , 1:36pm
post #2 of 9

Sometimes if the crumb coat is too thick that will happen. You should be able to "see through" the crumb coat......very thin.

pianocat  Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pianocat Posted 1 May 2009 , 1:44pm
post #3 of 9

I personally don't crumb coat-I use the icer tip from Wilton and just put on a heavy coat with that and smooth. If I'm doing a choc. cake I will sometimes crumb coat- but it should be a thin coat as pp said.

aggiechef  Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
aggiechef Posted 1 May 2009 , 1:55pm
post #4 of 9

I usually don't crumb coat either. I'm like pianocat in that I use the Wilton icer tip. Sometimes if your icing isn't the right consistency, it will peel off the crumb coat and tear the cake.

bakingatthebeach  Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bakingatthebeach Posted 1 May 2009 , 1:57pm
post #5 of 9

It might of been humidity, although Im in SC and we are humid and I have never had that issue. I too just crumbcoat so that it just holds the crumbs down, I dont crumb coat so it looks iced. That might have been the problem if you did that.

Loucinda  Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Loucinda Posted 1 May 2009 , 2:00pm
post #6 of 9

Sometimes if the crumb coat is too thick that will happen. You should be able to "see through" the crumb coat......very thin.

DianeLM  Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DianeLM Posted 1 May 2009 , 2:15pm
post #7 of 9

I have that problem if I let my crumb coat sit, like you did. I ice immediately after crumb-coating and don't have a problem.

CanadianCakin  Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CanadianCakin Posted 1 May 2009 , 3:19pm
post #8 of 9

Thanks for the tips I always have isues with my crumb coat!!

CookieMeister  Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CookieMeister Posted 1 May 2009 , 7:03pm
post #9 of 9

I bet I had it too thick. Lesson for next time! Thanks!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%