Crumb Coating Problems

Decorating By CookieMeister Updated 1 May 2009 , 7:03pm by CookieMeister

CookieMeister Posted 1 May 2009 , 12:44pm
post #1 of 9

I made a bridal shower cake, and had an issue with the crumb coating. I made the cake on Wednesday night, let it cool and then applied the crumb coating. Thursday night I iced and decorated it. When I iced the cake, the crumb coating actually peeled up (adhered to the additional icing I was applying) as I tried to spread the additional icing. It was like I hadn't let it dry, but it had overnight to crust. (yes, I did use a crusting buttercream) Upset me horribly because it was very difficult to get the cake smooth.

It has been rainy here for the last week - is this a humidity problem? Why would it do this?

8 replies
Loucinda Posted 1 May 2009 , 1:36pm
post #2 of 9

Sometimes if the crumb coat is too thick that will happen. You should be able to "see through" the crumb coat......very thin.

pianocat Posted 1 May 2009 , 1:44pm
post #3 of 9

I personally don't crumb coat-I use the icer tip from Wilton and just put on a heavy coat with that and smooth. If I'm doing a choc. cake I will sometimes crumb coat- but it should be a thin coat as pp said.

aggiechef Posted 1 May 2009 , 1:55pm
post #4 of 9

I usually don't crumb coat either. I'm like pianocat in that I use the Wilton icer tip. Sometimes if your icing isn't the right consistency, it will peel off the crumb coat and tear the cake.

bakingatthebeach Posted 1 May 2009 , 1:57pm
post #5 of 9

It might of been humidity, although Im in SC and we are humid and I have never had that issue. I too just crumbcoat so that it just holds the crumbs down, I dont crumb coat so it looks iced. That might have been the problem if you did that.

Loucinda Posted 1 May 2009 , 2:00pm
post #6 of 9

Sometimes if the crumb coat is too thick that will happen. You should be able to "see through" the crumb coat......very thin.

DianeLM Posted 1 May 2009 , 2:15pm
post #7 of 9

I have that problem if I let my crumb coat sit, like you did. I ice immediately after crumb-coating and don't have a problem.

CanadianCakin Posted 1 May 2009 , 3:19pm
post #8 of 9

Thanks for the tips I always have isues with my crumb coat!!

CookieMeister Posted 1 May 2009 , 7:03pm
post #9 of 9

I bet I had it too thick. Lesson for next time! Thanks!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%