Which Meringue Buttercream???

Baking By jdelectables Updated 19 May 2009 , 5:18am by ceshell

jdelectables Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jdelectables Posted 1 May 2009 , 12:02pm
post #1 of 5

I would like to add a meringue buttercream to my menu. Which one is the tastiest (some of tasted are like eating a stick of butter)? Which one is the simplest to make? I'd love to get your opinions!

4 replies
jdelectables Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jdelectables Posted 1 May 2009 , 4:41pm
post #2 of 5

anyone?

__Jamie__ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
__Jamie__ Posted 1 May 2009 , 4:55pm
post #3 of 5

SMBC...look up The Well Dress Cake version in here. It's what I use. And no, it doesn't taste like a stick of butter if made properly. Or, if you go to google, just type in SMBC jkalman, and it will redirect you back to the link here in CC.

__Jamie__ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ceshell Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ceshell Posted 19 May 2009 , 5:18am
post #5 of 5

I love the Cake Bible's Mousseline Buttercream; it's an Italian Meringue BC (IMBC). I can't get SMBC to work for me, I always scramble the eggs no matter what I do. However since the ew in IMBC are not heated to a safe temperature, I always use pasteurized egg whites. Just don't use the name brand (Just Whites) as they won't whip up. I have had no problems with generic brands whipping up.

My above comment kind of plays into which one is simplest to make. SMBC is MUCH simpler to make in theory, but you have to be good enough at it to not scramble the eggs. The sugar syrup part of IMBC is a PITA but I have consistent results using that technique. I think "simplest" all comes down to what YOU are comfortable with. If you can master SMBC, well then that's also simpler because you don't have to worry about purchasing carton or powdered EW.

As Jamie mentioned, you just need to add enough flavoring and it will taste smooth+silky. Buttery, yes, but not like butter. That goes for any of the recipes, really. Add 1/4c melted chocolate if you want it even less buttery. Mmmmm.....

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%