Rock Candy

Decorating By maddiseeyore Updated 2 May 2009 , 5:39pm by Kitagrl

maddiseeyore Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
maddiseeyore Posted 1 May 2009 , 10:39am
post #1 of 7

How do I make rock candy? Does anyone know? I need to make the purple colored amythest that are inside a geode rock. I'm sure someone out there has a recipie! Thank you!

6 replies
Suewillo Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Suewillo Posted 2 May 2009 , 3:29pm
post #2 of 7

you can buy rock candy from bulk barn. It's chocolate inside and it taste yummy.

Sue

mommyle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mommyle Posted 2 May 2009 , 3:41pm
post #3 of 7

do you mean that you have to make the outside rock too? or just the amethist? making hard candy is SUPER easy!!! If you are making suckers or something smooth, you need to add some corn syrup, but if you are looking for the "unpolished" look, just take twice as much sugar as water, and boil it with food coloring in a pot on the stove until it reaches the hard crack stage (300degreesF I think), then take it out and pour it into a pie tin (or any tin plate) that has been generously lubbed with Pam. It will crack and break and do all sorts of stuff, it's really cool. Oh, and add some flavoring too. Yummy!!!!

LittleLinda Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LittleLinda Posted 2 May 2009 , 4:13pm
post #4 of 7

I remember growing sugar crystals in a jar as a kid. I looked it up and found a tutorial. It takes a few days, though.

http://chemistry.about.com/od/growingcrystals/ht/blsugarcrystal.htm

maddiseeyore Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
maddiseeyore Posted 2 May 2009 , 4:32pm
post #5 of 7

Thanks for the hints! Yes, I have to make both the outside of the rock and the crystals inside! I'm gathering tips now but the cake isn't due until June. I plan on making a round geode with the clear and amethyst crystals inside, similar to this real one

http://www.mineralmuseum.org/pictures/geodes/DSCN1081.jpg.

The rock candy instructions will be perfect and I want to try growing the crystals too! If anyone has any ideas for making the outside surface of the rock look all 'rocky' (!) I'd love to hear them! Thank you all, you're great!
Jackie

mommyle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mommyle Posted 2 May 2009 , 5:28pm
post #6 of 7

What about using modelling chocolate and wrapping it around the crystals? You could use a ball mold, get the general shape and have it hollow, put the crystal in, and then when you are putting the two halves together it will kind of misshape and be more 'rocky'.

Kitagrl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kitagrl Posted 2 May 2009 , 5:39pm
post #7 of 7

I made a geode for my dad once using the ball pan and cheesecake...haha it kinda fell apart but it looked good long enough for him to appreciate it!

I bought the purple "amythest" rock candy at a bulk candy store (can also sometimes find it at Cracker Barrel or Michael's) and then the crushed cracker crust looked kinda of "sandy/rocky". Or you could just use a greyish marbled fondant and then roughly texture it.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%