Help With Frosting

Decorating By ashk36 Updated 1 May 2009 , 4:59pm by ashk36

ashk36 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ashk36 Posted 1 May 2009 , 2:25am
post #1 of 4

Alright, this may be a silly question, but I have to ask. I'm making a cake this Saturday for a friend's daughter. It will be covered in fondant. But what I want to know is how can I make the layers of frosting between cake THICK. I swear every time I make a cake the frosting smooshes out of the sides and there's hardly any between cake layers. I want thick layers between the cake. Oh and it's gonna be chocolate. Maybe a tasty recipe that'll hold up well might be what I need. Please help!

3 replies
Deb_ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Deb_ Posted 1 May 2009 , 2:40am
post #2 of 4

Hi,

In order to keep that filling where it belongs you need to first pipe a good stiff dam of icing around the perimeter of the layer then fill it with your filling of choice.

A good thick *fudgie* filling is one that jodief suggested to me one time. Mix 1 can of sweetened condensed milk with a 12oz pkg of melted choc chips, stir til smooth.

This is awesome on brownies or as a filling. It thickens to a real *fudgie* consistency and it stays put in between cake layers.

HTH
Deb

xstitcher Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
xstitcher Posted 1 May 2009 , 5:12am
post #3 of 4

You can also add powdered sugar to your icing until it is nearly thick enough to roll into a ball and use that to pipe your dam as well. When you put your filling keep the height the same as the dam (make sure you do not go higher than the dam itself.

ashk36 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ashk36 Posted 1 May 2009 , 4:59pm
post #4 of 4

Awesome, thanks so much. I've put a lot of work into this cake already and I want it to taste as great as it's going to look. And believe me, it's gonna look GOOD!! Haha

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%