"absolutely No ... Commercial Advertisments"

Lounge By shanna_banana Updated 5 May 2009 , 2:59am by JanH

shanna_banana Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
shanna_banana Posted 1 May 2009 , 12:55am
post #1 of 13

I'm not sure if this is the area to post this, but here goes. I was reading in some of the other forum topics (mostly "How To ...") and one CC'er offered to share one of her recipes for white chocolate fondant.

So I emailed her and in her reply all she did was try to sell me her DVD. She is a long time member and I'm curious why no one has said anything before. I've seen MANY posts by her where she offers to "share" a recipe or instructions etc.

The subject line is a direct quote from the rules of forum posting. Maybe I'm too new and this is an "OK" thing to do, but it doesn't seem like it. Now I'm afraid she's going to put me on her business' email list!

Can someone please tell me if I am in the right about this or if I don't have a clue what I am talking about?

Thanks,
Frustrated Newbie

12 replies
Deb_ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Deb_ Posted 1 May 2009 , 1:48am
post #2 of 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by shanna_banana

I'm not sure if this is the area to post this, but here goes. I was reading in some of the other forum topics (mostly "How To ...") and one CC'er offered to share one of her recipes for white chocolate fondant.

So I emailed her and in her reply all she did was try to sell me her DVD. She is a long time member and I'm curious why no one has said anything before. I've seen MANY posts by her where she offers to "share" a recipe or instructions etc.

The subject line is a direct quote from the rules of forum posting. Maybe I'm too new and this is an "OK" thing to do, but it doesn't seem like it. Now I'm afraid she's going to put me on her business' email list!

Can someone please tell me if I am in the right about this or if I don't have a clue what I am talking about?

Thanks,
Frustrated Newbie

Sorry I'm not getting your question. icon_confused.gif

Yes, some members here advertise their products in their subject lines.......all of the ones I've seen do this have gotten permission to do so from the site's administrators.

Are you asking if this member is wrong to push her DVD's on you in an e-mail?

CakeDiva73 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakeDiva73 Posted 1 May 2009 , 4:31am
post #3 of 13

I think I know who you are talking about and have always had wonderful dealings with her. If it is SS, do you realize that her products are for sale on the site sponsered by CC? (Or maybe it's vice versa - not sure.)

All I know is that all of the SS DVD's are available thru GSA, so she is an "official" seller - not just someone who came up with a product and is trying to make a buck by advertising it here.

Are you wondering why she offered it on the CC board but then advertised her DVD when you contacted her directly? I am a bit confused by the OP and what the problem was........

miss-tiff Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
miss-tiff Posted 1 May 2009 , 5:26am
post #4 of 13

If I understand correctly, the OP probably feels misled. She sent off the email expecting to receive a recipe that had been offered. Instead she received a promotional message and the fear of being spammed by giving out her email, but no recipe. Am I right?

luvsfreebies72 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
luvsfreebies72 Posted 1 May 2009 , 5:34am
post #5 of 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by miss-tiff

If I understand correctly, the OP probably feels misled. She sent off the email expecting to receive a recipe that had been offered. Instead she received a promotional message and the fear of being spammed by giving out her email, but no recipe. Am I right?

that's how I read it

ceshell Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ceshell Posted 1 May 2009 , 8:53am
post #6 of 13

FWIW, those of you speculating, I don't believe it's SS, as I did a search and no threads really match this issue.

I saw the thread where Jen.D. mentions her wcf recipe but she didn't actually offer it up to people (there's another thread where she offered to share an ICING recipe that she uses under the fondant, but she did not offer the fondant recipe itself; could that be the misunderstanding?). Maybe she does not share certain proprietary recipes for free. It's funny though, if she responded simply "Sorry, I don't give that recipe out" then people would get ticked off that she's not sharing; so this way she is simply providing further information. I'm not sure that a response to a question which states that certain information is only available on her dvd, qualifies as a "commercial advertisement," but I could be wrong!

If I'm on target, I hope that helps a bit; if I'm totally off here, well, oops, sorry! icon_redface.gif I could be off-base anyway and y'all could feel that she shouldn't mention her fondant at ALL if she's not going to give the recipe away for free...?

Also if you emailed her rather than PMing her, I would think you would only need to simply email her again and specifically request to be removed from any mailing lists, just to make sure. (Regardless, I don't think CC has a policy prohibiting people from trying to sell you their wares if you contact them thru their business email.)

AKA_cupcakeshoppe Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AKA_cupcakeshoppe Posted 1 May 2009 , 9:07am
post #7 of 13

If it's a recipe that she put in her book or her DVD then I respect her decision to not share the recipe for free. It would only be fair to the people who actually bought it.

ziggytarheel Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ziggytarheel Posted 1 May 2009 , 10:29am
post #8 of 13

I've always been impressed with how the people on CC have respected those who make a living selling their cake related products. I give two thumbs up to those who do not post the recipes, tips, etc. in their dvds, books, etc.

Are you offended that she wouldn't give you for free what she sells?

lardbutt Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lardbutt Posted 1 May 2009 , 5:15pm
post #9 of 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by luvsfreebies72

Quote:
Originally Posted by miss-tiff

that's how I read it

me three! lol
It sounded to me like someone offered a recipe in a thread if you contact them, and after contacting them, they tried to sell a dvd.

AKA_cupcakeshoppe Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AKA_cupcakeshoppe Posted 1 May 2009 , 5:18pm
post #10 of 13

hmmm i hope the OP can clarify exactly what happened.

Deb_ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Deb_ Posted 1 May 2009 , 7:59pm
post #11 of 13

I think ceshell got it right, I too found those 2 threads she mentioned. To me there was no wrong doing icon_rolleyes.gif

dailey Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dailey Posted 3 May 2009 , 2:27pm
post #12 of 13

i think the whole purpose of this thread is so the op can call attention to the fact that a member of cc didn't give her a recipe. seriously, why come and post about it? maybe she/he decided they no longer want to give it out?

you can always buy the dvd...

JanH Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JanH Posted 5 May 2009 , 2:59am
post #13 of 13

Possible violations of CC policies should be brought to the attention of the site administrators or moderators.

Just hit the "Report as a bad post" button or pm.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%