Ruby Slippers From Wizard Of Oz...

Decorating By sheilabelle Updated 6 May 2009 , 11:57am by Sweet_Toof

sheilabelle Posted 1 May 2009 , 12:20am
post #1 of 11

I was asked to make a cake for our school that is going to be raffled off as a fund raiser. The theme is "The Wizard Of Oz". Part of what I want to do thumbs_up.gif is the Wicked Witch's feet sticking out from under the house with the rubby slippers on her. I was thinking of using edible red glitter to give the slippers that special sparkle. What do you think would be the best way to apply the glitter without getting it all over. I was going to make the legs and shoes out of gumpaste as all one piece. Thanks for any and all advice.

10 replies
JenniferMI Posted 1 May 2009 , 12:26am
post #2 of 11

Piping gel would probably make it stick really well.

Jen icon_smile.gif

unexperienced Posted 1 May 2009 , 1:03am
post #3 of 11

i also think that brushing some Karo syrup on just before the glitter might work..I also found the neatest most sparkly glitter at countrykitchensa.com in case you need a neat glitter

leslie2748 Posted 1 May 2009 , 1:08am
post #4 of 11

DISCO DUST! Is the best icon_surprised.gif)

Bellatheball Posted 1 May 2009 , 2:15am
post #5 of 11

I have a few pairs of Dorothy shoes in my photos. For the larger shoes, I simply painted them with a light coat of meringue powder and water and dipped them into sanding sugar. For the little shoes, I molded them by hand and then did the same thing. HTH.

sheilabelle Posted 1 May 2009 , 10:35am
post #6 of 11

Bellatheball - I looked at your Wizard cake - LOVE IT! That is similar to what I want to do. Not quite as much detail on the sides. Did you have any problems with the sugar sticking where you didn't put the meringue powder?

Loucinda Posted 1 May 2009 , 12:39pm
post #7 of 11

I just made a ruby slipper this week! Here is the link to the pic of it, it is a heel and not a flat though.

I made it out of gumpaste, let it dry, then painted it red with airbrush paint - then sprinkled the red disco dust on it. It turned out gorgeous!!

http://www.cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=gallery&file=displayimage&pid=1357359

leslie2748 Posted 1 May 2009 , 2:20pm
post #8 of 11

http://www.ladycakes.com/yellow_brick_road.htm

You MUST look at this link, I have been saving it for if I ever want to do a Wizard of Oz cake and think this is so sweet. The addition of the slipper would be darling!

sheilabelle Posted 1 May 2009 , 6:31pm
post #9 of 11

leslie2748 - that cake is awesome. I hope mine turns out half as fantastic as that. Wish me luck. I need to start working on it next week. Today I finished a wedding shower cake and a topper for a grandmother for Mother's Day. I'm whipped (or should I say, I'm a wimp!).

Bellatheball Posted 6 May 2009 , 3:17am
post #10 of 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by sheilabelle

Bellatheball - I looked at your Wizard cake - LOVE IT! That is similar to what I want to do. Not quite as much detail on the sides. Did you have any problems with the sugar sticking where you didn't put the meringue powder?

Sorry I didn't see this sooner. Nope. It only stuck to the wet parts. icon_biggrin.gif

Sweet_Toof Posted 6 May 2009 , 11:57am
post #11 of 11

That sounds so awesome!
Be sure to send me a pic when you've completed it. The Wizard of Oz will always be one of my very favourites!.. or in this case flavourite hehe

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%