momtofourmonkeys Posted 1 May 2009 , 6:00pm
post #31 of 81

That is too cute! Made me smile! thumbs_up.gif

Ruth0209 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Ruth0209 Posted 1 May 2009 , 6:00pm
post #32 of 81
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kitagrl

...Nothing wrong with saying "Hey there is a new flu going around...we are researching it....it will make you pretty sick but shouldn't kill you if you are otherwise healthy....

But this is where you're wrong. All reports I've heard have said this is where this flu IS different in that it has killed many otherwise perfectly healthy people. That's why people need to know to get into the doctor quickly so they can be treated.

They've said the cases in the U.S. are milder because people here typically are being treated better and sooner. And why would that be? Because we know from the media coverage that we need to do that.

When most of us have the flu, we don't even go to the doctor. We just ride it out. I'm not all hysterical over this, but I'm sure as heck glad that in this case if I get sick I should get immediate medical care and not expose others.

pouchet82 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pouchet82 Posted 1 May 2009 , 6:08pm
post #33 of 81
Quote:
Originally Posted by ziggytarheel

Quote:

True, which is why I think the hysteria should be saved for WHEN people's lungs start filling up with fluid. haha.

I think so many things are some sort of political chess move but then this isn't a forum for politics so I refrain. thumbs_up.gif

I do hope the flu is quarantined soon though. so that the virus worries will not stretch into the summer.

I have a ticket to fly west to see a friend this summer, I sure would hate to see travel restrictions made or something. Ugh.

Yeah, I'm really afraid that if this thing does manage to go somewhat dormant, mutate, and reemerge next fall that the public will think that the media/government is again crying "Wolf". icon_sad.gif

Ok, something wrong with my computer, so I will try posting this again. I may be totally wrong but what I learnt in a pathology course a few years ago is that a flu virus cannot mutate when it travels from human to human. It become dangerous when the virus jumps species, ie (I will avoid using pigs) If the virus starts in a sheep, and then infects a horse who then goes on to infect a human, it has the potential to mutate. That is why viruses, such as avian flu, an the spanish flu (which was also believed to be some form of a bird flu) are so dangerous. But I do agree with everyone here, so far the cases outside of Mexico have been much more mild, perhaps because once it crossed boarders we were more aware, making the time until treatment much shorter. Also, in the past flu days we have found that Tamiflu is an effective treatment, whereas those first infected in Mexico wouldn't have recieved this treatment, and it was likely they didnyt know what was causing the "mysterious illness". FYI, the toddler from Mexico entered the US on April 4th, I expect that it was at least 3 weeks before it was recognized she was sick, and that could be why she passed away.

Kitagrl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kitagrl Posted 1 May 2009 , 6:11pm
post #34 of 81

Actually...if everybody jumps to the dr's office with a sniffle, scared they have this flu...its the fastest way to get everybody else sick.

Ever take your kid in for a pediatrician checkup and by the next week they have whatever the latest virus is?

The doctors offices are going to be where this thing gets spread, especially if everyone panics and runs to the doctor immediately.

Remember all these documented cases are just people who went to the dr, and the dr decided to test for swine flu. How many more get sick for a week, shrug, and get over it? Same for the regular flu, too.

tx_cupcake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tx_cupcake Posted 1 May 2009 , 6:14pm
post #35 of 81
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth0209

Quote:

...Nothing wrong with saying "Hey there is a new flu going around...we are researching it....it will make you pretty sick but shouldn't kill you if you are otherwise healthy....

But this is where you're wrong. All reports I've heard have said this is where this flu IS different in that it has killed many otherwise perfectly healthy people. That's why people need to know to get into the doctor quickly so they can be treated.

They've said the cases in the U.S. are milder because people here typically are being treated better and sooner. And why would that be? Because we know from the media coverage that we need to do that.

When most of us have the flu, we don't even go to the doctor. We just ride it out. I'm not all hysterical over this, but I'm sure as heck glad that in this case if I get sick I should get immediate medical care and not expose others.

My Godfather works in the upper echelons of the health care industry in the DFW area, and this is the email he sent to me along with all of my family members:

Hi family,
PLEASE don't be cavalier about the H1N1 virus (swine flu). Working with 8 of the 10 infectious disease physicians in Fort Worth (only 2 don't work for us) I can tell you that they are pretty concerned about this mutant strain. It is moving amazingly fast among the populous that isn't usually vulnerable to the flu, the relatively young and healthy, as opposed to those over 65 and under 14. If you get the symptoms, headache, bone pain, extreme fatigue PLEASE don't blow it off and not contact your primary care physician. Exposing others when you may be feeling sick is extremely irresponsible. Ignoring symptoms is also irresponsible. While most of us are very likely to survive the infection, we can't risk exposing those who are vulnerable. Get plenty of vitamin C and plenty of antioxidants and promote your immune systems.

I, for one, will be listening to his advice - not only because he is family, but because he works with people in the "know".

Tita9499 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Tita9499 Posted 1 May 2009 , 6:20pm
post #36 of 81

I'll be the first to raise my hand and be called "crazy lady".

My DH works in a major Army Medical Center in TX so he has to sit throw 2 briefings a day concerning this Flu virus. My husband is the last person to worry, he's never been one to become anxious, even over very serious matters. But for some reason he's been voicing concerns about this particular virus. He can't go into detail with me about the briefings, and I don't ask because I am a worrier.

I still go out to do my grocery shopping, but I don't take my children. I'm going to err on the side of caution for their sake. They are only 3 and I'm a SAHM mom so it's nothing too far out of the ordinary for us. I'm not willing to expose them to anyone who may have it because I know their immune systems aren't as strong as mine, but that's just my stance on the situation.

Just don't get in people's faces, wash your hands for thirty seconds and rinse with warm water and be smart about where you go...this too shall pass.

tamarawagner99 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tamarawagner99 Posted 1 May 2009 , 6:20pm
post #37 of 81
Quote:
Originally Posted by BCJean

Please don't think I am taking the flu outbreak lightly but I just received this photo and thought I would pass it on.

It is my understanding that this is how you catch it.

Ha! I saw this on a friend of a friend's Facebook page, and totally thought it was their kid...guess not!

And as far as Ziggy's and Kita's comments, I think you are exactly right... And I would've been one of those people that ignore the warnings the next time around because I never know when the frenzy of warnings in the media is something I really need to worry about for my own personal safety (and that of my family), or if I just need to continue to practice good common sense and hygiene. I just get easily tired of all of the panicky-pete hysteria over it.

Kitagrl Posted 1 May 2009 , 6:26pm
post #38 of 81

They've been "warning" us for a couple years now that there "might be" another "flu pandemic" so to me, I feel like they are excited that a new virus has come on the scene so that their worries have been justified.

I guess I could be wrong.... but they've been talking about flu pandemics now for years just to get us to take the regular flu vaccines (which half the time don't even work because its impossible to accurately choose the predominate strain per season) and I would rather they just chill...yeah keep us informed, but not all this hysteria.

Tita9499 Posted 1 May 2009 , 6:26pm
post #39 of 81
Quote:
Originally Posted by pouchet82

I may be totally wrong but what I learnt in a pathology course a few years ago is that a flu virus cannot mutate when it travels from human to human. It become dangerous when the virus jumps species, ie (I will avoid using pigs) If the virus starts in a sheep, and then infects a horse who then goes on to infect a human, it has the potential to mutate. That is why viruses, such as avian flu, an the spanish flu (which was also believed to be some form of a bird flu) are so dangerous.

You do realize that this particular H1N1 virus is a strain that is a combination of avian, swine and human viral genes right? It has "jumped species"...I think that's why it's so powerful.

Ruth0209 Posted 1 May 2009 , 6:27pm
post #40 of 81

Thank you, Txcupcake! That's what I've been trying to say!!

By all means, if you're sick CALL your doctor first so you don't go into the waiting room and cough on everyone. But don't ignore your symptoms and think you're super woman and can muscle through it.

ziggytarheel Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ziggytarheel Posted 1 May 2009 , 6:28pm
post #41 of 81
Quote:
Originally Posted by pouchet82

Quote:
Originally Posted by ziggytarheel

Quote:

True, which is why I think the hysteria should be saved for WHEN people's lungs start filling up with fluid. haha.

I think so many things are some sort of political chess move but then this isn't a forum for politics so I refrain. thumbs_up.gif

I do hope the flu is quarantined soon though. so that the virus worries will not stretch into the summer.

I have a ticket to fly west to see a friend this summer, I sure would hate to see travel restrictions made or something. Ugh.

Yeah, I'm really afraid that if this thing does manage to go somewhat dormant, mutate, and reemerge next fall that the public will think that the media/government is again crying "Wolf". icon_sad.gif

Ok, something wrong with my computer, so I will try posting this again. I may be totally wrong but what I learnt in a pathology course a few years ago is that a flu virus cannot mutate when it travels from human to human. It become dangerous when the virus jumps species, ie (I will avoid using pigs) If the virus starts in a sheep, and then infects a horse who then goes on to infect a human, it has the potential to mutate. That is why viruses, such as avian flu, an the spanish flu (which was also believed to be some form of a bird flu) are so dangerous. But I do agree with everyone here, so far the cases outside of Mexico have been much more mild, perhaps because once it crossed boarders we were more aware, making the time until treatment much shorter. Also, in the past flu days we have found that Tamiflu is an effective treatment, whereas those first infected in Mexico wouldn't have recieved this treatment, and it was likely they didnyt know what was causing the "mysterious illness". FYI, the toddler from Mexico entered the US on April 4th, I expect that it was at least 3 weeks before it was recognized she was sick, and that could be why she passed away.

Everything I've read about flu in general and pandemics in particular talks about the virus mutating. It is also my understanding that for the "regular flu", it mutates also, making the last year's vaccine ineffective.

A quick google search yielded this article:

http://www.channelnewsasia.com/stories/afp_world/view/425104/1/.html

One other thing I wanted to mention is this thing we are referring to as the "regular flu". (What's a better layman's term?) I don't know about most places, but in my experience, more times than not when someone says they had "the flu", they didn't. They had a nasty...other virus. And because so many people wrongly call so many things "the flu", we have a general population often not understanding how sick most people get with the real "regular flu". Does that make sense?

My daughter has asthma and got the real "regular flu" as a young teen. It was very worrisome and took her a long time to recover. My son got the "real flu" as a young teen and he was very very sick for more than a week. I got the infamous "Hong Kong flu" as a child and was in bed for almost 2 weeks.

You would think that the swine flu was my passionate cause of the moment and it isn't! I just want everyone to pay attention, be aware, stay HOME if you are sick AND call your doctor. Keep your kids at home until they are well. Take care of yourself now. And, I'll put in a plug for vitamin D (and cod liver oil). icon_smile.gif

Kitagrl Posted 1 May 2009 , 6:34pm
post #42 of 81

If you research influenza, you'll find most strains actually originated from animal-human contact...its not just this one, or the "avian flu".

I totally agree with staying clean and taking vitamin C (Zicam and Airborne are AWESOME) but I do not agree with stopping life. There are many other diseases that kill people....I tend to be a worrier but I refuse to sit in a glass bubble with my family because as soon as "swine flu" is over there will be something else.

Anyway I read that the best time to catch this virus is before any symptoms arise so if its going to spread, its going to spread. Just wash your hands and use common sense. We can't duct tape our houses closed for this...save that for biowarfare or something.

(Wasn't referring to anyone here...mostly the media....seems like some days the media would like us duct taped inside our homes!)

newmansmom2004 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
newmansmom2004 Posted 1 May 2009 , 6:40pm
post #43 of 81

Just got back from doing several errands, one of which was at Target, and it was interesting to see the cashiers all using hand sanitizer before and after handling the money.

Tita9499 Posted 1 May 2009 , 6:42pm
post #44 of 81

I think anyone handling money (especially in the foodservice industry) should disinfect their hands...credit cards included. I'm not a germaphobe in the least, but I get the willies thinking about all the germs my military ID card has collected (we have to show it everytime we go on post or shop at the post exchange so people are always touching it). Yuck!

Ruth0209 Posted 1 May 2009 , 6:43pm
post #45 of 81

One more use for the amazing and versatile duct tape!!

Ziggy, I'm with ya'! I'm not standing on street corners handing out Purel, but the one thing that actually alarms me the most is the cavalier attitude of some of the comments here. I worry about how serious this could be if people don't pay attention. Don't assume you know more than the science.

And Tita's comment about the military medical center's response elevates my concern. If anything, I assume there's more I'm NOT being told than what I am told by the press. I hate to say it, but when I heard the description of this flu I thought, "Wow, that'd be some effective biological weapon..."

Rylan Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Rylan Posted 1 May 2009 , 6:44pm
post #46 of 81

I TOTALLY TOTALLY TOTALLY TOTALLY TOTALLY agree with Ruth0209's points. I've never agreed this much in my life until I've seen her statements. She has facts not opinions.

No offense Kitagrl, you have amazingly beautiful cakes however, I don't agree with your opinions.

Other than that, I just want to keep my mouth shut and just give heads up on Ruth0209.

Hope no one gets the flu.

newmansmom2004 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
newmansmom2004 Posted 1 May 2009 , 6:45pm
post #47 of 81
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tita9499

I think anyone handling money (especially in the foodservice industry) should disinfect their hands...credit cards included. I'm not a germaphobe in the least, but I get the willies thinking about all the germs my military ID card has collected (we have to show it everytime we go on post or shop at the post exchange so people are always touching it). Yuck!

I'm right there with ya. Money is just plain nasty when it comes to germs - and credit cards, ID cards, driver's license, all that stuff that gets passed around to people checking to see who you are can be just as nasty.

sweet_teeth Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweet_teeth Posted 1 May 2009 , 6:45pm
post #48 of 81

This flu isn't 'so powerful' or anything in that regard. The big deal or 'scare' of it is the fact that it's new and we do not have any natural/developed immunity built up against it. Everyday we come into contact w/ germs and the such that have the potential to get us sick. But because we have built immunities against these over the years, we are less likely to be affected by them. This is why infants need to be kept away from sick adults -- they haven't built their immunities yet. Same with senior citizens.. they have built their immunities but their immune system's become weaker with age, making it harder for them to fight off viruses that many of us would kick out of our systems quickly.

Just hope that clears it up some icon_smile.gif

Tita9499 Posted 1 May 2009 , 6:50pm
post #49 of 81

I don't mean to alarm people, I just was a bit taken aback when my DH voiced concerns over this because, like I said before, he's not a worrier. You have to remember, the government has a lot invested in military personnel so they have to stay on top of these things. If for no other reason then to prevent a pandemic...look how the Spanish Flu was spread to Europe...military servicemembers.

Just don't take it lightly, all it takes is one person who's infected to come into your home or shake your hand and you could get sick. I would hate for anyone on here to fall ill or (God forbid) die due to carelessness). The same way you wouldn't walk into the path of an oncoming train, don't expose yourself needlessly.

maryjsgirl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
maryjsgirl Posted 1 May 2009 , 7:49pm
post #50 of 81

Watch this Swine Flu PSA from the 1970's. One person died due to the flu and the US panicked. In the end more people died due to the inoculation they were pressured into getting than the flu itself.

Kitagrl Posted 1 May 2009 , 7:58pm
post #51 of 81
Quote:
Originally Posted by maryjsgirl

Watch this Swine Flu PSA from the 1970's. One person died due to the flu and the US panicked. In the end more people died due to the inoculation they were pressured into getting than the flu itself.

I'm actually kinda concerned about that....I don't want to be pressured or forced into taking a new vaccination, esp as it will be rushed and not tested properly, at least possibly.

I get my kids vaccinated as far as the regular schedule (and its plenty!) but I do not get flu vaccines nor do I accept brand new vaccines. The risk of some vaccines is not greater than the risk of the disease itself.

Ruth0209 Posted 1 May 2009 , 8:10pm
post #52 of 81

The 1976 swine flu vaccine was made with a live virus. They don't do that anymore, and it is an absolute medical fact that you cannot get the flu from a flu vaccine. People who get sick after a shot were already exposed or they're allergic to eggs.

Besides, no one is even recommending that people get a flu shot. I'm not sure how a 1976 PSA is even pertinent here.

FYI, 48 million people received those immunizations in 1976 (including me), and 400 deaths resulted from the vaccine. Too many, but not exactly epidemic proportions, either.

Kitagrl Posted 1 May 2009 , 8:47pm
post #53 of 81

I saw they are racing to make a swine flu vaccine, that's only what I meant by my post.

JenLen Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JenLen Posted 1 May 2009 , 9:11pm
post #54 of 81

This whole swine flu hype is just yet another example of how the media can manipulate public reactions!!! Fact is, if you compare the # of people who have swine flu to the # of people who have died from it, you will find that more people die each year from seasonal flu! People are just overreacting because it is a new strain. Yesterday and Today there were 12 schools that were closed in our town with NO COMFIRMED cases!!! It is ridiculous! We don't close schools for influenza....people die from that too.

Kitagrl Posted 1 May 2009 , 9:18pm
post #55 of 81

I just talked to my dad who heads a department for the Red Cross (blood banking) and he told me its overhyped...its a little worse than regular flu but no worse than the outbreaks that occur every 3-5 years. He also agrees the hype is politically motivated.

Tita9499 Posted 1 May 2009 , 9:24pm
post #56 of 81

No offense Kitagirl and truly no disrespect to your father, but I'll listen to a Preventive Medicine or Public health worker before I listen to a blood banker. And I say that as a wife to someone who used to head a blood bank.

Texas_Rose Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Texas_Rose Posted 1 May 2009 , 9:24pm
post #57 of 81
Quote:

And Tita's comment about the military medical center's response elevates my concern. If anything, I assume there's more I'm NOT being told than what I am told by the press. "

That's the way I feel about it right now. It sounds like they don't want people to panic but it's maybe worse than they're saying...look at Biden's remarks about travel yesterday and how they had to try to clean that up, and look up Dr. Gitterle's email and the statement he had to make the day after that, when the email became public knowledge.

If you look at swinemap.org it shows suspected cases as well as confirmed cases, although I've seen news reports of more suspected cases than what the map currently shows.

staceyboots Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
staceyboots Posted 1 May 2009 , 9:40pm
post #58 of 81
Quote:

One more use for the amazing and versatile duct tape!!

Ziggy, I'm with ya'! I'm not standing on street corners handing out Purel, but the one thing that actually alarms me the most is the cavalier attitude of some of the comments here. I worry about how serious this could be if people don't pay attention. Don't assume you know more than the science.

And Tita's comment about the military medical center's response elevates my concern. If anything, I assume there's more I'm NOT being told than what I am told by the press. I hate to say it, but when I heard the description of this flu I thought, "Wow, that'd be some effective biological weapon..."

Ruth

I agree with you 100%.

Let me just say that I am not a scientist or a doctor and my opinion on this may sound extremely stupid but I don't understand why they are calling this virus swine flu and the pigs aren't getting sick. With the bird flu some chickens were being slaughtered as a preventative measure and with mad cow disease, the cows were keeling over and dying...so why aren't the pigs being slaughtered?!

So I thought about it and guessed that it was some kind of biochemical attack!

Maybe my theory is correct or maybe I just watch too much 24 on Monday nights!!

Either way I am not taking any chances...I live in Barbados and the local Health Ministry has already sent 2 samples to the regional epidemiology (sp?) lab for testing.

Texas_Rose Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Texas_Rose Posted 1 May 2009 , 9:53pm
post #59 of 81
Quote:
Originally Posted by staceyboots

Let me just say that I am not a scientist or a doctor and my opinion on this may sound extremely stupid but I don't understand why they are calling this virus swine flu and the pigs aren't getting sick. With the bird flu some chickens were being slaughtered as a preventative measure and with mad cow disease, the cows were keeling over and dying...so why aren't the pigs being slaughtered?!

Swine flu is something that pigs have had for a long time and that people sometimes got from contact with pigs (like farm workers). Before it was only spread from pigs to people, and it was only a couple of cases now and then. A person couldn't get it from a pig and then spread it to other people, but now it is spreading that way. Once the virus became able to spread from person to person, that made it a lot more serious, because most of us don't come into contact with pigs very often.

And when they slaughter pork for food, they don't use the sick animals. People aren't getting the flu from eating pork. It wouldn't do any good to slaughter the pigs. With avian flu, it was suspected that people could get it from contact with sick birds. With mad cow disease, if I remember right, people could get it from eating a sick cow.

Tita9499 Posted 1 May 2009 , 9:55pm
post #60 of 81

They did kill some pigs in Egypt...they'd better not kill no pigs 'round here, cause my DH will flip! The first question he asked in the 1st briefing her had was, "Okay, I need to know right now...does this mean I can't eat pork?" LOL! He said he almost kissed the doctor when he said it was okay to eat pig.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%