Interesting Way To Cut A Cake!

Decorating By shannon100 Updated 4 May 2009 , 6:17pm by shannon100

shannon100 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
shannon100 Posted 30 Apr 2009 , 8:35pm
post #1 of 22

I made a cake for an "end of the year" luncheon for my Bible study group. (It was also for my birthday!) I decided to break in my new pan, the Kitchenaid Stacking Presents silicone pan set.

One picture is what it looked like when I was finished.

The other is what it looked like after the ladies cut it!! I've never seen a stacked cake cut like that. I thought it was pretty funny, and I knew people here would laugh with me!
LL
LL

21 replies
marisanovy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
marisanovy Posted 30 Apr 2009 , 8:49pm
post #2 of 22

Wow. How did they do that?!?! LOL

mbt4955 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mbt4955 Posted 30 Apr 2009 , 8:53pm
post #3 of 22

shannon100, how did you like that pan? I saw it at a store and picked it up several times, but I finally convinced myself that I did NOT need another cake pan. Obviously I didn't need it, since I haven't thought about it since until just now! It did look like it would make a cute cake though.

Martha

shannon100 Posted 30 Apr 2009 , 9:04pm
post #4 of 22

Martha,
It's ok. It was pretty easy to pop the cake out, but I think you could do the same kind of cake with a 9x13 and cut it up. The indentations for the ribbon make it harder to get a smooth layer of buttercream. I think if you did a dusting of powdered sugar on it, it'd be cute. Or an ice cream cake, like the box recommends. Maybe I'll try that some time. I didn't care for it much for decorating. The top tier was awful to frost! It has a bow shape in the pan so you'll get a bow in the cake. Again, if there were no frosting, it'd be cute. Overall, I don't know that I'd recommend for someone to buy it. It was a gift to me, so I wanted to use it. I may try it with fondant sometime, if I ever decided to play with fondant! (Or rolled bc maybe)

jamiekwebb Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jamiekwebb Posted 30 Apr 2009 , 9:09pm
post #5 of 22

That is too funny

aligotmatt Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
aligotmatt Posted 30 Apr 2009 , 9:14pm
post #6 of 22

Interesting is the right word... wow.

panchanewjersey Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
panchanewjersey Posted 30 Apr 2009 , 9:14pm
post #7 of 22

Looks like they loved it! lol

Spuddysmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Spuddysmom Posted 30 Apr 2009 , 9:22pm
post #8 of 22

Those Bible Study ladies must be a rough bunch! Cute cake in the before shot.

tyty Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tyty Posted 30 Apr 2009 , 9:34pm
post #9 of 22

That's pretty funny.

solascakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
solascakes Posted 30 Apr 2009 , 9:49pm
post #10 of 22

icon_biggrin.gif ,I'm sure they all must have just thought,let's hack away.

Jayde Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jayde Posted 30 Apr 2009 , 10:06pm
post #11 of 22

I ordered a small 2 tier cake for my daughters first birthday, a long time ago, really before I started caking. It was like a 6in and a 10in stacked. My cousins wife said that she would start cutting the cake for me while I went downstairs to the freezer to get the ice cream. When I came back up, I heard her make the comment that she hates it when people buy tiered cakes because they dont know how to cut them.

When I was ice cream ready I looked up and she is cutting the cake in thin pieces from the top to the bottom. She didnt separate the tiers before slicing the cake, she just cut both tiers into one thin slice! Gee, whiz I was a cake muggle back then, but even I know how to cut a tiered cake. icon_rolleyes.gif

vcm_9 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
vcm_9 Posted 30 Apr 2009 , 11:52pm
post #12 of 22

this is too funny! what are people thinking sometimes?

I had a 2 tier I did, and when the recipients sister went to cut the cake, she was going to do a nice big horizontal cut through the bottom tier...I have no idea what she was thinking?? too many samurai movies!

I intervened, took the top tier off for keeping, and cut the cake as per the instruction shee with diagrams I had supplied with the cake.

Second round of cake came round, which the caterer cut this time, and she had proceeded to cut the slices, then disasemble the layers. I'm not talking tiers, I mean each tier was 2 layers with ganache filling, she SEPARATED the layers in the tier?!??!

It's Cake-icide!! Just horrible to watch a good cake being massacred!

pastryjen Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pastryjen Posted 30 Apr 2009 , 11:59pm
post #13 of 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by vcm_9

That is FUNNY - I'd like this to be a new word in my daily vocabulary! icon_biggrin.gif

all4cake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
all4cake Posted 1 May 2009 , 12:16am
post #14 of 22

Am I blind? Did they cut through the cake boards too? Were there cake boards? That's some serious cutting going on if they managed to knife through the cake boards....

shannon100 Posted 1 May 2009 , 12:22am
post #15 of 22

Nope, there were no cake boards! It was a tiny cake. It only took 1 cake mix! I figured it was so small, it didn't need cake boards. Next time, I may put parchment paper down so the icing stays on the top of the cake and doesn't stick to the bottom of the above cake. But it doesn't need a board. If I ever make this again, it will be when I'm there to do the serving! (This was a pot-luck, so I was across the room eating as it was getting cut. I made the first cut, but never imagined someone would cut the 2nd tier before the top was taken!)

all4cake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
all4cake Posted 1 May 2009 , 12:29am
post #16 of 22

My bad...Had I paid attention to what it was sitting on, I would've realized it was smaller...It looks larger. I may have cut it that way as well...not out of ignorance more out of habit...I cut until the knife hits a 'stop'.

GenGen Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
GenGen Posted 1 May 2009 , 12:36am
post #17 of 22

however way they cut it it sure looks Delicious!!!

gscout73 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
gscout73 Posted 4 May 2009 , 1:35am
post #18 of 22

I had this happen to me when I did not use boards between each tier. They cut all they way through, then wonder why the pieces are so big and not enough servings for everyone. dunce.gif

Now, no matter what the size, I ALWAYS use boards to avoid the disaster.

luvsfreebies72 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
luvsfreebies72 Posted 4 May 2009 , 5:47am
post #19 of 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by vcm_9

this is too funny! what are people thinking sometimes?

I had a 2 tier I did, and when the recipients sister went to cut the cake, she was going to do a nice big horizontal cut through the bottom tier...I have no idea what she was thinking?? too many samurai movies!

I intervened, took the top tier off for keeping, and cut the cake as per the instruction shee with diagrams I had supplied with the cake.

Second round of cake came round, which the caterer cut this time, and she had proceeded to cut the slices, then disasemble the layers. I'm not talking tiers, I mean each tier was 2 layers with ganache filling, she SEPARATED the layers in the tier?!??!

Cake-icide!! OMG I'm dying.... that is right up there with cake-tastrophe (which is also a regular part of my vocab.) I'm soooooo adding this one

aliciag829 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
aliciag829 Posted 4 May 2009 , 5:54am
post #20 of 22

Yikes! Looks like it's time to either start cutting the cake yourself or including a cutting guide with the cake. LOL

(Still scratching my head trying to figure out what they were thinking!)

icon_lol.gificon_lol.gificon_lol.gif

AKA_cupcakeshoppe Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AKA_cupcakeshoppe Posted 4 May 2009 , 8:57am
post #21 of 22

how big was the cake? was it a mini cake?

shannon100 Posted 4 May 2009 , 6:17pm
post #22 of 22

It's a small cake. The round thing the cake is sitting on is just a regular cake carrier you get at the store, made for 8" or 9" cakes. It only took one box mix to make it.

I love the new words! cake-icide and cake-tastrophe!! love it!!! Definitely describes what happened here! icon_smile.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%