Oh No!...i Forgot To...(Sorry Long)...

Decorating By lostincake Updated 30 Apr 2009 , 8:27pm by lostincake

lostincake Posted 30 Apr 2009 , 6:55pm
post #1 of 6

...refrigerate a fruit filled cake! I'm making a 3 tier cake for Saturday and another 9" for same friend for Sunday. I baked all tiers yesterday morning & finished the blueberry filling around 4:00 PM and planned to level, fill and crumb coat in the evening.

I had a few set backs - ran out cornstarch for the strawberry filling so ended finishing that around 11:00 PM - and being my first time making so many cakes, I seriously underestimated the time needed. I ended up working into the early morning. I ended up filling the two cakes that needed fruit fillings (strawberry & blueberry) around 4 AM, and cleaned until late so only got a few hours sleep.

Then I just realized this afternoon (didn't enter my sleep deprived mind earlier!) that I forgot to put them in the fridge! I at least refrigerated the blueberry filling until I needed it but never did the strawberry one!

I just put them in around 1:00 PM today and have spent the last hour & half searching the forums to see if I seriously messed up and need to re-do it all...can't find anything sigh.

Pls help...Can someone let me know if the fillings will have been compromised?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated...TIA!

5 replies
lostincake Posted 30 Apr 2009 , 8:03pm
post #2 of 6

pls...any insight?

pattycakesnj Posted 30 Apr 2009 , 8:08pm
post #3 of 6

unless it is extremely hot in your house, you will be ok

marisanovy Posted 30 Apr 2009 , 8:13pm
post #4 of 6

I wouldn't worry about it, it should be fine. What's the temperature over there? Well, being in Canada I suppose it's not hot at all. Your fillings shoould hold fine.

I've left cakes with filling at room temperature before, and nothing bad happened (or my family would be all gone by now LOL).

The problem is dairy and eggs left out of the fridge.

pastryjen Posted 30 Apr 2009 , 8:15pm
post #5 of 6

I think you'd be fine!

lostincake Posted 30 Apr 2009 , 8:27pm
post #6 of 6

Whew! Thanks everyone...feeling much better now! You guys rock!

I was about to go and redo all the filling & crumbcoats after recooking the filling I had left. This saves me the time. I will definitely leave in the fridge until time to drop off the cake.

And it's still cool out here so it's not hot in the home at all - just about reg. room temp!

Quote by @%username% on %date%