Stars On Wire

Decorating By rfeagin Updated 23 Jun 2011 , 4:59am by Bluehue

rfeagin Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
rfeagin Posted 30 Apr 2009 , 5:55pm
post #1 of 17

How do I make stars on a wire and do I use fondant or gumpaste? Also, how do I color the stars? I need both black and yellow stars for a graduation cake.

16 replies
Hollysuann Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Hollysuann Posted 30 Apr 2009 , 7:02pm
post #2 of 17

I would use a mixture of 50% fondant and 50% gum paste. It starts out white, so use some Wilton or any other brand of icing coloring to get the mixture the color you want. Black will be hard. It takes a LOT of coloring to make black.

jsmith Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jsmith Posted 30 Apr 2009 , 7:07pm
post #3 of 17

I like to attach them by adding a little chocolate candy coating to the back after the stars have dried. Both fondant and gumpaste will work but gumpaste dries faster.

pattycakesnj Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pattycakesnj Posted 30 Apr 2009 , 7:13pm
post #4 of 17

I have put stars on wires and then tend to spin. I saw here on cc a few weeks ago where someone suggested putting the wires thru stirrers (those little straws) before inserting in cake. I actually push the wire (w/ a little water on the end) right into the fondant/gumpaste star and it will dry in place (thus no need for chocolate on the back, which once it starts getting warm, I worry about melting) and there won't be a "back" of the star, it will look good from all sides

luv_to_decorate Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
luv_to_decorate Posted 30 Apr 2009 , 7:15pm
post #5 of 17

You can paint the stars with a mixture of clear vanilla or vodka and the color gel you need for the color of the star. Make them ahead of time and paint them and give them time to dry. You may need more than one coat. If you paint them you will need to insert the wire into the stars before you paint them to keep them from being too hard after the paint dries or you will never get the wire inserted. To put it on a wire you need to make a small crook in the top of the wire. It willl look like a ornament hanger but smaller on the hook part. Dip it in a little water and insert into the star and let it dry. If they stars are pretty big you could secure them with a touch of melted candy where the wire is inserted into the star.

saycheese Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
saycheese Posted 30 Apr 2009 , 7:18pm
post #6 of 17

okay...what gauge wire do you use?

bashini Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bashini Posted 30 Apr 2009 , 7:23pm
post #7 of 17

Hi, you can use 50/50 mix of fondant and gumpaste. For yellow colour, colour the white fondant mix. But I would use already coloured fondant. You can add 1/2 a teaspoon of CMC/Tylose powder to 250g of fondant. So less work for you.

To stick the stars to the wire,you can use some sugar glue or some egg white. icon_biggrin.gif

Edited to say that you can use 22 or 24 gauge wires. icon_biggrin.gif

goldenegg Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
goldenegg Posted 30 Apr 2009 , 7:24pm
post #8 of 17

i use 18 or 20 guage, i also stick the wire directly into the bottom of the star and let it dry like that. haven't had any problems with em spinning or anything.

rfeagin Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
rfeagin Posted 1 May 2009 , 12:43pm
post #9 of 17

Do I paint the stars after I have put them on the wire and the stars have dried or do I put the color in the fondant/gum paste mixture first and then let the stars dry? Also, what brand of fondant and gumpaste do I use? Wilton? What is inexpensive, but gives good results?

bashini Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bashini Posted 1 May 2009 , 1:15pm
post #10 of 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by laylascakes

Do I paint the stars after I have put them on the wire and the stars have dried or do I put the color in the fondant/gum paste mixture first and then let the stars dry? Also, what brand of fondant and gumpaste do I use? Wilton? What is inexpensive, but gives good results?

Not sure what brand you should use. But I would colour the fondant/gumpaste mix first and then do the stars and let them dry.

Danielle1218 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Danielle1218 Posted 1 May 2009 , 1:26pm
post #11 of 17

I have seen some cakes on here with curly wires......wonder what gauge wire that is....it almost looks like jewelry wire it is so thin.

Katiekatiekatie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Katiekatiekatie Posted 1 May 2009 , 2:09pm
post #12 of 17

Although I am very new to making fondant cakes I did make a cake with stars on wire and that was the best part of that cake ( I will post a picture). I used 50/50 fondant and gumpaste I did poke the wire thru the center while it was still soft and left it out over night to dry it worked well. I used floral wire and I was able to twist the wire and make curls. The stars were ranging from 1 to 2 inches. They were different colors of the mix but I also painted a little luster dust on them to give them a little sparkle. Hope that gives you a little hint.
Katie

PLStudios Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
PLStudios Posted 22 Jun 2011 , 8:31am
post #13 of 17

I googled and came about this forum. I have just finished making several fondant stars on wires, although I found them to be spinning. So I grabbed some pliers and bent the end of each wire into a small loop. Works perfectly! icon_smile.gif

mcaulir Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mcaulir Posted 22 Jun 2011 , 9:54am
post #14 of 17

If you put the end of the wire into a flame for a second or two, then insert into the soft star, it will hold in place perfectly.

rpaige Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
rpaige Posted 22 Jun 2011 , 10:45am
post #15 of 17

Recently did stars with wire on a cake. Also needed black stars. I found it easier to start with the prepackaged Wilton mixed variety of darker fondant with flesh tones - brown, tan, light pink etc. I do not care for the taste of Wilton personally but knew that no one was going to eat these decorations. Use the darker brown and then add some black gel coloring - much easier. Insert wire when stars are still soft and let dry. You can also use the little hollow stir sticks (for stirring coffee) for support, if needed. HTH!

HeyWife Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
HeyWife Posted 23 Jun 2011 , 4:18am
post #16 of 17

I use modeling chocolate for my stars. Especially on kid cakes so they can eat them icon_smile.gif

Bluehue Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Bluehue Posted 23 Jun 2011 , 4:59am
post #17 of 17

Using either 24 or 26 gauge wires are what i use.

For this *explosion* (as we call it over here)...something exploding out of a Cake)..... i used gauge 24.
http://cakecentral.com/gallery/1800464

Curled the wires until i got the shape i required..

I colour my Fondant..then using a dash of CMC to make sure it hardens when dry.

Cut the shape out and allow it to air dry for about 5 minutes whilst it is sitting on my Mat.

Then with a thin bladed knife i transfer it to my airing racks.

Using sugar glue (equal parts of water and Sugar boiled for a minute) and allowed to cool then placed into a sterilized jar and kept in the fridge.
I dip the end of my wire into the sugar glue - then slide it into the middle of the shape i have cut out.

I leave them all on my racks (lying flat) for at least 24 hours - that way the shape hardens - and the sugar glued wire stays attached in the shape.

When the time comes to make my explosion i again slide a very thin bladed knife under each wire and shape and carefully lift and place in the Cake pick - that i am going to insert into my cake - that way no wires com into contact with the actual baked cake.

The sturdiess of the cake picks don't giveway unde the weight of all the wires - and is only about 3 inches long - - i prefer to use cake picks instead of straws as straws can sometimes giveway with the wres resting against them.

I used the same technique for this cake - only this time i used the shiny wires
http://manywhitebowls.blogspot.com/search/label/PASTEL%20PINK%20BALLERINA%20CAKE%20AND%20PARTY%20-%20CHOCOLATE%20-%20CUP%20CAKES%20-%20SMALL%20SWEETS.

Hope the way i do it helps - never had a *fall off* yet. thumbs_up.gif

I am in the middle of making a Snowflake explosiion at the moment - using gauges 24 and 26 wires to hold the different weights and sized snowflakes.

Bluehue.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%