Freezing Cakes?

Decorating By hollyh Updated 10 May 2009 , 2:35am by sweetiesbykim

hollyh Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
hollyh Posted 30 Apr 2009 , 5:00pm
post #1 of 32

I have a 100 person, 3 tiered cake due next weekend. However, I will be out of town on business Thursday and Friday. I was going to make all the cakes on Wednesday and then freeze them until Friday when I get home to decorate them. Has anyone frozen their cakes for a few days? How did it come out? Thanks so much!

31 replies
bashini Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bashini Posted 30 Apr 2009 , 5:39pm
post #2 of 32

Hi there, yes you can freeze your cakes. Not only for few days but for months. When I freeze cakes, I wrap then saran wrap and then in foil and I put them in a freezer bag too! When I want to thaw it, I take it out 1 or 2 nights before and put it in the fridge with the wrappings on. Then it out and leave it on the counter, next morning to come to room temperature.

HTH. icon_smile.gif

forthwife Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
forthwife Posted 30 Apr 2009 , 8:36pm
post #3 of 32

Freezing will change the texture of the cake. It will make it more dense. I however, LOVE THIS! It makes it more like a pound cake. I would wrap your cakes up (on a cardboard round so they keep their shape) while they are still warm. This traps all the steam and moisture in the cake (where it belongs!). Like bashini said, the them totally thaw (I do in on the counter) while complete wrapped. If you unwrap too soon, the moisture stays on the plastic and not in the cake. Good lucks!!

jamiekwebb Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jamiekwebb Posted 30 Apr 2009 , 8:59pm
post #4 of 32

I do that all the time. I actually ice while partially frozen. I have a lot less crumbs that way. I then let it set for a while and then decorate it. That way everything sticks and doesn't slide. I love they way that the cake seems more moist and dense.

kerri729 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kerri729 Posted 30 Apr 2009 , 9:05pm
post #5 of 32

I always freeze my cakes- they stay more moist that way, so even if I bake on Wednesday for a Saturday cake, I freeze for a day. Make sure you cool your cake completely (so people don't get sick), put on a cake board, wrap in Saran Wrap, then aluminum foil, then into an unscented plastic garbag or grocery bag. To thaw, set on counter, leave the wrappings on, so the condensation collects on the outside and not on the cakes. Good Luck!

drakegore Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
drakegore Posted 30 Apr 2009 , 11:46pm
post #6 of 32

hi kerri -
why can freezing before cool cause illness? i have read people doing it both ways and have never done it before, but i sure would hate to put people at risk.
thank you!
diane

pattycakesnj Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pattycakesnj Posted 30 Apr 2009 , 11:54pm
post #7 of 32

if you freeze before completely cool you run the risk of too much moisture and the cake falling apart

forthwife Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
forthwife Posted 1 May 2009 , 3:55am
post #8 of 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by kerri729

I always freeze my cakes- they stay more moist that way, so even if I bake on Wednesday for a Saturday cake, I freeze for a day. Make sure you cool your cake completely (so people don't get sick), put on a cake board, wrap in Saran Wrap, then aluminum foil, then into an unscented plastic garbag or grocery bag. To thaw, set on counter, leave the wrappings on, so the condensation collects on the outside and not on the cakes. Good Luck!

Why would anyone get sick from freezing a cake while still warm? I also wrap when warm....not hot. Don't want to burn myself icon_wink.gif

alaskagirl3 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
alaskagirl3 Posted 2 May 2009 , 12:33pm
post #9 of 32

Any answers on why someone would get sick? I realized I froze mine before they were fully cool and now afraid to serve them - please some advice.

crisseyann Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
crisseyann Posted 2 May 2009 , 12:46pm
post #10 of 32

I have heard both sides of the story on the subject that the growth of bacteria in a warm environment (uncooled cake) can cause someone to become sick. Not sure really, but I always totally cool before freezing.

lchristi27 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lchristi27 Posted 2 May 2009 , 12:56pm
post #11 of 32

If you wrap your cakes when they are warm, you can warp them too. It add's dents etc into the sides.

Rylan Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Rylan Posted 2 May 2009 , 1:11pm
post #12 of 32

I've frozen a cake days ahead and it was totally fine once thawed. That depends on your recipe of course. Just make sure you wap the cake with tons of plastic wrap and then finally wrap in it foil or put it in a huge ziploc bag so it stays sealed.

cakebaker1957 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakebaker1957 Posted 3 May 2009 , 2:59am
post #13 of 32

I just baked one tonight and put in the freezer for Thursday i always freeze them makes my time more easier i baked a 3 tier cake last year put in the freezer was gone on vacation a whole week got my next door neighbor to come over on Friday morning and lay out mycakes on the counter i came home Friday night started decorating for Saturday everyone raved about how moist it was its the Zebra cake black and white one in my pics

mclaren Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mclaren Posted 3 May 2009 , 7:39am
post #14 of 32

i have a question on cakes that are frozen for few months.

what is the difference between cakes frozen for a few months at homes and at the grocery stores?

the reason i'm asking is, i've seen postings in many threads, people criticizing grocery stores' cakes, and one of the reasons is, they are shipped frozen from some other part of the country to another part of the country, and they might have been frozen for many months.

are the freezers that store grocery stores cakes, inferior than the ones at home?

i honestly don't know, that's why i'm asking.

cutiepiecakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cutiepiecakes Posted 3 May 2009 , 7:54am
post #15 of 32

I am the same situation. I will be out of town when one of my wedding cakes will be needed - TOTAL oversight on my part. Ooooops!@ I plan to make the cake a week ahead of time, freeze it, and my sister is going to come over 2 days before it should be delivered, sit it on a countertop, and then deliver it on date it is "due." How do you freeze a decorated cake? WILL THIS WORK?? It's only a 3 tier, stacked construction.

sayhellojana Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sayhellojana Posted 3 May 2009 , 7:56am
post #16 of 32

Mclaren - the big difference is probably that CC members make their cakes to order, whereas grocery store chains bake their cakes and then try to sell them. CC members know when their cakes are going to be eaten and have control over the quality, whereas grocery stores are done so in mass quantities.

Personally, I don't freeze cakes. I have never needed to for texture and just dont agree to do cakes if I know I will be busy beforehand. But thats just my stance, I know that for some the extra moistness from freezing is really needed

newathis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
newathis Posted 3 May 2009 , 12:57pm
post #17 of 32

what about decorated cakes !?!?!? My daughter's first birthday party is on a saturday, and i have to make all the food, and it's at my home, so i have to clean and get the backyard ready, plus take care of my two young kids, and have no help !! And i have to make the cake, i really wanted to make it the week before and freeze it, but it is fondant covered and i was told not to freeze fondant !?!?!? Is this really true !?!?! What can i do, i absoluetly have no time to do it a day before two or three days!?!?! There is no way? Any suggestions would be great !

sayhellojana Posted 4 May 2009 , 1:24am
post #18 of 32

Yeah, deffinantly don't freeze fondant. I don't suggest freezing a buttercreamed or filled cake either, thats just asking for trouble.

sweet_teeth Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweet_teeth Posted 4 May 2009 , 1:32am
post #19 of 32

mclaren : Grocery store cakes are frozen and not properly wrapped, etc. Instead of wrapping them in saran wrap and ensuring they will not be freezer burnt, grocery store cakes are left in the open... this creates that 'freezer burnt' taste. Yuck!

mclaren Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mclaren Posted 4 May 2009 , 12:54pm
post #20 of 32

thanks sayhellojana & alexandrabill for the explanation!

hollyh Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
hollyh Posted 4 May 2009 , 10:04pm
post #21 of 32

Thank you all for your help!

cutiepiecakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cutiepiecakes Posted 4 May 2009 , 11:56pm
post #22 of 32

Can I freeze a DECORTAED CAKE??? Any tips, suggestions, warnings????

sayhellojana Posted 5 May 2009 , 12:37am
post #23 of 32

cutiepiecakes - I don't suggest it. Different things defrosting at different rates, plus density and moisture worries. It's just a bad idea. Besides, isn't one of the awesome things about being a decorator that you can do your cakes fresh?

KitchenKat Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KitchenKat Posted 5 May 2009 , 12:38am
post #24 of 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by cutiepiecakes

Yes you can as long as it uses with freezer stable frostings and fillings e.g. buttercream, IMBC, Mousseline, ganache. Chill in fridge till frosting is hard. then tightly seal in foil or in a box. After freezing thaw in refrigerator then only when it's completely thawed have I taken it out of the fridge. I have never frozen fondant cakes.

SJ169 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SJ169 Posted 5 May 2009 , 5:16pm
post #25 of 32

I still have a few questions about this..

I have frozed my cakes already for this weekend (this is my first time trying to freeze cakes)..I have wraped them very well in saran wrap and then wraped them in tin foil..When I take them out to thaw do i leave all of the wrapping's on or should i take everything off and then let it thaw?
I am soo soo woried that i am going to ruin the cakes but I just do not have time to make them and decorate all in the same day...

Also should I thaw it in the fridge or should i just leave it on the counter?

Thank you so so much to anyone the replies!!!

Rylan Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Rylan Posted 5 May 2009 , 9:37pm
post #26 of 32

I usually leave it wrapped to thaw. I only unwrap it when I start using them. I've thawed on the counter for just 5 hours (not completely thawed) but for safetly reason, I would suggest to thaw them in the fridge.

scnix Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
scnix Posted 7 May 2009 , 8:54pm
post #27 of 32

I have a question. I do freeze my cakes and I think it is a great idea. I have a super busy weekend and I need to make a cake for Saturday. I have already baked it and wrapped it and put it in the freezer. It is a three tiered cake. Can I decorate it and cover it in fondant Thursday night and it still be fresh for Saturday. Or do i need to wait until Friday night to decorate. I hope I can do it Thursday night. Please help me keep my cake fresh!
Thanks you guys are amazing!

tyty Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tyty Posted 7 May 2009 , 9:06pm
post #28 of 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by cutiepiecakes

I have frozen decorated cakes before. I looked up the proper freezing info on baking911. You place the decorated cake in the freezer with no wrapping until it's frozen, then take it out and wrap in saran and foil. Place it back in the freezer. To thaw, thaw in wrapping, then gently take of the wrapping. I cut the saran and lift it off gently. I have even given customers these instructions and they said they had no problem. If you have large decorations and flowers on the cake, you have to take those off before freezing.

patticake1951 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
patticake1951 Posted 7 May 2009 , 9:22pm
post #29 of 32

what about the top tier the bride and groom keep for their anniversary? If you put fondant on that is it okay to freeze or do they need to pull off the fondant? I am doing my first wedding cake for May 16th. I have started baking and freezing today.

TracyJoy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TracyJoy Posted 10 May 2009 , 1:58am
post #30 of 32

I have frozen decorated cakes a couple of times & have not had an issue AS LONG AS I wrap the cake in saran wrap once it is frozen & then defrost the cake for 1-2 full days in the fridge. My problem right now is that a friend of mine would like a cake while I am out of town. The cake will have some rice krispie stuff so I am not sure how this will work- has anyone ever tried that?

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%