Ugh- What Went Wrong?

Decorating By michr09 Updated 2 May 2009 , 1:26pm by Rylan

michr09 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
michr09 Posted 30 Apr 2009 , 4:45pm
post #1 of 9

Yesterday I attempted my first fondant cake- actually, my first cake I've ever made..lol. Total disaster, and I'm sort of discouraged. Maybe you guys can help me figure out what went wrong.
I baked 2 9inch round cakes, filled the middle with canned frosting, then stacked them.
I made MMF the night before....I THINK it turned out ok, but I have nothing to compare it to- I've never even felt fondant before.
So- I covered the cake with fondant after frosting it (which was a disaster- I couldn't get the frosting smooth) and basically my cake is VERY lumpy...you can see the indentations of the 2 layers.....part of it even tore a little.
Here's what I think may have gone wrong- PLEASE tell me any advice you may have!
1. Not enough frosting- I used 1 can to fill and cover the cake- AND it was canned frosting...maybe that's not good?
2. May have rolled mmf out too thin?
3. Maybe I'm just not cut out for this?
Please help! I really had a lot of fun doing it and would love to make the beautiful creations you all bake!!

8 replies
Baking_Booth Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Baking_Booth Posted 30 Apr 2009 , 4:51pm
post #2 of 9

That's very ambitious of you for a first cake! I'm new to baking myself but I think the bulging is probably because the canned frosting isn't thick enough.

crystalina1977 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
crystalina1977 Posted 30 Apr 2009 , 5:01pm
post #3 of 9

i think numbers one and two are your problems and not problem 3. if you tried and liked decorating then you ARE cut out for it. i would advise you to try it again, make your own frosting - look in the recipe section for buttercream dream or some other type of frosting. try looking on you tube for tonedna1, who is a member here, she provides awesome tutorial videos and one of them is how to ice a cake. do not give up!!! each time you decorate you will learn something new.
did the cake at least taste good??? that should indicate something to you!

MacsMom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MacsMom Posted 30 Apr 2009 , 5:02pm
post #4 of 9

To prevent bulging, you need a thick filling or a good strong dam (I use fondant over fruit fillings all the time with a good dam).

Before applying the fondant, make sure the crumbcoat is as smooth as you can get it. And finally, yes, you probably rolled it too thin. Thin fondant will show every tiny little flaw.

Don't get discouraged! A few more attempts at this and you will feel like a pro. I used to wonder if I'd ever get it right and suddenly it became so easy I wonder how I ever had problems in the first place.

icon_smile.gif

Misdawn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Misdawn Posted 30 Apr 2009 , 5:03pm
post #5 of 9

Canned frosting never works for me. Plus 1 can wouldn't cover ANd fill a cake that size.

tastyart Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tastyart Posted 30 Apr 2009 , 5:09pm
post #6 of 9

First of all don't get discouraged. My first fondant attempt was a mess also. I started with some ready made fondant the first time to learn what it is supposed to feel like. After that I made my own because it tasted better and was cheeper. If you want the fondant to be smooth on the completed cake, it is important to frost it smooth with the BC. The canned frosting is hard to work with because it is so sticky. The bulging between layers can be prevented by letting your cakes settle and using a good stiff dam. When I first started with fondant, I found it easier to have it fairly thick. Now that I have had more practice I can put is on thinner. My best friend when doing fondant is cornstarch. I use it liberally. I know some decorators on here don't use the cornstarch, but it works for me so I stick with it. The sugarshack DVD on Flawless Fondant has great instruction if you feel like watching the process would be helpful. I'm a visual learner so it really helped me out. I hope that helps. I'm sure your next cake will be more successful. If you enjoy it, don't give up.

sweetideas Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweetideas Posted 30 Apr 2009 , 5:25pm
post #7 of 9

Were your cakes level? If not, the indentation between layers could have been from that as well as not enough frosting. You don't want it too thick because it will smoosh out the bottom when you smooth the MMF. Wilton fondant is a little easier (ducking the rocks being thrown my way for that) but it tastes terrible. But you might try it just to get used to fondant.

michr09 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
michr09 Posted 2 May 2009 , 1:17pm
post #8 of 9

Thanks everyone! Although my cake was not pretty to look at, it tasted AWESOME!! lol

Rylan Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Rylan Posted 2 May 2009 , 1:26pm
post #9 of 9

I suggest using Indydebi's buttercream or Serious cakes. They are great. You can also use Sugarshack's recipe if you have Hi ratio shortening.

Don't lose hope. I've had problems too with my first fondant.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%