Calling All Fondant Experts - New Recipe!

Decorating By ZlatkaT Updated 2 May 2009 , 2:38pm by ninatat

ZlatkaT Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ZlatkaT Posted 30 Apr 2009 , 4:28pm
post #1 of 3

I would like to ask you what do you think is the most important part of fondant, that makes is pliable? It is gelatin or glycerin? Would Corn sirup do it? I have found recipe in Czech site that the bakers using over there. I made a batch and it tastes very good, almost like marzipan. But I have a few trouble I would like to resolve. It is mostly made from powdered milk, condesed milk, corn sirup and crisco, water.. After it sits a bit, it will become hard. What they do in CZ they microvawe a bit and roll it out. For me the taste of fondant is very important, and after trying many recipes I found on several sites, I still am not satisfied.... If you would be interested in testing this recipe and help me improve it, you could e-mail me and I will give you the recipe.
And other Q: when I roll out fondant (any kind) the site what lay on my mat and will go to the cake is rough. THe site I roll on top is smooth. I always flip the fondant on mat and then cover my cake. My mat is smooth, not wrinkled...what is the problem??? Thank you!!!!!!

2 replies
cylstrial Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cylstrial Posted 2 May 2009 , 1:40pm
post #2 of 3

I know that I have had problems with the recipes calling for too much powdered sugar in the past. I know you are using powdered milk, but if you try it again...maybe you should leave out a cup or two of powdered sugar. And then just add more when it's necessary. That might be the reason it gets so hard after it sits for a while.

As for the fondant rolling smoothly on the top side and not on the bottom ... is there anything under the mat? Sometimes there are little crumbs or even little pieces of sugar. Anything that can make it do that really. Just a thought.

Hope this helps.

ninatat Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ninatat Posted 2 May 2009 , 2:38pm
post #3 of 3

i like mmfondant your's sounds expensive to make and time consuming, do you think they just put the marzipan flavor in it.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%