Converting Chocolate Cake Recipe To White???

Baking By cookielicious Updated 19 May 2009 , 7:11am by ceshell

cookielicious Posted 30 Apr 2009 , 3:28pm
post #1 of 8

Has anyone ever converted their chocolate cake recipe to white? I have a really good, moist choco cake recipe and it only uses cocoa powder. I figure I could replace this with more flour.... right? I don't really know baking "science" so I don't know if this would screw everything up! It sounds like it would work in theory though.... There are 2 whole eggs in the choco recipe, so to make it white, would I just use egg whites? How many? Hmmm.....

7 replies
cookielicious Posted 4 May 2009 , 5:53pm
post #2 of 8

Mmmm k... I think I'm just gonna make it and see what happens. And give it away because I'm on a diet icon_smile.gif I can't have cake hainging around calling my name!!!!

brincess_b Posted 4 May 2009 , 8:23pm
post #3 of 8

let me know how it turns out, id like to know!

cookielicious Posted 6 May 2009 , 5:40pm
post #4 of 8

I do know how to spell "hanging" icon_smile.gif I guess I was typing too fast! Anyway, tried the recipe by replacing the cocoa powder with flour and adjusting the eggs so I could use mostly egg whites to keep the color white. One word- EW!!!!!! It was soooooo gross. It smelled so yucky we couldn't even taste it. The texture was gross too. Apparently there is a reason there is not info on converting choco recipes to white because no one does it! bleck.

brincess_b Posted 6 May 2009 , 6:00pm
post #5 of 8

im sorry it was such a disaster... what a shame!

ceshell Posted 19 May 2009 , 5:11am
post #6 of 8

Sorry it didn't work out. Try the Rebecca Rather "White on White Buttermilk Cake" - the recipe can be found round and about on the internet. You'll never need a different white recipe again. thumbs_up.gif

mommyle Posted 19 May 2009 , 5:19am
post #7 of 8

I also like Elisa Straus White Cake. Yummy!!!! Makes a little tacky crust on top... I love levelling that off!!! SOOOOO yummy!!!

ceshell Posted 19 May 2009 , 7:11am
post #8 of 8

How funny, the RR cake has that tacky crust too. OOOOOOhhhhhh how I look forward to that part of the cake! thumbs_up.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%