Drums- Two Things- Pricing And Support

Decorating By Lenette Updated 1 May 2009 , 12:06pm by Lenette

Lenette Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Lenette Posted 30 Apr 2009 , 3:11pm
post #1 of 6

Inquiry today on a 3D bass drum that is upright. I would love to do it but not sure how I would support it. It will be life size, minimum of 2 ft wide by 18 inches deep.

My first thought was rounds with the bottom cut off but I am worried that it will fall.

My other question is pricing. I have no idea but it seems that they want it pretty true to life. My minimum for any cake is $40 if that helps at all.

Any thoughts in either issue?

5 replies
Deb_ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Deb_ Posted 1 May 2009 , 2:57am
post #2 of 6

I would just support it with cake circles every 2 layers and dowels or plastic pillars.

Just charge by the # of servings plus any extra fondant details etc.

You'll need a good solid cake board as this will be heavy.

Good luck,
Deb

xstitcher Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
xstitcher Posted 1 May 2009 , 7:24am
post #3 of 6

Ditto to everything Deb said.

A good rule to follow is add support every 4" of cake.
Definitely charge by the serving.
Solid cake base (maybe masonite board might be a way to go, or something similar).

Do you have cake pans large enough to make this cake? The largest round pan that I have seen is 20" (half pan and whole).

Good luck!

cakeandpartygirl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakeandpartygirl Posted 1 May 2009 , 7:27am
post #4 of 6

That is a huge cake and as far as pricing is concerned you are going to be well over the 200 mark icon_smile.gif

xstitcher Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
xstitcher Posted 1 May 2009 , 7:48am
post #5 of 6

If I'm reading the op's min size requirements correctly then she will need to make 9 (2" deep) 24" cakes to meet the 2 feet wide by 18" height cake.

That's a lot of cake. I don't think $200 will even scratch the surface to make this cake.

Wilton's serving chart says that a 16" round cake (2 layer) serves 100. Wilton's chart doesn't even list 24" round cake servings.

So going by just a 16" cake size you will end up with 450 servings. For a 24" cake it's going to be more than double the amount of servings, so you'll be looking at atleast 900 servings. So going just by serving costs OP would only get $0.22 per serving. That's not even enough to cover costs.

http://cakecentral.com/article14-Cake-Baking-Cutting--Serving-Guide---2-in-Deep-Pans.html

Lenette Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Lenette Posted 1 May 2009 , 12:06pm
post #6 of 6

Thank you all for taking the time to reply! I think the lady who inquired is going to lose interest in this idea. I am still concerned about supporting something that is essentially round in shape. I won't worry about it any longer until she confirms this is what she wants.

Thanks again, I may be back!!! icon_biggrin.gificon_biggrin.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%