How Do I Get A Nice Big "muffin Top" On My Cupcake

Decorating By sugarMomma Updated 1 May 2009 , 2:28pm by sugarMomma

sugarMomma Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sugarMomma Posted 30 Apr 2009 , 2:12pm
post #1 of 7

Mine always have a flat top...

Is there a certain recipe that's better than most for a nice crown? I often use a modified mix, and that's not working for me.

6 replies
brincess_b Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
brincess_b Posted 30 Apr 2009 , 2:47pm
post #2 of 7

it might be that you jus tneed to put more batter in your cups.
xx

Loucinda Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Loucinda Posted 30 Apr 2009 , 2:56pm
post #3 of 7

Preheat your oven to 400 degreees, as soon as you put the cupcake pan in the oven, turn it down to what your recipe calls for.

The immediate "HOT" oven will make the tops muffin up, then it will bake at your regular temperature.

Bluehue Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Bluehue Posted 30 Apr 2009 , 2:56pm
post #4 of 7

Yes, as brincess-b said. Just try more batter in your cupcake cases.
I usually fill mine till the cases are 3/4 full....or even just a tad over that.

Bluehue. icon_smile.gif

sugarMomma Posted 1 May 2009 , 12:01am
post #5 of 7

I have tried filling my cups 3/4 full, but they just bake a bigger flat head. I'd like a nice round crown, and was wondering if my recipe was at fault.
It's a modified mix with extra egg, box of pudding and 1/2 cup oil, 1 1/4 c. water/liquid. Is it too heavy?

Anybody know a recipe that "puffs up"?

Loucinda, I will have to try that oven temp trick, thanks!

fiddlesticks Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
fiddlesticks Posted 1 May 2009 , 12:34am
post #6 of 7

The oven trick works for sure !

sugarMomma Posted 1 May 2009 , 2:28pm
post #7 of 7

Thanks, I will test it out tomorrow.
I originally asked because a friend asked me what I would charge for 20 unfrosted cupcakes and different colored icings for a kid's craft party. (I have no idea what cupcake charges are). I told her it would be cheaper to bake them herself since I had to charge for my time (and I didn't want to charge for ugly flat unfrosted cupcakes).

Ironically (after this post) I was asked to do cupcakes for a wedding reception...Guess it is all the rage, and I better get with the program!

Funny, my cupcakes bake flat when I want them to crown and my cakes get a crown when I want them to be flat.. icon_sad.gif ..but that can be sliced off at least...thank goodness for bake-even strips. thumbs_up.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%