I Stink At Cake Cutting And Serving! Tips

Decorating By springlakecake Updated 30 Apr 2009 , 10:20pm by springlakecake

springlakecake Posted 30 Apr 2009 , 12:43pm
post #1 of 10

Hi y'all! It seem silly to be asking for tips on cutting the cake now since I have been hacking away for 3 years now LOL! Usually when I go to a party where I have made the cake, people ask me to cut it. I understand especially when it is a tiered or 3D cake. Really I wouldnt mind doing it, but I suck at it! I am not sure what I am doing wrong really. I usually have preferred a serrated knife over the other kind (see I don't even know the name!) for both buttercream and fondant. Though I saw where some people suggested not using serrated on fondant. Usually I can decently cut a wedge out of a round buttercream cake, but other than that, the cake ususally is coming apart when I transfer it to the plate at the torte, falling over, ending up as a little pile...Not so pretty. Any suggestions?

9 replies
brincess_b Posted 30 Apr 2009 , 3:09pm
post #2 of 10

if you look up indydebis website theres a page about cutting cakes... http://cateritsimple.com/_wsn/page10.html
hope it helpsicon_smile.gif
xx

goldenegg Posted 30 Apr 2009 , 3:25pm
post #3 of 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by merissa

Hi y'all! It seem silly to be asking for tips on cutting the cake now since I have been hacking away for 3 years now LOL! Usually when I go to a party where I have made the cake, people ask me to cut it. I understand especially when it is a tiered or 3D cake. Really I wouldnt mind doing it, but I suck at it! I am not sure what I am doing wrong really. I usually have preferred a serrated knife over the other kind (see I don't even know the name!) for both buttercream and fondant. Though I saw where some people suggested not using serrated on fondant. Usually I can decently cut a wedge out of a round buttercream cake, but other than that, the cake ususally is coming apart when I transfer it to the plate at the torte, falling over, ending up as a little pile...Not so pretty. Any suggestions?

LOL omg i was cracking up while reading that, it's hilarious and describes me to a tee as well icon_lol.gif thanks for posting, and thanks brincess_b for posting the link to the cutting guide icon_biggrin.gif

springlakecake Posted 30 Apr 2009 , 6:30pm
post #4 of 10

thanks so much, I had seen that link before! I think I ought to study it a bit more!

JenniferMI Posted 30 Apr 2009 , 7:35pm
post #5 of 10

I like to keep the knife clean...wiping it off after each slice. That makes a difference. IMO, NEVER cut a fondant cake with a serated knife. Sugar sticks to sugar and the teeth will get clogged and you'll have a harder time cutting it.

Jen icon_smile.gif

springlakecake Posted 30 Apr 2009 , 7:42pm
post #6 of 10

thanks, well maybe that is my problem with fondant then! perhaps I don't have very good knives either.

JenniferMI Posted 30 Apr 2009 , 7:43pm
post #7 of 10

SHARP knives... my choc. fondant cuts LIKE A DREAM.

Just no serated...

Jen icon_smile.gif

springlakecake Posted 30 Apr 2009 , 7:57pm
post #8 of 10

Jennifer, you make your own fondant don't you? Do you include your recipe on any of your dvd's?

JenniferMI Posted 30 Apr 2009 , 7:59pm
post #9 of 10

Yes, feel free to e-mail me.

Jen icon_smile.gif

springlakecake Posted 30 Apr 2009 , 10:20pm
post #10 of 10

Thanks! I see it on your website! I might have to hint around for some Mother's Day gifts.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%