Which Commercial Fondant And Why?

Decorating By Joanne1944 Updated 30 Apr 2009 , 3:52pm by mbt4955

Joanne1944 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Joanne1944 Posted 30 Apr 2009 , 12:35pm
post #1 of 9

When I was at the store, there were so many choices for fondant. Fondarific was the most expensive. I tasted a sample and it was wonderful. Next was Pettinice and then Satin Ice.
Has anyone used the Fondarific and how does it compare? I was told it is the easiest to use and the least likely to crack.
I have used Pettinice and Satin Ice and don't see much difference, other than price.
Thanks
Joanne

8 replies
mcook1670 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mcook1670 Posted 30 Apr 2009 , 12:39pm
post #2 of 9

I used easy ice or something like that at work once and I was not happy with it, it kept cracking. I had to redo one layer 3 times, the first time it pulled all the icing off the cake! I usually make my own and never had any problems with it. I know a lot of people swear by satin ice... I never used it.

tiggy2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tiggy2 Posted 30 Apr 2009 , 12:40pm
post #3 of 9

For taste I prefer choc-o-pan, but a bit pricy. For workability stain ice or pettince.

Rylan Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Rylan Posted 30 Apr 2009 , 1:36pm
post #4 of 9

Jeniffer Dontz has a great semi-home made recipe--she ads something to the storebought fondant. I heard it works and taste great.

PinkZiab Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
PinkZiab Posted 30 Apr 2009 , 2:59pm
post #5 of 9

I use Satin Ice. It handles great, I have zero problems with cracking and/or tearing (except due to my own error lol). I love that Satin Ice comes in a wide range of colors. I buy it in every color and use those to blend my custom colors--NO MESSING AROUND WITH PASTES OR GELS FOR FONDANT, EVER!!! And Satin Ice, to me, tastes great. I have converted so many people who "hate" fondant, by using satin ice because they can't believe how tasty it is. My daughter BEGS me for pieces of fondant to snack on lol. I've taken to using the scraps and making little fondant candies and pops and she loves them (only as an occasional treat!)

LadyKinster Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LadyKinster Posted 30 Apr 2009 , 3:05pm
post #6 of 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by RylanTy

Jeniffer Dontz has a great semi-home made recipe--she ads something to the storebought fondant. I heard it works and taste great.

Do you have the recipe or know the link to it?
Thanks.

KrissieCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KrissieCakes Posted 30 Apr 2009 , 3:38pm
post #7 of 9

I usually use Satin Ice, which I do like the taste of and it is easy to work with. I just tried choco-pan, which I do not like the taste of - I LOVE THE TASTE!! icon_smile.gif I did have problems with it sticking though. It was pretty frustrating for me to use, but man did it taste good.

aligotmatt Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
aligotmatt Posted 30 Apr 2009 , 3:40pm
post #8 of 9

I have tried almost every kind of fondant. The way I see it, if it's like magic, i'll pay almost anything, ya know? Anyway, I use Satin Ice. I think you have to be aware of your humidity, heat... to get the fondant that works best for you in your climate.

mbt4955 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mbt4955 Posted 30 Apr 2009 , 3:52pm
post #9 of 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by LadyKinster

Quote:
Originally Posted by RylanTy

Do you have the recipe or know the link to it?
Thanks.

The recipe is available in Jen's DVD's --- http://www.jenniferdontz.com/. I have her second one (Fun With Fondant Frills) and I HIGHLY recommend it. thumbs_up.gif Jen has been very patient with all my questions too! I did her chocolate pearls on a wedding cake this past weekend. I think they tasted better than the cake!

Martha

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%