I Need Some Major Help In Thinking Outside The Box

Baking By Walls1971 Updated 4 May 2009 , 3:08pm by sadsmile

Walls1971 Posted 30 Apr 2009 , 12:32pm
post #1 of 9

Please put your thinking caps on! This request is a toughie!

A coworker of mine has come to me with what may be an impossible request but I'd love to be able to help her out. Her grandson is going to be celebrating his first birthday and it's a miracle given all the health problems he has suffered since birth. The problem is, he is unable to have a lot of the ingredients used in cakes - no sugar (not even natural sugar), no egg whites, no fruit, etc. Some of the things he CAN have are: egg yolks, vegetables, cheerios, puffed rice. She (and I) think that it's probably impossible but before we gave up I told her I would consult with the braintrust that is CakeCentral. icon_biggrin.gif

I'm thinking maybe a cake that is rice based? or use crushed cheerios? I mean, I totally don't know. . . I'm just thinking out loud. Any kind of frosting totally stumps me. . .maybe I should be thinking a more 'savory' kind of cake with mashed potato frosting? icon_eek.gif I wonder. . .

So what do you all think? Any suggestions - no matter how out there - are appreciated!

8 replies
-K8memphis Posted 30 Apr 2009 , 1:22pm
post #2 of 9

Rice cakes maybe?? I put this together once --

I just cut them with graduated cookie cutters.

playingwithsugar Posted 30 Apr 2009 , 1:40pm
post #3 of 9

Wow, what a dilemma!

The first thing that came to mind was a popcorn cake, but then I remembered he's only 1.

Are all natural sweeteners ruled out, or just sugar? There's corn syrup, honey, agave, and stevia, plus all the artificial sweeteners available.

Is he allergic to wheat flour?

There are egg yolk sponge cake recipes out there, which use just the yolk.

Send me a PM with all his allergies, and I will dig through the Net to see what I can find. If I find anything I can make appropriate substitutions with, I'll send you a revamped recipe.

Theresa icon_smile.gif

Walls1971 Posted 30 Apr 2009 , 2:17pm
post #4 of 9

K8, I did suggest a rice 'cake'. At first thought, it does seem to be the only option, right? I think they are just trying to get something more 'cake-like'. It's very cute - at his birthday party they are having Cheerios, green beans. . . only stuff he can eat. It's such a mircle that he is even still with us; he's a blessing to them and I'd love to come through for her.

Playingwithsugar, thank you for the offer of help! I need all I can get! The egg yolk sponge cake sounds promising.

sweet_teeth Posted 3 May 2009 , 12:05am
post #5 of 9

Can he have organic honey? It's an excellent sweetener. My boss can't have dairy, sugar, gluten, or high fiber foods.

I made her an apple cobbler out of almond flour, organic honey, walnuts, and ghee (Indian dairy free butter).

She can have cakes made out of rice flour or almond flour, sweetened w/ honey.

Hope that helps a bit.. or gives you some more idears.
Good luck!

floridagal Posted 4 May 2009 , 1:07am
post #6 of 9

I wish I could help you, but the only thing I could come up with is whipped sweet potatoes. Can he have that. I like the idea of using mashed taters - that could give the look of a cake for the little guy to dig into. What a great friend you are to help out, I know you'll come up with something perfect. Especially with all the great help you'll get here!!

Walls1971 Posted 4 May 2009 , 2:43pm
post #7 of 9

Alexandrabill, She told me no sweetners of any kind, but he's also only 1, so I wouldn't be able to use honey anyway. But what a great recipe you did for your boss! I've never heard of ghee before but that's good to know for future reference!

Thanks, Floridagal!

I think the family is going to go with an artfully arranged plate of peas and greenbeans! I think after much consideration, they just realized it was safer to stay with what is known. I'm sure the little guy will be just as excited with his peas as he would hav been with anything else! Thanks for all the help! icon_smile.gif

tiggerjo Posted 4 May 2009 , 2:58pm
post #8 of 9

My sister makes homemade marshallows all the time. Not difficult she says. How bout homemade marshmallows made with splenda and make rice krispie treats into the cake. it could be decorated in fondant. Most don't eat the fondant anyways and you could just peel his off. A beautiful, edible cake for him.

sadsmile Posted 4 May 2009 , 3:08pm
post #9 of 9

what about rice flour or any other flours you will find at a health food store. I would say google it up and try a few to see if they are edible. Some flours are bitter ... talk to the health food stores and see if they have any ideas. Sugar substitues vary but I would lean towards the natural route and after all this you may be able to find something OK on the taste buds.

Quote by @%username% on %date%