Best Cake For Stacking?

Decorating By suziwoozy Updated 1 May 2009 , 5:58pm by Rylan

suziwoozy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
suziwoozy Posted 30 Apr 2009 , 8:00am
post #1 of 7

Hi all,

Whats the best cake for stacking, need to do about 5 layers? Any proven recipes greatly appreciated
thanks in advance x

6 replies
khkakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
khkakes Posted 30 Apr 2009 , 11:45am
post #2 of 7

I use the original WASC by kakeladi. If its chocolate I substitute cocoa for 1/2 the flour.

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 30 Apr 2009 , 12:07pm
post #3 of 7

Are you talking one layer-cake that is 5 layers? Or are your talking a 5-tier cake?

If you mean a 5-layer cake, how tall is each layer? 1"? 2"? Are you torting a cake to get 5 layers or baking each layer.

The thickness of each layer makes a difference. If each layer is 2" tall, then the type of cake really doesn't matter because you're going to need to use cardboards and dowels to support this cake. The cake will be supported by the support-system, not by the texture of the cake itself.

Rylan Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Rylan Posted 30 Apr 2009 , 12:18pm
post #4 of 7

I have the same exact questions as what indydebi just asked. When I hear 5 layers, I think of one tier with 5 layers of torted cake. If you mean 5 tiers of cake, I would suggest kekeladi's original recipe. It's great. You can make it into mocha, chocolate, orange, lemon, vanilla and endless flavors.

suziwoozy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
suziwoozy Posted 30 Apr 2009 , 6:08pm
post #5 of 7

Its a five layer cake of about 2" per layer, trying to create a rock like cake for climbing....very ambitious for a newbie!!

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 30 Apr 2009 , 9:57pm
post #6 of 7

I would strongly suggest using cardboards every 4" (every 2 layers). You'd put dowels in the 2 layers to support the next 2 layers (that are sitting on a cardboard). A 10" tall cake with no supports ..... I picture a big wobbly tower of cake that will come crashing down. icon_eek.gif

I know some CC'ers have done similar cakes and hopefully they will pop into this thread to make add'l (or better) suggestions.

Please post a pic when you're done! A rock climbing cake sounds so awesome looking!

Rylan Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Rylan Posted 1 May 2009 , 5:58pm
post #7 of 7

were both totally ambitious as newbies =]

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%