Questions For Wilton Method Instructors

Decorating By JulyMama Updated 4 May 2009 , 4:15am by TexasSugar

JulyMama Posted 30 Apr 2009 , 5:53am
post #1 of 9

I just finished course 2 and am about to start course 3. I am seriously considering becoming a WMI. My instructor said I should do it.
Anyways, my questions:
Do you like it?
what do you like about it?
is it hard to talk in front of everyone?
anything I should know before I decide?
Thanks for your help!

8 replies
LadyKinster Posted 30 Apr 2009 , 6:58am
post #2 of 9

I love being a Wilton Method Instructor.

Beginner students are so much fun... they're always full of SO many questions... and that keeps you on your toes and actually helps you to remember things you tend to do automatically and sometimes forget to explain. Students who have been playing around with decorating or have been decorating for years... they have "ah ha" moments... those are always fun. Or when they're first starting techniques they think it's hard and by the last class, they have it down pat and are doing the technique with ease.

My very first class was extremely hard to talk infront of.... I won't lie. But after that I was fine. I just had to get through the first one. I even kept my cool when I forgot my mixer on the First class of Course One once. Yeah, try mixing buttercream by hand!!!! I did it though! icon_biggrin.gif

Things you should know.... it's like any other job, it has it's ups and downs, there will be students you like, some will annoy the heck outta ya, if you teach at a store like Michael's or Joann's there will be employees that you love and others you could do without. There's paperwork to keep track of students, at Michael's I know there are mandatory demo's every few months.
If you don't speak Spanish, but you get a Spanish student, have the Spanish and English books out together and do the best you can. I know it's hard, I've done it, but the student appreciates your effort and the fact that you don't dismiss them or leave them hanging. I've seen instructors do that and it's just disheartening. (And each time I've gotten a spanish speaker, my Spanish got a little better! thumbs_up.gif )

I hope this helps and good luck with being a Wilton Instructor!!!

JulyMama Posted 30 Apr 2009 , 7:43am
post #3 of 9

thanks so much for your insight! I'm really leaning towards doing it. I think it would be great experience for me. Plus it would be a way for me to decorate on a daily/weekly basis since I'm not planning on selling cakes.

Bijoudelanuit Posted 1 May 2009 , 2:35am
post #4 of 9

I loved being a WMI... I'd highly suggest it! I loved being able to share and talk about cakes and decorating... I've only one friend irl who loves it as much as I do, so it was exciting to have a group of cake junkies to befriend! (much like being here at CC). I didn't find it hard to talk in front of everyone and I'm usually shy when it comes to presenting in front of my peer group. Class sizes are small and it never felt like a large group presentation. You spend a lot of time circulating and working one on one.

I would ask about scheduling and hours, store policies (they're always changing!), what extras (displays or demos) they might want and what the compensation is for your efforts/time.

I loved having a weekly frosting playdate!

Good luck to you! I hope you look into it!

TexasSugar Posted 2 May 2009 , 2:03am
post #5 of 9

I love being a WMI. I celebrate 5 years this month!

I'm not a public speaker. That was one of my concerns about doing it. I seriously considered not doing it because of that. But I talked to the instructor I was replacing and another WMI I talked to on line and decided to go for it. I've had as many as 14 in one class, and that first night I had the 'public speaking' nerves, but I took a deep breathe and did it, though I do perfer the smaller groups. After a couple of months you feel alot more comfortable with what you are doing. And after a while it becomes second nature where you really don't have to think about it.

I've learned so much while teaching. It is always fun when I student comes in and shares something they tried with you that you haven't gotten around to trying yet. icon_smile.gif

There are numberious posts on here about being a WMI. I would do a search and read all the posts you find since they have some great information to it.

For me it is a great part time job, but since you are paid base on the number of classes and students you have, your pay can vary month to month.

Like every other job there are pros and cons. You just have to decide which has more on the list.

cathyfowler662 Posted 2 May 2009 , 2:35am
post #6 of 9

I love being a WMI! I have been teaching for about 2 years.

I started out being a Course 1 instructor only so that MY Wilton instructor could have a night off to spend with her kids. She decided that she didn't want to be a WMI anymore....so I had to decide what I really wanted to do. I also have a full time job, so I wanted to be sure that I would have enough time to spend with my own kids after my 50 hour a week accounting job.

The great thing is that you can pretty much work the hours you want as long as the classroom/area is available. I work 2-3 nights a week.

JulyMama Posted 2 May 2009 , 5:22am
post #7 of 9

Thanks for all the info! I am going to chat with my WMI and see what she says, i have a few questions for her, and i will definitely search here too. Thanks!

aide27 Posted 3 May 2009 , 2:16am
post #8 of 9

HI WANT TO BE A WMI BUT I SPEAK BETTER SPANISH THAN ENGLISH THAT IS WHY MY INSTRUACTOR ASKED MY TO FILL OUT THE APPLICATION BECAUSE WE LIVE IN A CITY WHERE WE HAVE MANY SPANIS SPEAKERS I AM IN THE 2ND WILTON COURSE BUT I AM TAKING IT JUST FOR FUN I BEEN PRACTICING FOR ABOUT 3 YEARS SO I HAVE SAME SKILLS BUT SAME EXTRA TIPS NEVER COME BAD.

TexasSugar Posted 4 May 2009 , 4:15am
post #9 of 9

JulyMama, if you have any questions, feel free to PM me. icon_smile.gif I'll try to answer them for ya.

Aide27, I'd suggest filling out the app online and seeing what happens. If the store is seeking a second or spanish speaking instructor, you may get a call. icon_smile.gif

One thing to keep in mind is that Wilton places instructors with stores. You can't just walk into Hobby Lobby or Michaels and ask to fill out a employee app to be their WMI. The store contacts Wilton when they are looking for a WMI or 2nd WMI and Wilton sends them someone.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%