A Milestone For Me

Business By Ruth0209 Updated 2 May 2009 , 10:45pm by JenniferMI

Ruth0209 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Ruth0209 Posted 30 Apr 2009 , 4:58am
post #1 of 10

Wow, I just turned away a customer today for the first time ever since becoming full-time because I'm fully booked on the day she wants a wedding cake.

I already have two big weddings AND my daughter's graduation from college on May 30th, with a party at my house that evening. To even think of doing another cake was insane. I'm just too slow for more than that! I'm so glad I didn't stupidly overextend myself and make myself miserable on such an important weekend for my daughter.

Of course my big question is who in the heck waits until 4/29 to book a caterer and cake decorator for a 5/30 wedding, even for just 75 people? She's nuts.

9 replies
indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 30 Apr 2009 , 12:16pm
post #2 of 10

you'd be amazed. People think everything is 24/7 and you just gotta go "POOF!" and you have food and cake.

snarkybaker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
snarkybaker Posted 30 Apr 2009 , 11:22pm
post #3 of 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth0209

Wow, I just turned away a customer today for the first time ever since becoming full-time because I'm fully booked on the day she wants a wedding cake.

I already have two big weddings AND my daughter's graduation from college on May 30th, with a party at my house that evening. To even think of doing another cake was insane. I'm just too slow for more than that! I'm so glad I didn't stupidly overextend myself and make myself miserable on such an important weekend for my daughter.

Of course my big question is who in the heck waits until 4/29 to book a caterer and cake decorator for a 5/30 wedding, even for just 75 people? She's nuts.

It's not really that nuts. I just took a wedding order for 160 for June 6. I've done a wedding cake for $200 on 9 days notice. I've done cake for 150 with 36 hours notice.

Monkess Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Monkess Posted 2 May 2009 , 2:59pm
post #4 of 10

Congratualtions on being too-busy-too-book! Indeed it is a milestone. Best for the future!

littlecake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
littlecake Posted 2 May 2009 , 6:20pm
post #5 of 10

a lady called me sobbing one saturday...boo hoo...best friend said she was a cake decorator...my wedding looks awful!

i had a cancellation the prior week, so i had one baked wrapped and frozen in the back...i fixed her up that day

a couple of weeks ago someone emailed me monday...i did her one of my "specials" that sat....she just told me the colors she wanted.

i think how fast you can do stuff has a lot to do with if you are set up to do volume.

classiccake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
classiccake Posted 2 May 2009 , 8:49pm
post #6 of 10

Congratulations on being booked and congratulations on remembering to take time for your family!

Redlotusninjagrl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Redlotusninjagrl Posted 2 May 2009 , 9:09pm
post #7 of 10

How far in advance are cakes supposed to be booked? When I was planning my wedding, ordering the cake was one of the last things I did. I still ordered and paid for it like two months before the wedding. But then, I wasn't at all picky about it. My hubby was VERY picky about the groom's cake.

That is awesome that you have so much business that you had to turn down an order!

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 2 May 2009 , 9:48pm
post #8 of 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redlotusninjagrl

How far in advance are cakes supposed to be booked?

when brides ask me "how soon should I book?", I tell them,"It depends on how organized and decisive OTHER brides are."

On the infamous 6-7-08 date, I turned down at least 25 brides (I track this info so it's in that ball park). However, I had no weddings on 6-14-08.

So .... if they wanted to get married on 6-7-08, they should have booked it over a year in advance. If they wanted to get married 6-14-08, they could have called me a week in advance and would have been ok.

It depends on how popular your date is, how many other brides want the same date and the same vendor(s), how organized the OTHER brides are, and how quickly the OTHER brides make their decisions.

snarkybaker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
snarkybaker Posted 2 May 2009 , 10:25pm
post #9 of 10

I think people perceptions have been " Food Channeled". Surely if they can make that cake in 8 hours, my little four tier with a ribbon and some fresh flowers should take no time at all....

May and October are booked at least a year in advance around here, but if it's a cake I want to do, I'll always find the time for it.

JenniferMI Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JenniferMI Posted 2 May 2009 , 10:45pm
post #10 of 10

Congratulations Ruth, on being busy! Isn't that a great feeling!?

Jen icon_smile.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%