Baking A Dome Cake??

Decorating By momshome Updated 5 May 2009 , 1:49am by momshome

momshome Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
momshome Posted 30 Apr 2009 , 3:27am
post #1 of 6

I'd like to bake a dome cake but don't have a dome pan...or know where to find one. Do I need a dome pan or can I just use a pyrex bowl?? I want to bake one that I'll split & fill with chocolate mousse & cover with a thick ganache frosting. Only, I have nothing to bake it in. I've searched MANY websites & haven't found one yet. Any ideas?? Thank You.

5 replies
antonia74 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
antonia74 Posted 30 Apr 2009 , 4:20am
post #2 of 6

Are you just meaning a semi-circular cake? Can't you just bake it in a regular stainless steel bowl? I've even heard of people baking in their KitchenAid bowl in a pinch. icon_cool.gif

Texas_Rose Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Texas_Rose Posted 30 Apr 2009 , 4:25am
post #3 of 6

You can bake in an oven-safe glass bowl too, like the Pyrex or Anchor Hocking ones.

momshome Posted 2 May 2009 , 5:16am
post #4 of 6

Thank You for the ideas. I'll try them for sure. The cake I'll be making is the shape of a bombe cake or a zuccotto cake. If I figured this right, a single cake recipe will fit a 2 qt. bowl, so I'll need to double it for a 4 qt. bowl...???Right??? Any ideas on temp. & length of baking time? Again, thanks!!

Texas_Rose Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Texas_Rose Posted 2 May 2009 , 8:47am
post #5 of 6

I don't know about baking that much batter at one time. I've done the 2 quart bowl with one recipe of cake batter in it and had trouble getting the middle to cook all the way. I've got a Debbie Brown book where most of the cakes are baked in bowls (It's 50 Easy Party Cakes). I can look and see what the most batter she uses in one bowl is and what the baking directions are for it...but my book is in a box under all my other moving boxes, so I'll have to wait until my husband's home from work and make him dig it out icon_biggrin.gif

momshome Posted 5 May 2009 , 1:49am
post #6 of 6

Thanks for the reply and the info. After reading it I realize you are right. A 2 qt. would be best. Once cut & filled & frosted it would be the size I'm imagining. I'm trying to duplicate the cake served at Maggianno's restaurant, their chocolate zuccotto cake. I'm open to all suggestions. Thanks!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%