How To Stack Fake Cakes With A Real One

Sugar Work By fakecakes Updated 30 Apr 2009 , 1:26pm by fakecakes

fakecakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
fakecakes Posted 30 Apr 2009 , 1:32am
post #1 of 3

I am making a fake wedding cake for my friend. She is having a 14",12",10", 8"(real one) and a 6". I am covering stryofoam dummies with fondant. My question is I am worried about the top two cakes. Does anyone have any suggestions on how to secure the real cake between the fake ones? please email me at [email protected]

2 replies
antonia74 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
antonia74 Posted 30 Apr 2009 , 1:41am
post #2 of 3

The 6" is so super-light, you have nothing at all to worry about it being too heavy/crushing the real cake below it. I wouldn't even bother with all the dowelling into the 8" cake before you top it with the 6" fake cake....well, maybe one dowel through the middle and into the 10" artificial tier below, but that's it. That will keep it steady and still allow for the kitchen to remove the top tier to portion the 8" one. As for securing the 6" to the 8", a little stiff royal icing will "glue" it in place.

I do lots of multi-tiered wedding cakes with only one or two real tiers, never had a problem with it. The hardest is when the base is real cake and the rest above it are artificial....and still it's no real problem. You just dowel it for supporting the rest (even though they are still pretty light, compared to real cake tiers that is!) and away you go.

fakecakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
fakecakes Posted 30 Apr 2009 , 1:26pm
post #3 of 3

Thank you Antonia for your quick reply. I have never put a dowel into a fake cake. I have used only real thick royal icing to attach.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%