Does Anyone Have A Rum Cake Recipe?

Baking By sandykay Updated 2 May 2009 , 12:06am by linedancer

sandykay Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sandykay Posted 30 Apr 2009 , 12:12am
post #1 of 7

I checked the recipes so I'm sorry if I missed it I did find one, but not sure it's really what I need. I'm looking for a recipe for a rum cake like a baker in Miami would make. I'm noticing that I get asked more often do you know how to make.....various.... Cuban or Latin style cakes. Can any one help me out? Thank icon_biggrin.gif

6 replies
linedancer Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
linedancer Posted 30 Apr 2009 , 12:29pm
post #2 of 7

Here is a rum cake I have used for many years. It is from Barcardi, but I now use Captain Morgan Spiced Rum and it is yummy.

* 1 18-1/2 ounce yellow cake mix
* 1 1-3/4 ounce (4-serving size) instant vanilla pudding mix
* 4 eggs
* 1/2 cup water
* 1/2 cup vegetable oil
* 1/2 cup Bacardi dark rum
* ---Glaze---
* 1/2 cup butter
* 1/4 cup water
* 1 cup sugar
* 1/2 cup Bacardi dark rum

Preparation:
Cake: Preheat oven to 325 degrees F. Grease and flour 12-cup Bundt pan. Sprinkle nuts on bottom of pan. Combine all cake ingredients. Beat for 2 minutes on high with electric mixer. Pour into prepared pan. Bake for 1 hour. Cool in pan. Invert on serving plate. Prick top with fork. Drizzle glaze over top of cake. Use brush or spoon to put extra dripping back on cake.

Glaze: Melt butter in saucepan. Stir in water and sugar. Boil 5 minutes, stirring constantly. Remove from heat and stir in rum. Note: The rum will cause steam. Be careful not to burn yourself.

I have made this cake many, many times. The longer this cakes sits, the better the taste. This cake freezes beautifully. I put a dollop of cool whip on the slice when serving. HTH

sandykay Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sandykay Posted 1 May 2009 , 11:45pm
post #3 of 7

linedancer,
Thank you for the recipe, have you ever iced the cake for use as a wedding cake? The person who wanted it wants it used in a tiered cake, and she said there was no filling used in between the the layers. She said it's really moist, the way she put it sounded like a syrup was use only on the bottom layer.

panchanewjersey Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
panchanewjersey Posted 1 May 2009 , 11:52pm
post #4 of 7

Sounds so good, I also have a recipe very very similar to this one. Some people however ask me to not use alcohol but want that rum flavor, so I use rum extract from Mc Cormick, you can also find recipe on there. I prefer to use good ol' Captain Morgan....piece of cake shot of rum. Yum! lol

bcake1960 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bcake1960 Posted 2 May 2009 , 12:04am
post #5 of 7

Sandykay I use the same recipe as linedancer and use Captian Morgans spiced Rum as well.. UNBELIEVABLE!! YUMMY!! and yes have made one and frosted it as a birthday cake EVERYONE LOVED IT! I also make them in the bundt pan for Chrismas My husbands work was begging me to make one for Easter... ehhehe... it is a great cake... and the longer it sits the better it gets.. I would make it a few days in advance.. give it a try...

jlynnw Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jlynnw Posted 2 May 2009 , 12:05am
post #6 of 7

Made the bacardi cake for a wedding. Made 3 in layers and poke it a lot with skwer and then lots of syrup on it. I coverd the cake in fondant made with rum flavor. No bc or any other icing. They loved it. I have made the recipe with flavored rums as well. The coconut rum with pineapple juice for a pina coloda style.

linedancer Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
linedancer Posted 2 May 2009 , 12:06am
post #7 of 7

sandykay - This is a very moist cake, I have never done it as a layer cake, if you give it a try, let us know how it turns out

panchanewjersey - I'm right there with you, in fact, maybe this will be the next cake I bake icon_smile.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%