Glucose = Corn Syrup?

Decorating By mrsunknown Updated 2 May 2009 , 2:07am by aliciag829

mrsunknown Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mrsunknown Posted 29 Apr 2009 , 11:05pm
post #1 of 9

I get so confused with converions and products being called different things all over the world.

Could anyone let me know is glucose the same thing as corn syrup..... it does say that it is derived from corn on the front of the jar hehee icon_lol.gif

8 replies
clovely Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
clovely Posted 29 Apr 2009 , 11:08pm
post #2 of 9

I think it's close enough. I've used it as a substitute and it worked just fine.

alanaj Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
alanaj Posted 29 Apr 2009 , 11:36pm
post #3 of 9

That's so funny, I was wondering the same thing today and I just substituted it without knowing for sure. It worked just fine!

mrsunknown Posted 29 Apr 2009 , 11:48pm
post #4 of 9

icon_biggrin.gif thanks, i have tried it in the past when making fondant and it seems everytime i use the glucose to make the fondant it doesn't turn out!!!

But i have a different recipe for fondant that uses light corn syrup instead, and it says that if light corn syrup is not available you can substitute with a sugar syrup made up with 1 1/4 c sugar and 1/3 cup water boiled together until syrupy. When i make this with the sugar syrup it comes out perfect.

icon_confused.gif

Anyone know what the difference between corn syrup and light corn syrup?

aliciag829 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
aliciag829 Posted 29 Apr 2009 , 11:56pm
post #5 of 9

Glucose and light corn syrup are close, but not the same thing. Corn syrup is made of glucose and dextrin. Pure glucose is hard to find in the US, so that's why most recipes that call for glucose are mostly of European origin, since it's easier to find there.

I have substituted light corn syrup for glucose before and the recipes have turned out fine. Some people also prefer to use the 1-1/4 cups sugar and 1/3 cup water, boiled together until it makes a syrup, but I like using Karo because it's easier than making it. JMO

Dark corn syrup is just light corn syrup with some molasses added.

Glucose is liquid sugar derived from cornstarch and when you make the syrup yourself with the above measurements, you are using regular sugar (sucrose) which is derived from sugar cane. The difference is basically where the sugar is derived from for your syrup. As far as if there are any differences in taste or recipe outcome, I am not sure.

Luvsthedogs Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Luvsthedogs Posted 29 Apr 2009 , 11:56pm
post #6 of 9

Timely question! I made my first batch of fondant today with glucose for a Wilton III class. It's ridiculously expensive.... the ingredients on the Wilton package note that it's corn syrup, no other ingredients listed. I'll be trying corn syrup when this is gone.

CookieD-oh Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CookieD-oh Posted 30 Apr 2009 , 12:02am
post #7 of 9

Glucose is basically a condensed corn syrup. It's much thicker than regular corn syrup, but I understand that you can substitute corn syrup for glucose in recipes, you just have to cut back your water a little bit.

mrsunknown Posted 30 Apr 2009 , 12:19am
post #8 of 9

Yeah CookieD-oh, not that i have not seen corn syrup to know its consistency but glucose it extremely thick and super duper sticky (it wouldn't drip from a spoon at room temp) it needs to be warmed,

CindyD333, hehehe funny, here in australia glucose is AU$3.80 for a 500gm jar converts to about $2.75 US

aliciag829, thank you or your information, has made some things clearer thank you, so i could just use the water sugar method if i prefer that? What is this Karo you talk of? heheh

aliciag829 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
aliciag829 Posted 2 May 2009 , 2:07am
post #9 of 9

Sorry I didn't realize you were in AU! Karo is a brand of corn syrup here in US. The water method is a substitute for corn syrup, which is a substitute for glucose. lol So it might work. Personally, I have never used the water method. I have only heard of it.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%