How Do You Make A Fondant Or Gumpast Chalice?

Decorating By sugardaze Updated 29 Apr 2009 , 8:32pm by beachcakes

sugardaze Posted 29 Apr 2009 , 7:40pm
post #1 of 3

Hi,

Does anyone know or have instructions on how to get this effect? It looks like half a chalice placed flat on top of the cake?

[/img]

http://www.cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=gallery&file=displayimage&pid=43382[/url]
LL

2 replies
SweetMelissa2007 Posted 29 Apr 2009 , 8:08pm
post #2 of 3

It doesn't show if the chalice is hollow or not. If not, just mold out of gumpaste or fondant. If it is, you can mold around something that has that same shape. Maybe a goblet you have at home or I have plastic christmas tree decorations that are hollow balls that you can take apart and fill. If you place half of one of those balls on parchment paper, then lay a THICK layer of gumpaste over it. Then trim in the shape of the chalice. All the accents can be added after it has hardened and then paint with silver luster dust or silver airbrush color. Good luck. HTH!! icon_smile.gif

beachcakes Posted 29 Apr 2009 , 8:32pm
post #3 of 3

I agree w/ sweetmelissa. I'd make it hollow. Liberally dust your form (wineglass, plastic ball, etc.) with confectioner's sugar so it doesn't stick. After 24 hrs, carefully remove and dry the inside. After a few days, it will be completely hard and you can paint it with lustre dust. I made a standing chalice once by forming the gp over the mini wondermold pan and covering a pillar for the stem.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%