Black Satin Ice Emergency, Please Help Me

Decorating By Alicia0620 Updated 29 Apr 2009 , 7:16pm by superstar

Alicia0620 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Alicia0620 Posted 29 Apr 2009 , 5:16pm
post #1 of 6

I'm using Black Satin Ice fondant for the first time and I'm having major problems with it sticking!! Please help, trying to cover a cake right now! I'm rolling it out on my roll and cut Wilton mat that I always use, sprinkled with powdered sugar and every time I roll it out, it sticks horribly in the center!! I've tried twice now and the second time I sprinkled even more powdered sugar in the center and still it stuck! Is it me or what? icon_confused.gif I've never had this problem so...

Thanks cake friends!!

5 replies
Alicia0620 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Alicia0620 Posted 29 Apr 2009 , 5:56pm
post #2 of 6

Nevermind. I figured it out. Whewwww!!! icon_biggrin.gif I just put some shortening down first then some powdered sugar. Well, what can I say? A ditzy decorator's moment lol.

Misdawn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Misdawn Posted 29 Apr 2009 , 6:04pm
post #3 of 6

Not ditzy! Y'know I used to havetrouble with fondant sticking to my mat all the time. But now I put down some nonskid stuff (like what goes under rugs or in cabinets) and then I lay my mat over that. Then I put a huge piece of plexiglass over that and spread some shortening on it. Voila! The fondant doesn't stick anymore. (You can get the plexiglass cheap at home depot and they will cut it any size for you.)

andysprite Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
andysprite Posted 29 Apr 2009 , 6:11pm
post #4 of 6

I've found that a combination of cornstarch and powdered sugar helps reduce sticking. I think sometimes powdered sugar just makes it worse and the cornstarch helps absorb some of the extra moisture.

Wendl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Wendl Posted 29 Apr 2009 , 6:17pm
post #5 of 6

When I'm using Satin Ice, I only use shortening to roll it out. And like misdawn said, I put something to allay the mat skidding... In my case, I use dampened but well-rung out paper towelling under the surface (a 24x36 cutting mat) to keep an even substrate (no inconvenient drop-offs while rolling out). It works great, and when I'm done, I grab them out from under and use it to start the clean-up process! icon_smile.gif
BTW, I LOVE Satin Ice. I still have most of the FondX from the Austin TTTC comp this year, but need to play with it more so I can give it a fair test.

superstar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
superstar Posted 29 Apr 2009 , 7:16pm
post #6 of 6

I only use cornstarch for rolling out.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%