Military Wives (Past & Present)

Lounge By Tita9499 Updated 13 Jul 2009 , 8:04pm by Tita9499

Tita9499 Posted 29 Apr 2009 , 4:40pm
post #1 of 27

I've noticed more and more military spouses on CC and I was just curious:

*Where are you stationed? Do you like being stationed there?
*What branch of the service are you (your spouse) in?
*Is your soldier/airman/marine/sailor deployed?
*Do you own a cake decorating business or is it a way to pass the time?
*Any business owners have advice for those waiting on retirement/ETS to begin theirs?

I'm an Army wife stationed at Ft Bliss in El Paso, TX. I am an AirForce brat as well (both parents retired). I like El Paso okay, summer's are HOT! But the people are warm and welcoming.

Praise God, my DH is home with us right now.

I'm waiting on him to retire (4 more years!) to start my own business so right now I'm building up my portfolio and getting advice and tips from business owners on what to do/not to do.

Please keep praying for our military members downrange and the families who are waiting for them back at home.

26 replies
navywifetrat Posted 30 Apr 2009 , 1:19am
post #2 of 27

I am a Navy wife. My husband is stationed at Portsmouth Naval Hospital in Portsmouth, VA. We do like it here. We have lived in Jacksonville, FL and Jacksonville, NC. We have 7 more years before he retires. Unfortunately, he will be leaving the end of May for an unaccompanied tour for a year after just getting back from Afghanistan this past June.

I started decorating cakes just for my kids. I do not have a business but do make them for my friends if they ask me. Maybe one day, I will start a business when we find a place to settle down.

It is nice to meet you.

Tita9499 Posted 30 Apr 2009 , 1:34am
post #3 of 27

My DH's cousin is in the Navy and was stationed in Jacksonville. He just recently move to Japan though. Being a Navy spouse has got to be hard. They're on the ship for 6 months of the year I heard, is that true?

ncdessertdiva Posted 30 Apr 2009 , 3:51pm
post #4 of 27

I'm not a military spouse but a military mom - all four sons in service. One in the Army (Special Forces) and three in the Air Force. Two are currently in basic training at Lackland AFB, San Antonio, TX. I'm very proud and supportive of all of military spouses, your job is much tougher than the soldier's. I know as a parent, we worry about them constantly and our prayers are sent above to protect all of troops.

There are bunch of military types here on CC because I've gotten a lot of support when my eldest son was deployed. God bless our troops and their families!!

Tita9499 Posted 30 Apr 2009 , 4:17pm
post #5 of 27

WOW Leslie! You definitely deserve a medal!

I think it's an awesome testimony to the type of parent you are that all of your sons wish to serve their country and fight for our freedom. You truly raised good, honorable men and you should be commended.

I know my DH's grandmother and mother worry constantly about him, but I always tell them that he's safe and that no matter what, he is who he is because they were who they were. They've given me a wonderful man of God, a great hubby, awesome father and most of all a wonderful patriot.

God bless you Leslie!

Anntee Posted 30 Apr 2009 , 10:04pm
post #6 of 27

Greetings! Army wife (ret) here. We spent 20 something years - two of them unaccompanied deployments - and had about 18 PCS's!!! It's a great life, but it does take a special type. Caking is just a hobby here.

God bless all those currently serving and maintaining the freedom so many seem to take for granted!!!! usaribbon.gif

ncdessertdiva Posted 1 May 2009 , 12:06am
post #7 of 27

I know it takes a certain type of person to be a military spouse (man or woman). Its hard to see the person you love go away for extended periods of time. I keep all of you in my prayers. I'm thankful all of my boys are not deployed at the moment. My son in Germany will be deployed sometime during the summer but he will not be stationed in a war zone. My eldest deploys for approximately four months at a time and since he is with special forces, we really don't know where he will end up. The youngest two will be stateside with their training for most of the year. Thank goodness!!

We are extremely proud of all the boys. They made the decision to serve on their own. We just support them. My eldest told all of them to join the Air Force and they all did it!! He is a former Marine now in the Army. They all make me very proud! Now I have to find a shirt that says "Military Mom".

craftyone65 Posted 1 May 2009 , 12:52am
post #8 of 27

Military mom here!! My boy is in Fort Eustis VA right now but is being stationed in Germany when he graduates from AIT in June. He and is new wife are excited but we are very close so I will miss him more then I can say. I started decorating a few years ago when the kids left the house to keep from being I'm hooked!!

mkolmar Posted 1 May 2009 , 1:32am
post #9 of 27

My DH was in the Marines when we got married. He was always gone on deployment or on a float with the Navy.
Then I joined the Marines and got to see what it was like on the other end.
Hard life, but I think it's almost harder being a military wife.

Tita9499 Posted 1 May 2009 , 3:29am
post #10 of 27

Wow! Mkolmar, I have even more respect for you now! Being a Marine is like having blood of steel, especially a female Marine, you go girl.

Leslie and Craftyone: I spent 6 years in Germany (Kaiserslautern) and it was the best 6 years of my life. Visit your boys every chance you get. It's like the jump off point for many great European cities. Our families used to use us for free room and board so they could travel Europe.

TheCakeShak Posted 1 May 2009 , 4:21am
post #11 of 27

USMC Wif here too. Hubby was in for 25 yrs. "Yes" it is so true, being a marine wif or just a military wife is hard.........but you keep boots to the ground and pound...and remember all the love that is shared with each other.. usaribbon.gif

ncdessertdiva Posted 1 May 2009 , 4:22am
post #12 of 27

We will be doing lots of traveling with one in Germany (we hope to see him while he is stationed there). One will be Florida for awhile and the other is threatening to go to Alaska or the UK. I've told them all to have an adventure and see as much of the world as they can and experience as much as they can. My eldest has seen quite a bit of the world while he was in the Marines. He was on a 9 month float and went to Africa, Spain, Dubai and Sarajevo. As well as two tours in Iraq.

Wow, mkolmar, I salute you!! Being a Marine is takes a special kind of individual, that both you and your DH are Marines. The Army guys kept telling my eldest to calm down, he wasn't a Marine any more. But I believe the adage, once a Marine always a Marine.

Keep up the good work. We are all proud of you!!!!

juleskaye518 Posted 1 May 2009 , 1:19pm
post #13 of 27

Navy wife, Navy brat (dad was in for 30 years), and a Navy vet too. Right now we are in Newport, RI but just for 6 months, then off to sea duty in Pearl Habor, HI. We have been married 8 years and the move to Hawaii will be the 7th move. BUT we have a 4 year old who was born when we were in HI the first time and he is looking forward to going back to where he was born. (Of course I'm looking forward to going back too!!)
DH isn't deployed right now, he is going to school, but I try to take good stuff from the deployments. Less house cleaning, good chance to save money, and hopfully this next time I can meet him somewhere exotic!! I break the deployment into 3 groups. First two months stink, and I'm allowed to cry whenever I want to. Next two months I try to work my butt off at work, I'm in finance, and maybe visit family. Last two months I try to get the house really ready, make sure my birth control is up to date (!!) and start mentally getting ready to have another person back in the house.

ok, enough about us!!

Tita9499 Posted 1 May 2009 , 2:33pm
post #14 of 27

Wow juleskaye, I wish I could break it down like that.

So sailors are typically gone for 6 months? Most soldiers (I'm told with the exception of doctors and nurses) are deployed for a minimum of 13-15 months.

I'm praying my DH flies under the radar, but I know that's unavoidable. He's in the medical field and has been in 16 years (I feel so old saying that, but he's only 33!), most assignments he has to volunteer for because there's no need for soldiers his rank and MOS over there (how 'bout that?). I just enjoy the days I have him here because you never know when a tasker will come down with his name on it.

mkolmar Posted 1 May 2009 , 3:01pm
post #15 of 27

Thanks. Once a Marine, always a Marine. You do have to have a certain mind set or just be crazy.. icon_lol.gif kidding
It was hard being a Marine wife and hard being a Marine. One day I'm sure one of my kids will want to join and then I'll know what pain I put my parent through. They were furious when I joined and turned their backs on me for a while but I left anyways. They told me the military was for men. My family has been here since the beginning. They have been serving in the US military since the revolutionary war and I was the first female to join. That really didn't sit well with my parents.

Anyways, I have so much respect for all of you wives and mom's who have a loved one in. Until people go through it they have no idea how hard it is saying goodbye to a loved one hoping that they come back home.

Tita9499 Posted 1 May 2009 , 3:47pm
post #16 of 27

Well said, mkolmar. People truly don't know what it takes to be a spouse/parent/child/ or member of the military.

My mother was one of the first female in her family (and one of the few Hispanic females period) to join the military. She proudly served 27 years, 11 months, 3 weeks and 4 days (she's made me memorize that). Can't tell you how good it made me feel when kids made fun of me by saying, "Your mom wears combat boots" to say, "Yup, she sure does!"

juleskaye518 Posted 1 May 2009 , 4:35pm
post #17 of 27

mkolmar...I had the opposite reaction. My parents were really proud and that made being in easier for me. I'm glad you went in anyway.

Tita, the 6 month deployment is very normal for us, some are shorter but rarely are they longer. B/c of the war though, a few depolyments have been longer. Once the ship comes back they go into a cycle of sorts, all to do another 6 month deployment. So yes, they are gone for that time, but they are also gone more than that getting the ship ready to do it all over again.

ncdessertdiva Posted 2 May 2009 , 2:33am
post #18 of 27

It takes a special kind of person (male or female) to join the military. All parents should rejoice that their child has that special quality. I know that my kids will be better people for their participation in service. And they were special to me before they went into service!!! I'm proud of you mkolmar!!

Tita9499 Posted 2 May 2009 , 2:51am
post #19 of 27

I joined the Army in 2000 as an Intelligence Analyst. I was able to make it all the way to my Advanced Individual Training before I was ordered to get x-rays on the kneecaps (both of them) that dislocated everytime I ran or did a ruck march...I guess I should've told them I didn't have any cartilage under them...oops. So yeah, funny thing about the Army, they actually want soliders who could run! Go figure.

Good thing though because less than a year later 9/11 happened and I probably would've been in some cave during that whole Tora Bora fiasco. My parents were über-proud of me and more importanly so was my DH. I enjoyed basic training sooo much though I do actually miss the Army sometimes.

darlaslade Posted 13 Jul 2009 , 4:36am
post #20 of 27

Hello! Navy wife of 12 years here. I guess I am a little late posting on this forum, but better late than never. I was wondering if any of you are in Hawaii right now, or will be in the future. We are transferring there in early December '09. I have talked with one CC'r who is there...anyone else?

dhccster Posted 13 Jul 2009 , 7:15am
post #21 of 27

What a great thread. I had noticed a lot of military on this site as well. My husband is in the Air Force. We are stationed at a Dutch base in the Netherlands.... it is very small. We do not have a BX, a commissary, or a DoDDS school. I have to drive an hour and a half to go to the commissary. My daughter goes to an International school about 45 minutes away. I started doing cakes here because my husband does work a lot of hours. So, decorating cakes does give me something to do! I do love it here. It is an awesome opportunity.

This is my husband's 7th base (Kadena, Tyndall-- where we met, Lakenheath, Holloman, Kunsan, Sembach, and now Volkel.) He has only spent 4 years in the states... the rest have been overseas. We love to travel and have taken advantage of every opportunity.

God Bless all the other military spouses and Mom's!

Tita9499 Posted 13 Jul 2009 , 4:50pm
post #22 of 27

Would that be Chievres? I probably spelled it wrong ayway or SHAPE?

dhccster Posted 13 Jul 2009 , 5:38pm
post #23 of 27
Originally Posted by Tita9499

Would that be Chievres? I probably spelled it wrong ayway or SHAPE?

No, those are in Belgium. We are at Volkel.

Tita9499 Posted 13 Jul 2009 , 5:58pm
post #24 of 27

Ah! Never heard of it. It must be really small. I loved Germany (I should since we spent 6 years there, LOL!)

dhccster Posted 13 Jul 2009 , 6:23pm
post #25 of 27
Originally Posted by Tita9499

Ah! Never heard of it. It must be really small. I loved Germany (I should since we spent 6 years there, LOL!)

It is very small. It is a Dutch base with a small American squadron. We were in Germany for 3 years before here. I loved it, too. I am going to Landstuhl on Friday for a doctor's appointment. It is so different here in the Netherlands.... so much more expensive; however, the people are a lot nicer! Where are you at now?

dhccster Posted 13 Jul 2009 , 6:25pm
post #26 of 27

I see you are at Ft. Bliss. We were stationed at Holloman in Alamogordo. We used to go to El Paso to go shopping. In my 13 years of marriage, my husband has managed to keep me away from a town with a mall. Thank goodness for online shopping!!! icon_biggrin.gif

Tita9499 Posted 13 Jul 2009 , 8:04pm
post #27 of 27

I completely feel your pain. My DH was stationed at LRMC and we lived on Ramstein for 3 years, then Vogelweh for 3. I really did love the European way of life and brought back two beautiful babies who were born at LRMC. It's so hard explaining to people that they're not Germans. LOL!

My good friends were stationed at Holloman about 16 years ago. Many things have changed as she used to tell me I HAD to go shopping in Juarez. Now servicemember's are prohibited from going over to Juarez and family members are HIGHLY discouraged too.

Quote by @%username% on %date%