Very New To Fondant

Decorating By Katiekatiekatie Updated 29 Apr 2009 , 8:52pm by Rylan

Katiekatiekatie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Katiekatiekatie Posted 29 Apr 2009 , 3:46pm
post #1 of 7

I know this may be very basic for many of you but I am very new to making fondant covered cakes. This is a hobby for me. I have only made 3 cakes and each time I have trouble transferring the fondant to cover the cakes. It tends to tear and stick before I can cover the cake. I end up covering the tears with decorations. When I watch the cake shows on TV it seems that the fondant they use is much more sturdy. What is the trick? I use marshmallow fondant.
THANKS!
Katie

6 replies
Iva1976 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Iva1976 Posted 29 Apr 2009 , 3:55pm
post #2 of 7

I have used MMF in the past and I know it can get very sticky. Next time use a little cornstarch to roll it out. It's what I do and it really works for me.

newmansmom2004 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
newmansmom2004 Posted 29 Apr 2009 , 3:57pm
post #3 of 7

Souds like your fondant doesn't have enough powdered sugar in it and it's tearing. Try kneading in a bit more powdered sugar next time and see if it's better.

cricket0616 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cricket0616 Posted 29 Apr 2009 , 3:57pm
post #4 of 7

Make sure that you keep your surface powdered with cornstarch and that it does not stick. Once I have it at the thickness desired, I roll the fondant on to a rolling pin and then unroll it on to the cake. This helps stop the fondant from tearing.

Katiekatiekatie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Katiekatiekatie Posted 29 Apr 2009 , 4:01pm
post #5 of 7

Thanks soo much I realize how simple that question is for most of you. I have really enjoyed making these cakes and I want to keep trying.
THANKS!!!

Iva1976 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Iva1976 Posted 29 Apr 2009 , 4:05pm
post #6 of 7

Don't worry, we have all been there....Good luck icon_wink.gif

Rylan Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Rylan Posted 29 Apr 2009 , 8:52pm
post #7 of 7

I've been there. All I did is I tried rolling it a little thicker than I usually do. As for the sticking, go with powdered sugar and cornstarch mixture to dust your surface.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%