Faux Cake Pricing

Decorating By KristyCakes Updated 29 Apr 2009 , 5:05pm by jenmat

KristyCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KristyCakes Posted 29 Apr 2009 , 2:22pm
post #1 of 7

Any thoughts on how to price a Faux cake? I know it's probably much less than a real cake, but they can still be a lot of work... And how soon in advance do you make the cake? (I'll be using Satin Ice + Styrofoam dummies). Thank you!

6 replies
Minstrelmiss Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Minstrelmiss Posted 29 Apr 2009 , 2:31pm
post #2 of 7

I would charge the same for a faux as a real live tasty cake! The work truly is the same in the end, so the pay should be too. Good luck icon_smile.gif

jammjenks Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jammjenks Posted 29 Apr 2009 , 2:41pm
post #3 of 7

I would price it the same. My ingredient cost wouldn't be much different than the cost of the dummy, and your real investment is in the time to decorate it (which would be the same either way).

You wouldn't have the baking time and you wouldn't have to do the doweling, so if you wanted to take off a little $ for that you could. I wouldn't, but it is up to you.

calivettie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
calivettie Posted 29 Apr 2009 , 2:48pm
post #4 of 7

I agree with Minstrelmiss!

Also, cake dummies are not cheap, they are probably close to what you would be paying for cost of ingredients to bake that cake.

KristyCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KristyCakes Posted 29 Apr 2009 , 3:23pm
post #5 of 7

Thanks so much! I always hear that's how brides want to save money... Maybe it's in the faux cake rental business where they can spend less.

Minstrelmiss Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Minstrelmiss Posted 29 Apr 2009 , 3:49pm
post #6 of 7

I wish I could post a reply to the dummies who write the articles telling brides this! *Shouting with hands cupped around mouth: "Hey Brides! Dummies are to make cakes bigger, not cheaper!" icon_razz.gif

jenmat Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jenmat Posted 29 Apr 2009 , 5:05pm
post #7 of 7

Ha ha! SO true! I don't offer dummies, because then I have to explain why the price isn't much different. There are people in my area who do that exclusively, and if they want fake cake, they can go to them. Unless you're going to make the cake bigger, like minstrelmiss said, its just kind of tacky!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%