Cuttlefish Cake

Decorating By hknight Updated 29 Apr 2009 , 6:36pm by hknight

hknight Posted 29 Apr 2009 , 1:06pm
post #1 of 4

I need to make a cuttlefish cake for my niece's 18th birthday. Any ideas on how to accomplish this? Has anyone out there ever made a cuttlefish cake? I have pictures of cuttlefish to go by and would like to make the cake shaped like a cuttlefish instead of just having a picture on a cake.

3 replies
pipercakes Posted 29 Apr 2009 , 5:41pm
post #3 of 4

If you want a singe, large cuttlefish, then it seems like your best bet is a shaped cake, covered in fondant with fondant mouth-tentacles.

I know you would prefer not to put a picture of cuttlefish on a plain cake, but how about a tiered ocean-themed cake. You could mold little cuttlefish out of fondant and place all around or on top instead of one giant one made of cake. There could be other sea creatures, seaweed, shells, coral, etc or just cuttlefish.

hknight Posted 29 Apr 2009 , 6:36pm
post #4 of 4

Yes, I did see this one picture but I really don't like the looks of it. I was thinking about a shaped cake... maybe using a football shape to start out and shaping it by hand and then covering with fondant.

I really like the idea of an ocean theme cake with little fondant cuttlefish. That would be easier, I think and may be much more visually appealing. I will run this idea by my niece. If she is set on a cuttlefish shaped cake, I may have to wing it!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%