Support For A Hamburger Cake?

Decorating By cakebaker1978 Updated 1 May 2009 , 10:32pm by SpringFlour

cakebaker1978 Posted 29 Apr 2009 , 5:28am
post #1 of 10

Hey CC!

I was wondering if anyone new if I would need a support for a hamburger cake.....like dowels etc. Here is an example pic of what I am talking about just to get an eye's view! What does everything think? thumbs_up.gificon_confused.gif
LL

9 replies
chilz822 Posted 29 Apr 2009 , 5:34am
post #2 of 10

Dang that's a great burger!
icon_wink.gif
I'm actually doing one tomorrow, I won't be using supports... it's my first so don't use me as an example as it will be an experiment!
But... seriously I hope it looks half as good as that one!

cakebaker1978 Posted 29 Apr 2009 , 4:23pm
post #3 of 10

Thanks chilz822!! icon_biggrin.gif

Has anyone done a hamburger cake that would have an answer on the support issue?? Any opinions?? icon_biggrin.gificon_biggrin.gificon_biggrin.gificon_biggrin.gif

Debluvs2bake Posted 29 Apr 2009 , 4:26pm
post #4 of 10

I made a two layer crabby pattie for a spongebob cake and did not use dowels nor supports. I had a RKT SB on top, no issues and it traveled 60 miles.

DFlint Posted 29 Apr 2009 , 4:30pm
post #5 of 10

I used to make hamburger cakes years ago, and didn't use any supports. I don't know what you're using for the patty itself, but i used a single layer devils food cake unfrosted, I suppose you cut even use a cake leveler to cut that layer in half but i never did., Good luck

SpringFlour Posted 29 Apr 2009 , 4:35pm
post #6 of 10

I made this hamburger cake, with no supports. I was basically 3 2" high cakes.
http://www.cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=gallery&file=displayimage&pid=935193
I had no problems.

cakebaker1978 Posted 29 Apr 2009 , 4:48pm
post #7 of 10

Thanks everyone!! That helps me out so much!!!

Springflour:

What pan did you use for the top part of the bun?? Your hamburger is great!!!

I have an array of ceramic bowls. Do you know if I can bake a cake in a ceramic bowl?

Win Posted 29 Apr 2009 , 4:49pm
post #8 of 10

I made one years ago and did not use supports. I have one coming up in May and did not even consider needing any.

DFlint Posted 29 Apr 2009 , 4:54pm
post #9 of 10

When I made mine I would allow one cake to rise in the center and left it like that, and just hoped that it looked like a natural bun to me.

SpringFlour Posted 1 May 2009 , 10:32pm
post #10 of 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by cakebaker1978

Thanks everyone!! That helps me out so much!!!

Springflour:

What pan did you use for the top part of the bun?? Your hamburger is great!!!

I have an array of ceramic bowls. Do you know if I can bake a cake in a ceramic bowl?

Sorry, I hope this reply isn't too late...I apparently didn't checked my e-mail yesterday!

I baked the top in a Pyrex bowl. I just found the one in my cabinet that had the same circumference as the cake pan I was using. (It was probably an 8", but that doesn't really matter.)

You can bake in ceramic, as long as it is oven-proof. I turned the temp down a bit when baking in the bowl...it was probably about 325 degrees. It takes a little longer to bake than a regular cake.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%