Rolled Cookie Recipe

Baking By MOMONCALL456 Updated 1 May 2009 , 12:15pm by GeminiRJ

MOMONCALL456 Posted 29 Apr 2009 , 4:20am
post #1 of 17

I am a relative novice at cut out cookies
i want to make some for my best friend's baby shower- can anyone give me a fail proof recipe for cookies which will be fail prrof.
i have tried a bunch but none retain the shape
please help- need to work on them this weekend
thanks in advance

16 replies
GeminiRJ Posted 29 Apr 2009 , 8:23pm
post #2 of 17

Use the NFSC recipe from this site. I use a very, very similar recipe. The only real difference is that the recipe I use is half the size. And I never chill the dough. Mix and cut and bake!

1 cup butter
1 cup sugar
2 tsp. vanilla
1 large egg
2 tsp. baking powder
3 cups flour

Cream together the butter and sugar until light and fluffy (about 3 min). Add the egg and vanilla and beat until well mixed. In a separate bowl, mix together the flour and baking powder. Add the flour mixture to the creamed mixture by thirds, mixing only until combined. Lightly flour a sheet of waxed paper. Place a disk of the dough onto the surface and lightly dust with flour. Roll your dough to 1/4" thickness (if you place a 1/4" dowel on each side of the paper and roll your rolling pin along them you should have an even dough thickness for your cookies). Bake on ungreased cookie sheets at 350 degrees for 10-12 minutes.

GayeG Posted 29 Apr 2009 , 8:30pm
post #3 of 17

Yummy! Thanx for sharing your version Gemini =)

shelli72 Posted 29 Apr 2009 , 8:35pm
post #4 of 17

Could you use this recipe for cut-outs also?

GayeG Posted 29 Apr 2009 , 9:03pm
post #5 of 17

I cant speak for Gemini but I believe thats what its for shelli!!!

bakinccc Posted 29 Apr 2009 , 10:16pm
post #6 of 17

I use the exact same recipe as Gemini and love it. It spreads a little but still retains the shapes well.

CakeDiva73 Posted 29 Apr 2009 , 10:48pm
post #7 of 17

I was wondering if annyone had one that DIDN"T spread. icon_smile.gif I always used NFSC but it spreads and doesn't give nice, thick cut edges. I use colder butter, I refridgerate the dough, I pop the trays in the freezer after they're cut - nothing works.

Any Ideas?

MOMONCALL456 Posted 30 Apr 2009 , 4:15am
post #8 of 17

thanks
i will try it this weekend and let you know how it turned out

Lcubed82 Posted 30 Apr 2009 , 4:45am
post #9 of 17

CakeDiva,
Have you tried reducing or eliminating the baking powder? I only use 1/2 the amt called for, and my edges stay nice and straight.

patticakesnc Posted 30 Apr 2009 , 5:39am
post #10 of 17

Anyone have a recipe other than NFSC. I just really don't like the taste of it. I am not a huge sugar cookie fan though. I tried adding a different flavoring to it as well but still wasn't WOWed.

CakeDiva73 Posted 30 Apr 2009 , 6:29am
post #11 of 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by lcubed82

CakeDiva,
Have you tried reducing or eliminating the baking powder? I only use 1/2 the amt called for, and my edges stay nice and straight.

No, I haven't tried this but I will!! Thanks for the tip.

GayeG Posted 30 Apr 2009 , 11:32am
post #12 of 17

Another tip to stop spreading is not to cream your sugar/butter mixture as long as you normally would - as air = spreading
HTH

GeminiRJ Posted 30 Apr 2009 , 11:57am
post #13 of 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by lcubed82

CakeDiva,

I've started to do this, too, though I can't say I've had much trouble with spreading. I've noticed that when I make the chocolate version of this recipe (adding 3 oz. of premelted baking chocolate when I add the egg and vanilla), there is almost zero spread. My sister likes the chocolate best, and will eat it without icing. I still like the added sweetness of icing! Also, you can add 1 cup of mini-chocolate chips after the flour is mixed in. Yumm! Double chocolate!

TracyLH Posted 30 Apr 2009 , 12:06pm
post #14 of 17

Thanks, Gemini! I haven't played with chocolate yet!

CakeDiva73 Posted 1 May 2009 , 12:26am
post #15 of 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeminiRJ

I've started to do this, too, though I can't say I've had much trouble with spreading. I've noticed that when I make the chocolate version of this recipe (adding 3 oz. of premelted baking chocolate when I add the egg and vanilla), there is almost zero spread. My sister likes the chocolate best, and will eat it without icing. I still like the added sweetness of icing! Also, you can add 1 cup of mini-chocolate chips after the flour is mixed in. Yumm! Double chocolate!

I am going to try this chocolate recipe but when you say baking chocolate, do you mean unsweetened? Like Baker's Chocolate? Or just a good, melted chocolate? thanks

bonniebakes Posted 1 May 2009 , 11:58am
post #16 of 17

I use a modified version of the NFSC recipe, too. It's the same recipe as Gemini, except I only use 1 t. baking powder.

GeminiRJ Posted 1 May 2009 , 12:15pm
post #17 of 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by CakeDiva73

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeminiRJ

I am going to try this chocolate recipe but when you say baking chocolate, do you mean unsweetened? Like Baker's Chocolate? Or just a good, melted chocolate? thanks

I use Nestle brand, yes it's unsweetened, and it's in the baking supply aisle...yellow box. The chocolate comes in 1 oz. premelted packets. You just run some hot water over the packet, tear open, and squeeze. I know you can use cocoa powder mixed with vegetable oil...I think the conversion is on the can.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%