Rant - I Hurt My Piping Hand!

Decorating By auntmamie Updated 30 Apr 2009 , 1:46am by JenniferMI

auntmamie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
auntmamie Posted 29 Apr 2009 , 2:58am
post #1 of 14

All I had to do for cakes this week was to try out some new drop string techniques. But then I had to go and do dishes. And I broke a glass, slashing into my right hand. Not bad enough for stitches, but the ER put sutures on. And gave me a new tetanus shot (OUCH). And all of this was after finding a termite (i think) in my kitchen. So now, no cakes until my hand heals, because of where the injury is, and I have a sink of dirty dishes that I'm going to have to try to wash one handed.

icon_cry.gificon_cry.gificon_cry.gificon_cry.gificon_cry.gificon_cry.gif

Can this day get any worse??????

13 replies
txsteph Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
txsteph Posted 29 Apr 2009 , 3:07am
post #2 of 14

I am so sorry! I hope you heal fast & things look better for you soon.

jimandmollie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jimandmollie Posted 29 Apr 2009 , 3:08am
post #3 of 14

OMG You poor thing!!!!!

You sit your bottom down on the couch and have a drink of something alcoholic. Watch some TV and go to bed. LEAVE THE DISHES. They will be there tomorrow. Trust me. icon_smile.gif

Hope tomorrow goes better for you!

cricket0616 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cricket0616 Posted 29 Apr 2009 , 3:09am
post #4 of 14

So sorry!! Here is a wish tomorrow is a much better day.

Misdawn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Misdawn Posted 29 Apr 2009 , 3:28am
post #5 of 14

Take a pain pill and have a beer...you won't care anymore! (Just a joke...not actually advocating taking meds with alcohol.)

SugarFrosted Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SugarFrosted Posted 29 Apr 2009 , 5:17am
post #6 of 14

Speaking as an ER nurse for 10 years, stitches and sutures are the same thing. Do you mean they used steri-strips? That's special tape that holds the cut together. Or did they use superglue? Superglue is common these days. I'm just curious.

It will take a while for the wound to seal completely. Be patient with yourself. Keep your hand elevated. Ice helps the throbbing and swelling. The pain pill is a good idea, but will be potentiated (effect increased) by alcohol. Be careful icon_smile.gif

Wear rubber gloves when washing dishes, but wait to do that tomorrow or later. The heat will make it hurt more.

Good Luck! Feel Better!

pastrychef22 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pastrychef22 Posted 29 Apr 2009 , 5:41am
post #7 of 14

I feel sorry for you. I know what it is like to not be able to work on cakes because of injuries. Earlier this year I was getting some dishes for a job I had from my storage room downstairs and the next thing i know i had fallen down 10 steps and broke all the dishes with my shoulder. The worst part was all I was worried about was the 50th anniversary party cake I had to do the next morning. It might not have been so bad but there was no way I was going to be able to roll the fondant out. I had to call in help and jsut watch it was awful. I feel your pain.

justducky Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
justducky Posted 29 Apr 2009 , 10:01am
post #8 of 14

I am so sorry this happened. Hang in there!

grama_j Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
grama_j Posted 29 Apr 2009 , 10:25am
post #9 of 14

(((( HUG ))))
That is the biggest hug they would let me give you..... hope it helps.....

Evoir Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Evoir Posted 29 Apr 2009 , 10:33am
post #10 of 14

Oh you poor thing! I hope you heal quickly, hon.

(((hugs)))

dmhart Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dmhart Posted 29 Apr 2009 , 10:37am
post #11 of 14

So sorry this happened to you. Take it easy and don't worry it will all work out. Sending big hugs your way!

Misdawn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Misdawn Posted 29 Apr 2009 , 3:12pm
post #12 of 14

I know how you feel. The first time I ever did a groom's cake for a nonfamily customer I got an infection in my leg. I had to talk my sister through each step of making the cake (she DOESN'T cook anything!) then she delivered the cake and delivered me to the hospital where I spent immediately had surgery and spent two weeks recovering. By God that cake got done though! And it actually looked good! Even my sister was shocked.

Hang in there. You'll be back in the kitchen in no time!

auntmamie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
auntmamie Posted 29 Apr 2009 , 11:19pm
post #13 of 14

Thank you all so much! It's bandaged, and not hurting today, but I'm going to take it easy for a few days. And SugarFrosted, you're right, they are Steri-strips. I was so tired last night after getting home from the ER that I called them the wrong thing.

Again, thank you all so much for the hugs. It's good to know that I'm among friends, especially those who know how bad it can be to decorate with an injury!

JenniferMI Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JenniferMI Posted 30 Apr 2009 , 1:46am
post #14 of 14

I'm so sorry.... not a good thing icon_sad.gif

Best wishes for a speedy hand recovery!

Jen icon_smile.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%