Is It A Good Idea To Make Your Own Wedding Cake?

Decorating By fallonb2000 Updated 29 Apr 2009 , 9:01pm by -K8memphis

fallonb2000 Posted 29 Apr 2009 , 2:32am
post #1 of 18

I am thinking about making a stacked cake for my wedding in October. I am a cake hobbiest and made my friend's wedding cake a few years ago. My fiance thinks that it could be a disaster, but I think I could do it (also I am on a fixed budget). Has anyone else here made their own cake? What was your experience?

17 replies
TexasSugar Posted 29 Apr 2009 , 3:00am
post #2 of 18

In my opinion I would have to sit down and think long and hard about it. There are alot of things that factor in to it. How big of a cake do you need? Have you made a cake that big? Have you done alot of tiered cakes? Do you really have time to do it? Remember while you can bake and making icing in advance there are still alot of things that need to be done in the days before as well as set up. If you are working that week or have alot of other things scheduled that week, you may be asking for trouble doing the cake too. Remember you want to have time to sleep as well.

cakesdivine Posted 29 Apr 2009 , 4:07am
post #3 of 18

I did my grooms cake 25 years ago...I burned it 2 times before getting it right. Way too much work to do with all the other stuff you have to do before the ceremony. I don't suggest doing it yourself, unless you have been married before...LOL! Find someone you trust to make your cake wonderfully, and design the cake yourself, just make sure it is a design within your budget. icon_smile.gif

cuteums Posted 29 Apr 2009 , 4:23am
post #4 of 18

I don't think it is a good idea. You have so much to do the day before the wedding that baking and decorating a cake should be the last thing on your mind. I've made cakes for parties I have attended and I am exhausted for the whole party. I end up staying way too late and have a buttercream covered house the next day.

poohthebear Posted 29 Apr 2009 , 4:26am
post #5 of 18

My vote would be don't do it. Aren't you under enough stress as it is?? Hair, nails, dress, flowers, in-laws, out-laws, not only for yourself but making sure everyone else is ready?? Cut the budget somewhere else and enjoy your day honey. icon_biggrin.gif After all you only plan on doing this one time right? You'll have chances to make plenty of cakes all the b-day cakes for all the "new" relatives, then soon there will be pitty patters around your own house, there's more cake. Lol Love the idea but no you really will be stressed enough.

LeckieAnne Posted 29 Apr 2009 , 4:37am
post #6 of 18

I vote no. I made my own, and ended up getting like no sleep the night before - and didn't have time to get my hair done. I cried for a 1/2 hour before the ceremony (which was obvious on my face). It all turned out ok in the end - but I would never do it again. Although I got married early and had a brunch reception - so not much time to spare in the morning there, but I still won't do it again. As a matter of fact, I told my daughter (she's 21) when she gets married - I'm not making her cake either - I just want to enjoy the day. Although I'll have to shop long and hard to find the right decorator! LOL

margaretb Posted 29 Apr 2009 , 7:15am
post #7 of 18

I made my own wedding cake. I think it is okay to do. I would say it has to be something that can be done TWO days ahead of the wedding. Or at the least, most design elements will have to be completed. Mine was a chocolate cake with white chocolate icing and royal icing roses and not much else. So the roses were made a few days ahead, although I miscalculated and instead of a nice big pile it was a teeny tiny pile. Oh well. Make sure you will have storage/refrigerator space for the cake. Do not make it anything that is hard to set up, and preferably have it something that someone else could be called on to set up if need be. I mean, if I was rolling in money, I would hire it out, but if this is where your talent lies AND you have budget concerns AND you can plan it out so that you are not doing it on your wedding morning in your wedding gown with your wedding hair, I don't see what is wrong with it. Some people make fancy centrepieces. Some people do their own flowers. Just be aware that you will definitely be feeling a time crunch when you are working on your cake and it will be that much added stress. I would still do my own cake again (although that's an easy call here because the ONLY option if you don't know someone who bakes is grocery/generic bakery style cake), although I would give myself more time for it/start earlier and be more relaxed about whether it was perfect or not (it was NOT and I got a little stressed).

supermama322 Posted 29 Apr 2009 , 8:13am
post #8 of 18

Ok! So I will post my opinion and story...
I absolutely say Yes Yes Yes to making your own wedding cake. I did it and I am so incredibly happy I did!
When my husband and I got engaged in December of 2007, we knew we wanted to save money anywhere possible. We set the date for our wedding in March of 2008. The date we chose was November 29th, 2008. I had NEVER made a cake before... I had 8 months to learn. I made my first cake shortly after for my daughters 1st birthday. It was 3 tiers, 3 flavors and buttercream. The fondant I made just didn't work out the night before.... LOL, anyways, I learned quickly and 8 months later it was time to do the cake. It was my 4th tiered cake but I felt confident.
I might add, I also DIY'd our centerpieces, favors (candy bar!), all our decorations (I helped set them up at our venue the night before), our invitations were made by me, and many more things.

I did the cake the day before my wedding. I got up early that morning, my hubby and bridesmaids went and got me coffee and I got started.

It was 4 tiers, white chocolate cake with raspberry filling. It was covered in fondant and finished with alternating layers of sparkle sugar and luster dust to resemble fresh snow and accented with silver dragees. 7 hours later, I was all done and I went to the mall to get my nails done at 5:30pm. After the nails and after the rehearsal AND after the decorating, we took the cake to the venue later that night, and I got to bed at a modest midnight after visiting with my godparents for a while. It was incredibly relaxed and my Mom went to the venue that day and spruced up the cake table as a surprise.

As we walked into our reception as husband and wife, all our family and friends knew I had come a long way and worked very hard to learn the tricks of cake. As I walked by the cake table with my hubby, I said, "Oh! What a beautiful cake! I wonder who made it!" icon_lol.gif
Everyone had a good laugh. My wedding scrapbook has a very sentimental page dedicated to the cake and my journey into cake making. Thank goodness I made that decision or I wouldn't be doing what I love now!

It's a wonderful memory for us and was so much fun!

majka_ze Posted 29 Apr 2009 , 8:17am
post #9 of 18

Well, it can be done...
In my opinion, the cake itself is not as big problem - you need to schedule it well and be sure to finish it the day before the wedding in the morning at latest.

But it has one BIG problem: You need somebody else to set this cake and this person needs to know how to do it. And it cannot be somebody with "job" in the wedding itself - this means not MOB, not MOG, not a bridesmaid... Can you find such person? And his/her skill dictates partly the cake itself - you want to avoid "risky" / "touchy" cake when the person has only basic skill in setting the cake up. In this, I completely agree with margaretb.

Bunsen Posted 29 Apr 2009 , 9:10am
post #10 of 18

I did mine, and no regrets! However, it was all fruit cake covered in fondant so I could get it made and decorated well in advance. Also it was set up by the caterers so I didn't need to do anything on the day - just drop it off at the venue the day before.

Have a long hard think about all the logistics before you decide to do it as you will be more stressed and busy in the days leading up to your big day than you can ever imagine now! The money you can save is huge but not necessarily worth the stress it may cause.

Good luck!

scgriffiths Posted 29 Apr 2009 , 10:27am
post #11 of 18

I made mine too, and wouldn't have had it any other way!! I also had fruit cake, so I had plenty of time to work on it, but it was 5 tiers, and I set it up myself, before going to the hairdresser. I also made my wedding dress and I certainly wouldn't recommend taking on both tasks! I think it can be done if you're really organised.

Evoir Posted 29 Apr 2009 , 10:29am
post #12 of 18

I was going to say (bunsen got in before me!) if you do an Australian or even British style cake you can do lots of it weeks ahead. Fruit cake can be made months in advance as it improves with age! Once you seal it with fondant (or marzipan and fondant) or marzipan and RI you can add ribbons etc. I would do my GP flowers weeks in advance too - just ensure they dry properly in a dark place as they will fade in the light.

If you want a US-style cake, I would make the cake well ahead and torte and freeze it. Have your cake board and decorations made weeks in advance (again if using GP flowers make well in advance and store properly, already assembled and wired. Several days before the big day make up all your buttercream(s) etc.

So. There is lots you can do in advance, and so long as you aren't too fussed about a thawed cake, it should be okay! I would definitely do it, but time management is crucial, and yes, the assembly will need to be left with someone who KNOWS what they are doing!!

Good luck with it icon_smile.gif

jennicita Posted 29 Apr 2009 , 10:49am
post #13 of 18

I think it really depends on what kind of bride you are and what kind of wedding you're planning. I did mine but I'm also about as laid back as you can get when it comes to weddings. It was pretty much a DIY wedding with a catered buffet in the church hall. Friends and family helped out with a lot of different things (decorations, flowers, etc.) which left me time to get the cakes done. Without them, I wouldn't have managed. Also, definitely get as much done ahead of time as you can and organize your time.

Decide what's important to you and go for it! I'd do it again without a moment's hesitation! Of course here in Germany I hate the look of traditional wedding cakes so that just wouldn't be an option anyway!

Good luck!

clovely Posted 29 Apr 2009 , 11:12am
post #14 of 18

I think jennicita is right - and supermama is the exception to the rule - way extraordinary and not something most people could pull off the way she did! IMO, if you could pretty much make this cake in your sleep - if it's that simple or you're just that good, then go for it. If not, IMO, it's just biting off more than you can chew. There's way too much going on to put that all on your shoulders. I made all the flowers for my cake way ahead of time because I wanted a hand in it. But there was no way I was going to be baking and decorating and trusting someone else to set something up. That would've sent me right over the edge! I hired a friend of a friend who took my flowers, plopped them on a very simple cake and stacked it for me. It was great!

Rylan Posted 29 Apr 2009 , 11:46am
post #15 of 18

The question is, do you have the time and the help you would need to finish your cake without feeling exhausted on your wedding day?

If you are definitely sure you can pull it off without the hassle then do it but if you are not sure then ask youself, is it worth the risk?

This depends on every situation. Some people have big weddings some prefer a small one. Some brides wants a big detailed cake some just want a simple one. Some brides have a lot to do to prepare everything on her wedding day while some has plently of time to rest and wait. As I said, it depends on your situation and that will tell if you should do it or not.

sugarmamma03 Posted 29 Apr 2009 , 4:53pm
post #16 of 18

Here is what I would do: I would DEFINITELY do my own wedding cake...

BUT....!! I would do the cake completely in styrofoam. THat way you can decorate it just the way you want it and it is done way in advance! I personally don't care about the cake cutting, so that wouldn't matter to me, but if you want, you could do all styrofoam except for the bottom or top tier which would be a lot less work then doing the entire cake real.
Have a few sheet cakes in the kitchen to serve to the guests. Most guests don't like the taste of fondant anyways.

summernoelle Posted 29 Apr 2009 , 8:27pm
post #17 of 18

I think it depends on how comfortable you are with making cakes and how organized you are. I would make my own cake, but I would do 90% of everything in advance. If you know what you are doing, and prepare for it, I say go ahead!

-K8memphis Posted 29 Apr 2009 , 9:01pm
post #18 of 18

How apropos for me to see this today. My gf just got married and she showed me her pictures like an hour ago. She consulted with me on it but she did her own cake--she had her Mom & sister & friends help though--but look how pretty --if the link works--it's slide #22

http://share.shutterfly.com/view/flashShareSlideshow.jsp?sid=2QcsWrdwxZOeg

Then I have an article I wrote on doing my daughter's cake which is pretty revealing I think and of course I did my own cake 30 years ago.

Article: http://forums.egullet.org/index.php?showtopic=68445

It can be done successfully. But weigh it all very carefully.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%