How Do You Do Chocolate Transfers?

Decorating By kaylannicholasmommy Updated 29 Apr 2009 , 3:00pm by cakeymom

kaylannicholasmommy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kaylannicholasmommy Posted 29 Apr 2009 , 1:23am
post #1 of 6

I've seen several cakes with chocolate transfers, how do you do them?

5 replies
SueBuddy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SueBuddy Posted 29 Apr 2009 , 1:30am
post #2 of 6

There are a few different ways to do chocolate transfers on cakes, depending on the look you are actually going for. The most common method is to cute the transfer to the size you need. For instance, if you are going around the sides of the cake cut it as tall as your layer and as long as you need it to wrap all the way around. Then lay the transfer down with the printed side up and using a angled spatula spread a thin layer of melted chocolate over the whole transfer. Let it cool enough that you can pick it up without the chocolate running off and wrap it around your cake (cake should be iced first). Allow the chocolate to completely set up, I like to put mine in the fridge for a few minutes. Then the plastic sheet will peel right off, leaving the pattern. Fancy Flours sells a lot of transfer sheets and if I remember correctly I think they have instructions on their website on how to use the chocolate transfer sheets.

calivettie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
calivettie Posted 29 Apr 2009 , 1:38am
post #3 of 6

Not sure which you are talking about.

Suebuddy mentioned how to do the transfers that are visible on the sides of cakes (there is actually a great youtube how-to video)

However, if you are talking about the images that you can place on or around your cake, like my winnie the pooh in my album, then you do the same as with a FBCT.

You take the image you would like to copy and place a piece of wax paper on top of it. Secure them together and make sure you are on a completely flat surface. Now, you just trace your picture. Start with the outlining color as this is your base. Then once that hardens a bit, you may want to pop it in the fridge, fill in the colors.

It really is that easy! Let me know if you have any other questions...

Good luck!
-Yvette

kaylannicholasmommy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kaylannicholasmommy Posted 29 Apr 2009 , 11:52am
post #4 of 6

Ok, now, how do you make the chocolate? what do you use? Is it wilton melts?

eatdessert1st Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
eatdessert1st Posted 29 Apr 2009 , 1:54pm
post #5 of 6

are you talking about something like color flow? You melt the chocolate and pretty much follow these directions:
http://www.sdbytracy.com/frozbutter.htm
I use a #3 tip to pipe the outline then flood the area w/ the colored chocolate. Be sure the chocolate isn't too warm or it'll bleed into the outline. I use Guittard candy melts as I don't like the taste of Wilton.
Whimsical Bakehouse book has wonderful directions for chocolate pic transfers, too.

cakeymom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakeymom Posted 29 Apr 2009 , 3:00pm
post #6 of 6

Here's a link that may help you.

http://www.countrykitchensa.com/whatshot/transfersheets.aspx

You may have ti cut and paste it.

cakeymom

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%