3D Cookies?

Baking By LesGateauxCheri Updated 2 May 2009 , 12:40am by ElectricCook

LesGateauxCheri Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LesGateauxCheri Posted 29 Apr 2009 , 12:58am
post #1 of 10

Okay - I've seen amazing pictures of the 3D cookies. How do I make them? Is it just piecing them together with royal Icing?
Thanks!
icon_smile.gif

9 replies
bethola Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bethola Posted 29 Apr 2009 , 1:07am
post #2 of 10

The 3D cookies I made were from special cutters with "slits" so they could stand. But, I'm sure you could make any cookie 3D using the same technique.

Beth in KY

shannon0407 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
shannon0407 Posted 29 Apr 2009 , 1:08am
post #3 of 10

OOoohhh I would like to know this too!

GeminiRJ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
GeminiRJ Posted 29 Apr 2009 , 2:00pm
post #4 of 10

I had nothing but problems decorating the 3D cookies that are slotted for assembly. Should they be decorated before, or after, assembly? Pros and cons for both. And assembling them was a huge pain because the slots were never clean enough to allow the pieces to fit nicely. My solution was to come up with totally different designs that don't require slots. You decorate them as you would a regular sugar cookie, and assemble them using melted CandyMelts as the glue. I had the cutters manufactured, and put together kits that include complete instruction booklets. My avatar is of the 3D clown. I've had a lot of fun with these, even though they require a bit of extra work.

shannon0407 Posted 29 Apr 2009 , 2:56pm
post #5 of 10

GiminiRJ - where do you have your cutters manufactured? I have a few ideas for cookie cutters but I don't want to try and make them myself!

GeminiRJ Posted 29 Apr 2009 , 3:02pm
post #6 of 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by shannon0407

GiminiRJ - where do you have your cutters manufactured? I have a few ideas for cookie cutters but I don't want to try and make them myself!

I had them made in India. Unfortunately, there was a minimum order of something like 100 per design, and a minimum total order cost of $500...I think. It's been a year, so I don't remember the numbers off the top of my head. I couldn't find anyone in the U.S. who could match either the price per unit, or the minimum number purchased. I found one site that requires a minimum of 10,000 cutters per design, for instance. Or was it 20,000?

shannon0407 Posted 29 Apr 2009 , 4:50pm
post #7 of 10

Holy cow! Thats a lot of cookie cutters!! Thank you for the information. icon_biggrin.gif

LesGateauxCheri Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LesGateauxCheri Posted 29 Apr 2009 , 10:47pm
post #8 of 10

Gemini - Your cookies were actually what I was talking about. I love them. What is in the center connected to the feet? Is that a marshmallow? Kudos to having your own manufactured. They are adorable!!!

GeminiRJ Posted 30 Apr 2009 , 11:52am
post #9 of 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by LesGateauxCheri

Gemini - Your cookies were actually what I was talking about. I love them. What is in the center connected to the feet? Is that a marshmallow? Kudos to having your own manufactured. They are adorable!!!

Yes, the center is a marshmallow coated in the same glace as I use to decorate the cookies. I've found that rolling the coated marshmallow in sanding sugar gives it a really nice look, as well as added interest (especially for kids!).

ElectricCook Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ElectricCook Posted 2 May 2009 , 12:40am
post #10 of 10

I have the cookie cutters that GeminiRJ had made. I got them from her thumbs_up.gif . I have a pic in my photos of a 3D turkey icon_smile.gif . They were easy to make and her instructions were great. I decorated them assembly line style. I made them for my son's class for Thanksgiving.

I bought an extra cutter set for my friend who likes to do cookies also.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%