Quote:
Originally Posted by Normita

Quote:
Originally Posted by sugarshack

Quote:
Originally Posted by Normita

Quote:
Originally Posted by sugarshack

you can pur it as a glaze, whip it for filling and piping, and use a thickened version for icing your cake or under fondnat!

Sharon...do you use the same recipe for whatever you decide to use the ganache for? I mean....if you want to pour it you just use the ganache once it is cooled and pourable....if you want to use it as a filling you let it thicken and whip it...and if you want to use as a icing under the fondant you let it thicken to a consistency that is easy to frost??? Sorry, I know this sounds confusing.....but hope this makes sense icon_confused.gif

Sharon...when you use ganache under fondant do you always use the chocolate ganache even though your fondant might be white?? I mean, can you see the chocolate through the white fondant...or can you use white morsels to create a white ganache?

I am no ganche expert but I will tell you what I know:

1) to pour as a glaze use one part semi sweet choc to one part cream, but it has to cool enough to pour right.

2) to use it as a basecoat under fondnat, use a 2:1 ratio choc to cream and let it cool to a paste and apply like BC. It will harden nicely overnight.

3) For the whipped kind, I THINK you use the 1:1 ratio, fridge it, or let it cool at room temp, then whip with mixer. you can ice with that or use as filling

ganache experts please correct me where I am wrong...

Thanks Sharon...this helps alot icon_smile.gif You are always sooo helpful. I have used the recipe from Daisy Lane Cakes, the one that you have mentioned....it is so easy to make. From your experience, is there a particular chocolate you recommend?

I am cheap and lazy so I use nestle semi sweet chips!

They say the better the choc, the better the ganache will taste. I do not have a picky palette so chips work fine for me!

cheftaz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cheftaz Posted 1 May 2009 , 2:13pm
post #62 of 85
Quote:
Originally Posted by fiddlesticks

cheftaz.. Love your pumpkin Albums!

Thanks Fiddlesticks icon_biggrin.gificon_smile.gif

CanadianCakin Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CanadianCakin Posted 1 May 2009 , 9:05pm
post #63 of 85

Wow thanks everyone this turned out to be a great thread i've learnt more then expected!! I did it to!! I had some large Belgian chocolate bars the kids got for Easter and used that for the chocolate....We had some strawberries in the fridge and my husband seriously begged me to dip them after he tried the ganache!!!! I'm won over now! There is no going back I will forever be a ganache user!!!!! Thank you so much!!!!

http://www.cakecentral.com/cake-photo_1357854.html

aquamom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
aquamom Posted 3 May 2009 , 11:58am
post #64 of 85

Okay for some reason my ganache has tiny bumps in it. I thought I headed it to the right temp. It is currently cooling. What to do? I dont' have time to make more.

Right now I think I'll just whip it it up and then pipe it on. Any other ideas? Thanks all

Bunsen Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Bunsen Posted 3 May 2009 , 12:04pm
post #65 of 85
Quote:
Originally Posted by aquamom

Okay for some reason my ganache has tiny bumps in it. I thought I headed it to the right temp. It is currently cooling. What to do? I dont' have time to make more.

Right now I think I'll just whip it it up and then pipe it on. Any other ideas? Thanks all

Sounds like the chocolate hasn't melted properly - just put the bowl over gently boiling water and keep stirring until it is smooth, use a whisk to stir and it will be smooth in no time. If you don't melt it down again you won't get the lumps out.

aquamom Posted 3 May 2009 , 1:41pm
post #66 of 85

Bunsen--

Thanks so much!!! I'll try that.
Aquamom

cheftaz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cheftaz Posted 3 May 2009 , 2:33pm
post #67 of 85

and if that doesn't work...pass it thru a fine mesh sieve

aquamom Posted 3 May 2009 , 7:51pm
post #68 of 85

Well reheating did work. Thanks for the help. The next step was using the sieve. I ended up adding powdered sugar to make a thick frosting. They weren't pretty enough to just dip in the ganache

I took them to a fundraiser. Seems like the healthier foods were going much faster but everyone did like little fondant dolphins that I put on the top icon_smile.gif .

I rushed out of the house so fast I forgot to take a pix.
Thanks for helping me out this morning. I really appreciate it!!!

ahuvas Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ahuvas Posted 4 May 2009 , 11:17am
post #69 of 85

Bunsen - Do you weigh everything including cream? i.e. do you do 100 grams cream to 200 grams of chocolate?

Also I used 70 percent cocoa chocolate but I found it too bitter - will 40 percent be OK? (its the next level down in the chocolate brand i am using).

Bunsen Posted 4 May 2009 , 12:27pm
post #70 of 85
Quote:
Originally Posted by ahuvas

Bunsen - Do you weigh everything including cream? i.e. do you do 100 grams cream to 200 grams of chocolate?

Also I used 70 percent cocoa chocolate but I found it too bitter - will 40 percent be OK? (its the next level down in the chocolate brand i am using).

Yes I weigh everything - it's easier to put my pan on the digital scales and pour in the cream than to use a measuring jug, less washing up too icon_wink.gif

I think 40% would be fine - you might find its a bit softer as its the cocoa solids that determine how solid it will set, but you can use slightly less cream if that causes problems.

ceshell Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ceshell Posted 4 May 2009 , 5:15pm
post #71 of 85

ahuvas, you can also combine some of your 70% with some of your 40%. Normal semisweet is around...50-60% I believe?

classiccake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
classiccake Posted 4 May 2009 , 9:50pm
post #72 of 85

galliesway,

Here is my recipe for ganache:

1 qt. half and half
1/2 c. granulated sugar
1/2 c. butter
4 1/2 pounds of semi-sweet chocolate chips

Heat and stir to boil the half and half, butter, and sugar. Pour over the chips and stir with a wire whisk until mixture is smooth.

galliesway Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
galliesway Posted 5 May 2009 , 3:15am
post #73 of 85

Thanks classiccake!!!! icon_biggrin.gif

mellee Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mellee Posted 5 May 2009 , 10:27am
post #74 of 85

Thank you classiccake. That looks good! I take it that it makes a LOT. Can it be refrigerated and reheated to use again? Thanks for your help! icon_smile.gif

JulyMama Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JulyMama Posted 21 May 2009 , 6:09pm
post #75 of 85

OK, I have a silly question, would the 2:1 ratio for under fondant be just cream and chocolate and nothing else? or do you add anything else to it?
Thanks!

bakermommy4 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bakermommy4 Posted 21 May 2009 , 6:48pm
post #76 of 85

When you use ganache under fondant...do you apply the fondant before or after the ganache sets? This thread is so awesome, I can't wait to get started with ganache.

kookykakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kookykakes Posted 21 May 2009 , 7:09pm
post #77 of 85

Ganache is one of my favorites to use, especially under fondant. It allows me to get such smooth clean edges. I brush the ganache with vanilla before adding my fondant.

We got our recipe from a book called Chocolate Cakes for Weddings and Celebrations by John Slattery. LOVE IT!

JulyMama Posted 21 May 2009 , 8:37pm
post #78 of 85
Quote:
Originally Posted by JulyMama

OK, I have a silly question, would the 2:1 ratio for under fondant be just cream and chocolate and nothing else? or do you add anything else to it?
Thanks!

I was scared my question would get lost and I really need an answer, lol!
I just bought the chocolate and cream so I can make it on Sunday.
Thanks!

Bunsen Posted 21 May 2009 , 10:37pm
post #79 of 85
Quote:
Originally Posted by JulyMama

Thanks!

Yep, thats all you need!

JulyMama Posted 21 May 2009 , 10:41pm
post #80 of 85

thanks Bunsen!

Bunsen Posted 21 May 2009 , 10:43pm
post #81 of 85
Quote:
Originally Posted by bakermommy4

When you use ganache under fondant...do you apply the fondant before or after the ganache sets? This thread is so awesome, I can't wait to get started with ganache.

Leave the ganache overnight after you make it and it will set up to a really stiff paste. Stir it up with your spatula a little at a time as you apply it so it becomes a little more workable. Once you have covered the cake let it set for a few minutes (needs an hour at the most, I don't leave it that long usually) then it's ready to cover with fondant.

bakermommy4 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bakermommy4 Posted 22 May 2009 , 2:23am
post #82 of 85

Thanks Bunsen!!

caincakemaker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
caincakemaker Posted 22 May 2009 , 5:56am
post #83 of 85

Ganache, I don't know.. hee hee. Personally, I could bathe in the stuff!! I LOVE ganache and try diligently to talk every customer into it!

Chippi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Chippi Posted 22 May 2009 , 7:53pm
post #84 of 85

Just read this entire post because of my love for "THE GANACHE" icon_biggrin.gif
This is a great post. I recently did a mother's day cake with orange cream cake filled w/ ganache cov. in orange buttercream and topped w/ ganache. The entire family went crazy over it! I'm a diabetic so I took one small bite of my hubbys after everyone said how good it was. OMG oranges and chocolate rock together as everyone knows strawberries also. Here's the one I did:
LL

sugarshack Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sugarshack Posted 24 May 2009 , 10:56pm
post #85 of 85

In my experince with the 2:1 under fondant, after I ice the cake with the ganache, it takes 12 hours to overnight for it to firm up enough before I can apply fondant over it. One time when I made the 3D cherry cake, I used the fridge to set it up because I was pressed for time. But at normal room temp it takes overnight to get firm enough.

Just an FYI from my experience with it.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%