If I Use Vodka....

Decorating By LP4702 Updated 29 Apr 2009 , 2:49pm by aligotmatt

LP4702 Posted 28 Apr 2009 , 10:09pm
post #1 of 19

with the luster dust to 'paint' a buttercream cake, does any of the vodka get into the buttercream icing? Call me paranoid, but there will be kids at the party and I sure don't wanna get any of them intoxicated....lol!!!!

18 replies
kakeladi Posted 28 Apr 2009 , 10:18pm
post #2 of 19

Oh hon, the amount that might be there is soooooooo minor it would not effect anyone!

Cakepro Posted 28 Apr 2009 , 10:29pm
post #3 of 19

The vodka evaporates. No worries.

Parable Posted 28 Apr 2009 , 10:30pm
post #4 of 19

I covered two entire 9x13 cakes (dog tags) for kids w/ vodka (silver luster dust) and all the alcohol evaporates. I read somewhere on here that pharmacists use everclear (stronger alcohol) to clean counters and utinsils because the alcohol evaporates leaving no trace.

RobzC8kz Posted 28 Apr 2009 , 10:48pm
post #5 of 19

Like the others have said, the alcohol evaporates! I use 150% proof Everclear because it's got so much alcohol that it dries very fast!

kakeladi Posted 28 Apr 2009 , 11:09pm
post #6 of 19

........all the alcohol evaporates.............

Actually this is not trueicon_smile.gif On food network there is a show called something like 'food detective' and they show how it does not all evap.
Only about 1/3 to 1/2 does BUT........when painting you are using such a little bit it should not hurt anyone. After all......extracts are something like 80% alcohol!

LP4702 Posted 28 Apr 2009 , 11:10pm
post #7 of 19

Thanks so much for all the help!!!! It is greatly appreciated!!!!!!!

craftyone65 Posted 28 Apr 2009 , 11:37pm
post #8 of 19

This may be a silly question but how do you paint buttercream with lusterdust? I have done it with fondant but never buttercream.

lardbutt Posted 28 Apr 2009 , 11:39pm
post #9 of 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by craftyone65

This may be a silly question but how do you paint buttercream with lusterdust? I have done it with fondant but never buttercream.

I would love to know this as well!

RobzC8kz Posted 28 Apr 2009 , 11:41pm
post #10 of 19

I think the only way you can paint BC with luster dust is to thin it down with vodka and run it through an airbrush! That's the only way I've been able to do it. Clogs like an SOB because the particles are too big, but it can be done...

Cakepro Posted 29 Apr 2009 , 2:20am
post #11 of 19

The alcohol content of the liquid evaporates. That's all alcohol does is evaporate. icon_smile.gif

If your buttercream is well-crusted, you can paint on it just fine. I've done it plenty of times. I pipe over my scrollwork by mixing (in the case of the photo below) 24k ground gold and vodka. Use a good brush and paint away.

craftyone65 Posted 29 Apr 2009 , 7:07am
post #12 of 19

cakepro can you tell me where you buy your gold? Your cake is beautiful!!

Cakepro Posted 29 Apr 2009 , 12:35pm
post #13 of 19
LP4702 Posted 29 Apr 2009 , 12:44pm
post #14 of 19

wow wow wow....what a gorgeous cake Cakepro!!!!

jammjenks Posted 29 Apr 2009 , 12:49pm
post #15 of 19

I live in a dry county, so alcohol is not readily available and I'm not driving 30 minutes one way just so I can paint a few accents. I'd rather paint with orange or lemon extract anyway since the alcohol % is greater. It does dry very quickly and I'm sure it adds a little flavor in the process.

Cakepro Posted 29 Apr 2009 , 12:54pm
post #16 of 19

Vodka is used for many other things besides painting. I use it for cutting pearl dust when airbrushing, for cleaning my airbrush, for removing color from fondant if I accidentally smear something...I'm sure there are other uses but I only have half a cup of coffee on board so far. icon_biggrin.gif Don't you ever drive into alcohol territory and can pick up a bottle while you're there rather than making a special trip?

I use Absolut Mandarin vodka and it smells heavenly when airbrushing. And it's GREAT with cranberry juice! icon_biggrin.gif

cylstrial Posted 29 Apr 2009 , 1:42pm
post #17 of 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by jammjenks

I live in a dry county, so alcohol is not readily available and I'm not driving 30 minutes one way just so I can paint a few accents. I'd rather paint with orange or lemon extract anyway since the alcohol % is greater. It does dry very quickly and I'm sure it adds a little flavor in the process.

And it makes it smell delicious! I use vanilla a lot!

jammjenks Posted 29 Apr 2009 , 2:34pm
post #18 of 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cakepro

Don't you ever drive into alcohol territory and can pick up a bottle while you're there rather than making a special trip?

Yeah, I could. I have to drive past some places to get to Hobby Lobby anyway, but I always remember that I have that bottle of orange extract in my cabinet and keep on driving. A lot of the time I have my 5 year old with me and I wouldn't want to get it then either.

I do need to get a bottle sometime or another when I think of it and it is convenient.

aligotmatt Posted 29 Apr 2009 , 2:49pm
post #19 of 19

It's great to have vodka on hand, shake with some ice, cranberry juice and a squeeze of lime... have a cosmo while working.

I really do use it for everything. Just a warning though, if you are using the white fanci foil, vodka will wipe the white right off and you'll have some silver shining through.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%