What Chocolate Cake Is Best For Sculpting!

Decorating By patticakesnc Updated 29 Apr 2009 , 12:05pm by tarheelgirl

patticakesnc Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
patticakesnc Posted 28 Apr 2009 , 9:32pm
post #1 of 9

I have made many cakes that are chocolate and carved them but this one is going to be sculpted more than just carved out. I am doing a horse head and need a chocolate cake that will not fall apart when I sculpt the face.

NEED HELP NOW! DUE IN 2 DAYS and I need to bake and freeze.

Here is a pic of what she wants...
LL

8 replies
patticakesnc Posted 28 Apr 2009 , 10:05pm
post #2 of 9

bump

tarheelgirl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tarheelgirl Posted 28 Apr 2009 , 10:22pm
post #3 of 9

I have used the chocolate version of WASC to carve with. Its a dense yummy cake that does not fall apart. HTH!

patticakesnc Posted 28 Apr 2009 , 10:22pm
post #4 of 9

Thanks ...that is what I was leaning toward but haven't used it to carve yet.

ericaplh Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ericaplh Posted 28 Apr 2009 , 10:24pm
post #5 of 9

I would say the chocolate WASC (macsmom's) should be fine for this purpose, but I think you will need to carve the basic shape and the facial details should be built up with pieces of fondant and then fondant should cover the cake and the fondant detail pieces to maintain the facial structure rather than carving the cake.

Do you understand what I mean?

Maybe someone else can lend their expertise as well...

patticakesnc Posted 28 Apr 2009 , 10:51pm
post #6 of 9

I could do that except this cake is to be buttercream. Not fondant. I Think I can do this. I always worry but I am sure I can. I am baking Macsmoms wasc chocolate cake now.

tarheelgirl Posted 29 Apr 2009 , 12:14am
post #7 of 9

Looking at your cakes.. you should have no problem at all! You are very talented!! thumbs_up.gif Be sure to post a picture! icon_biggrin.gificon_biggrin.gif

patticakesnc Posted 29 Apr 2009 , 4:27am
post #8 of 9

Thank you tarheel girl. I haven't actually had anyone tell me I was talented. I have had people say they like my cakes, that I am good, but never talented. I know it is a little word but you don't know how good that makes me feel...THANK YOU.

By the way....YOU are very talented. I have looked at a lot of your cakes....you do great work!

tarheelgirl Posted 29 Apr 2009 , 12:05pm
post #9 of 9

Aww, thanks! icon_biggrin.gif I have never made a horse.. Can't wait to see your cake!!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%