"jewel" Centers

Decorating By crazymommyof3 Updated 1 May 2009 , 9:07am by shanna_banana

crazymommyof3 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
crazymommyof3 Posted 28 Apr 2009 , 7:29pm
post #1 of 7

I am doing a wedding cake in August (my first! yeah!) and the bride wants red daisies with yellow centers but she'd like the centers to be 'jewel like'. I thought luster dust, but I really want them to sparkle. I will most like do the daisies out of royal icing. Any ideas/tips to sparkle them up?

6 replies
BJ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BJ Posted 28 Apr 2009 , 8:40pm
post #2 of 7

How about using hard candies for the centers - like the clear candy that life savers are made of. I've heard you can melt them down - what about doing that and then just making dots for the centers. Another thought (althought these wouldn't be a hard center but would definately look like glass) would be to color piping gel and pipe it into the center of the flower..... Just shooting some thoughts out there.......

BJ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BJ Posted 28 Apr 2009 , 8:58pm
post #3 of 7

Check out the link that's currently on this forum called "Edible Diamonds".
One of the posts from a great person who shared has just the things your looking for if you just want to buy candy jewels. She also gives links to buy product to make your own. Check it out! I love this site. Everyone is so helpful!

sugabear Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sugabear Posted 28 Apr 2009 , 9:12pm
post #4 of 7

I would try doing the centers with yellow sprinkles....it would give it a jewel like sparkle.....

jlynnw Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jlynnw Posted 28 Apr 2009 , 9:13pm
post #5 of 7

i can't find the edible diamonds forum thread whatever icon_cry.gif

patticakesnc Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
patticakesnc Posted 28 Apr 2009 , 9:16pm
post #6 of 7

You can make them yourself. If they are just going to be circular take and make your poured sugar mixture (pm me if you need to know how) and add yellow to it. Cook it and then when you pour it just let it sit a bit (thicken not harden) used a metal round cutter to cut your shapes (dip the cutter in oil to keep it from sticking). Let it harden and break out your jewel centers.

shanna_banana Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
shanna_banana Posted 1 May 2009 , 9:07am
post #7 of 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by jlynnw

i can't find the edible diamonds forum thread whatever icon_cry.gif

This is the "edible diamonds" link:

http://www.cakecentral.com/cake-decorating-ftopic-624817-0.html

There is sooo much info there you should be able to find what you need. I also found a tip on the net that if you paint the backs of the jewels with silver luster dust (or any edible silver product) it will really make them shine.

Now I want to try this myself! Good Luck!! thumbs_up.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%