Success! I Did It And I'm Hooked!

Decorating By underthesun Updated 1 May 2009 , 3:12pm by Misdawn

underthesun Posted 28 Apr 2009 , 7:28pm
post #1 of 15

Just wanted share my excitement. I finally completed a cake I had planned and worked on for 2 weeks. With 2 days of cake disasters - My fondant failed twice (threw them away) - my original cakes were too moist and fell apart when I tried to level them - and my buttercream was too stiff (I thinned it out and it was great). I ended up using Satin Ice dark chocolate fondant and life was great. The teachers raved about the cakes and raspberry filling! They couldn't believe I made all the fondant decorations. Thanks for all the CC help and those who pepped me up after my first day of "cake disasters"!

Oh, I almost forgot, the most exciting part, I signed up to take a 3 day course at Notters School of Pastry - Collete Peters Wedding cakes. I can't wait!!!

cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=gallery&file=displayimage&pid=1356610

14 replies
pastryjen Posted 28 Apr 2009 , 7:53pm
post #2 of 15

How frustrating to have all these issues trying to get a cake done. Glad it turned out in the end...sounds delicious...raspberry and chocolate!

That class sounds awesome. Have a great time.

cylstrial Posted 29 Apr 2009 , 2:06pm
post #3 of 15

Your cake turned out super cute!
Here is the link so that everyone can just click on it! (Instead of having to copy and paste in the browswer).

http://cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=gallery&file=displayimage&pid=1356610

Bellatheball Posted 29 Apr 2009 , 6:23pm
post #4 of 15

The fondant looks so smooth. Excellent work.

JenniferMI Posted 30 Apr 2009 , 1:25am
post #5 of 15

It's WONDERFUL, great job!!

Jen icon_smile.gif

Rylan Posted 30 Apr 2009 , 1:42pm
post #6 of 15

Flawless fondant work! Love it.

LP4702 Posted 30 Apr 2009 , 2:42pm
post #7 of 15

I love it!!! You did a great job!!!

Misdawn Posted 30 Apr 2009 , 2:53pm
post #8 of 15

Wow! Your fondant IS flawless. Excellent work. Wish my fondant looked that great!

underthesun Posted 30 Apr 2009 , 9:13pm
post #9 of 15

Thanks for the fondant comments! I couldn't have done it without the Sugarshack DVD. I not only watched it through to the end, but played it on my laptop, as I worked on the cake (constantly pausing and rewinding). Completing a fondant cake tomorrow and will try without running the DVD (won't be surprised if I pull it out). Thanks again! icon_smile.gificon_smile.gif

panchanewjersey Posted 30 Apr 2009 , 9:21pm
post #10 of 15

Nice!

blondeez Posted 30 Apr 2009 , 9:23pm
post #11 of 15

Your cake is so cute. Great fondant work. It looks great.

Dizzymaiden Posted 30 Apr 2009 , 9:25pm
post #12 of 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by underthesun

Oh, I almost forgot, the most exciting part, I signed up to take a 3 day course at Notters School of Pastry - Collete Peters Wedding cakes. I can't wait!!!

cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=gallery&file=displayimage&pid=1356610

Ohhh I love classes! I am going to one at King Arthur Flour in Vermont in May. Please take photos (if you can) and pass along any good tips!

Dizzymaiden Posted 30 Apr 2009 , 9:28pm
post #13 of 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by underthesun

Thanks for the fondant comments! I couldn't have done it without the Sugarshack DVD. I not only watched it through to the end, but played it on my laptop, as I worked on the cake (constantly pausing and rewinding). Completing a fondant cake tomorrow and will try without running the DVD (won't be surprised if I pull it out). Thanks again! icon_smile.gificon_smile.gif

I am wondering if anyone has dvd's they are willing to create a swap library with? I have some as well as books.

Do you think it is too crazy of an idea because of the distance? Sort of a Netflix for CC members.

AKA_cupcakeshoppe Posted 1 May 2009 , 7:48am
post #14 of 15

OMG! Your cake is AWESOME! Fondant work is flawless and the figures are so adorable!

Misdawn Posted 1 May 2009 , 3:12pm
post #15 of 15

I like that idea Dizzy!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%