Sugar Free Cookies?

Baking By yazminlk Updated 16 May 2009 , 1:50pm by djs328

yazminlk Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
yazminlk Posted 28 Apr 2009 , 7:06pm
post #1 of 5

I have a request for a sugar free cookie bouquet. I dont have any sugar free recipes and with what would I decorate rather than the royal icing?

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated..

Thanks
Yazmin

4 replies
rhondab Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
rhondab Posted 2 May 2009 , 1:23pm
post #2 of 5

Thinned cookie dough can be piped on the unbaked cookie, then bake as usual, to get a decorated look without using an icing. Dough can be colored, just won't be as bright as an icing would be. Baked cookies can also be painted with food coloring to decorate without sugar.

I would sugest using Splenda instead of sugar in your regular cookie recipe for a sugar-free cookie. Or, here's a recipe I've used with varied success :

Sugarless Heart Cookies

1/2 cup margarine, softened
1 package (0.3 ounces) fruit flavored sugar-free gelatin
1 egg
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1 3/4 cups all purpose flour
1/2 teaspoon baking powder

Directions:
In a mixing bowl, cream together the margarine and gelatin. Beat in the egg subsitiute and vanilla. Mix together the flour and baking powder and add to the egg mixture, mixing well. Chill for 1 hour.

Preheat your oven to 400. Roll the dough mixture out on a lightly floured surface to 1/4 inch thickness. Cut out cookies with heart-shaped cookie cutters (or any shape you desire). Place the cookies on an ungreased baking sheet and bake for 6 to 7 minutes or until the bottoms are lightly browned and the cookies are set. Cool on wire racks.

imamommy1205 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
imamommy1205 Posted 2 May 2009 , 1:49pm
post #3 of 5

I have never baked with Splenda, but you could try that. I will probably be trying it out here pretty soon so I have so no sugar/low calorie cookies available.

As far as decorating goes, painting with food coloring is the only one I can think of.

denette Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
denette Posted 12 May 2009 , 9:29pm
post #4 of 5

rhondab~ I can't wait to try your recipe!

There is a Sugar substitute called Whey Low that you can buy online that doesn't leave the "after taste" that Splenda can leave. I have used it in my recipes for everything like cookies, pumpkin pie, etc. People can't even tell. You can use this in your cookies, and in making a frosting for them. You can buy it in "white sugar", powdered sugar or brown sugar versions.

www.wheylow.com

djs328 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
djs328 Posted 16 May 2009 , 1:50pm
post #5 of 5

Wow - that is very cool that they make a sugar-free 'Powdered sugar' - wondering...could you use that to make a royal icing type of cookie icing???

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%